Packing for 29 day cruise

2910car

We are going on BTB cruise in October - 14 day holy land and eastern med and then transatlantic so 29 days all together.

It's still a long way off but I am starting to wonder how much I need to pack. I know they have no guest laundry (Celebrity) but plan on using the "stuff a bag" for undies and t shirts.

My DH says one suitcase and one carry on per person - so looking for suggestions from folks who have done long cruises.

Thanks

We never travel for less than 5 weeks cruise and or land. One 22" carry on and a smaller carry on is all we have ever travelled with with exception of our first cruise. For that one we bought two 26" bags which were given away right after we realized how craze heavy they were and less is more!

So what and how much do you pack for a 5 week cruise?

Same things I'd pack for 1 or 2 weeks and do laundry. I never pack for more than 9 days. Mix and match everything in layers & weights appropriate for where I'll be traveling.

I going away next year for 3 weeks B2B (21 days) - I have 14 dresses (6 sundresses for the beach / sundeck and 8 dresses for the evening time / walking Caribbean tours), 3 heavy sweaters (2 cardigans and 1 hoodie), 3 bathing suits, enough undies for 18 days, 4 pairs for shoes (3 crocs and 1 sandals), 1 set of pjs (might get a second 2nd and/or 3rd to swap out) all in a 30 inch wheeled duffel bag - which is also my cruise wardrobe for week long Caribbean cruise anyway. My main problem is toiletries - I need to buy enough for 3 weeks but I can't buy full-size and put it in the duffel bag because it might get crushed / spill during the flight (going to Miami from NYC). So I'm going down the day before (hopefully no bad weather the day after Thanksgiving because the 1st cruise is that Saturday) and buy toiletries in Miami (preferable from Walgreens since I membership discount, all I have to do is punch in my telephone - that and I like their store brand sunscreen and body lotions #:)) plus a small bottle of detergent and febreeze to stretch out the wardrobe without needing the ship's laundry service (I hope.). :o

Edited by maywell

Hmmm this is tough. When Ive gone away for more than a week I usually just take a week's worth of clothing and do laundry but since you won't have access to laundry except having them do it, I understand how this might be more challenging. Can you take 10-14 days worth of clothing (enough tops, bottoms and undergarments for 10 days to 2 weeks) and self launder in your sink so you can wear each outfit twice?

I'd only take one all weather type jacket, one blazer, one sweater for outerwear. I'd limit to 3 pairs of shoes: 2 comfortable walking shoes and one pair of dressy evening shoes. I'd limit formalwear to one black dress OR top/pants and bring a couple of shawls and costume statement necklaces to change the look. Even the blazer or sweater can be doubled up here depending on style. bring only 2 bathing suits (one to wear and one to launder) unless you don't think you'll swim then just take one.

Wear your heaviest pants (ex. Jeans) with your clunkiest shoes and the blazer on the flight, that way you won't need to find room to pack those things.

I'm a big fan of limiting color palette and of capsule wardrobes so limit your colors to neutrals and bring costume jewelry or lightweight scarves as accessories. I think you could get away with a week's worth of clothing but if you have the room 10-14 days worth would be easy to pull off with minimal accessories.

basic bottoms....blk, brn, navy, wht, cream. silky camis, tops that dont need a press, just a steam..blk swing coat, several pieces of animal print.for evening,

basic capris/pants..some of above for layers, orcoloured sport tanks, over shirts, and a weather jacket. jewels, shoes, eve bags, I plan and stage all..cell pic them...carry on meds make up, good jewels, wine, and small stuff

We never travel for less than 5 weeks cruise and or land. One 22" carry on and a smaller carry on is all we have ever travelled with with exception of our first cruise. For that one we bought two 26" bags which were given away right after we realized how craze heavy they were and less is more!

I'd be lucky to fit my makeup, beauty products, and hair appliances in a 22" carryon!

Mix and Match, layer, do laundry, find easy to wash fabrics, pack for a week and rewear.

Lots of threads about packing light.

Two favorites are Stuff, Stuff, Stuff and 12 Days in Europe.

Look at The Vivienne Files and ladylighttravel.com for ideas.

Biggest issue (for me) would be all lotions and potions. Start by figuring out how much of each you'll need.

I know, for us, how long travel toothpaste lasts, how many uses there is in a 10ml recycled eye dropper filled with Argan oil, how many washes in a 3oz of shampoo bottle, and how many days I can get out of a contact lens case filled with hair gel.

I am watching this as we just booked a 33 nighter.

Herself is stressing over this issue.

To me the answer is obvious we are on Princess so an hour or two in the laundry each week :D.

I suspect she will also go with a lot of mix and match outfits.

Mix and Match, layer, do laundry, find easy to wash fabrics, pack for a week and rewear.

Lots of threads about packing light.

Two favorites are Stuff, Stuff, Stuff and 12 Days in Europe.

Look at The Vivienne Files and ladylighttravel.com for ideas.

Biggest issue (for me) would be all lotions and potions. Start by figuring out how much of each you'll need.

I know, for us, how long travel toothpaste lasts, how many uses there is in a 10ml recycled eye dropper filled with Argan oil, how many washes in a 3oz of shampoo bottle, and how many days I can get out of a contact lens case filled with hair gel.

Bkelieve it or not you can buy toothpaste hair gel, and shampoo and all your other needs all over the world. Sometimes it's even fun to try something new.

By the way, I find most of those products much better in Europe and in England you can buy most American brands and that's sad!!

True - my favorite places for souvenirs are grocery stores & drug stores when I travel. There are places I travel (in the developing world) where I make sure I have the toiletries I need because I cannot be assured of finding replacements, but that's not usually the case on cruises....

Bkelieve it or not you can buy toothpaste hair gel, and shampoo and all your other needs all over the world. Sometimes it's even fun to try something new.

By the way, I find most of those products much better in Europe and in England you can buy most American brands and that's sad!!

Tried it and failed. Hate buying regular sizes of stuff just to throw out at the end. If I can I'll bring my own.

I am watching this as we just booked a 33 nighter.

Herself is stressing over this issue.

To me the answer is obvious we are on Princess so an hour or two in the laundry each week :D.

I suspect she will also go with a lot of mix and match outfits.

I use the self service laundry on Princess. But I have only two more cruises until I get the all I want washed free laundry service. I can't wait!

But we are on Celebrity so no self laundry. Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I will pack as if for two weeks and send stuff out to be washed. Problem is the second part (TA) will be much warmer than the first, so I need different clothes.

But we are on Celebrity so no self laundry. Anyhow, thanks for all the suggestions. I guess I will pack as if for two weeks and send stuff out to be washed. Problem is the second part (TA) will be much warmer than the first, so I need different clothes.

Can you bring layering pieces? For example, ankle pants, shell/sleeveless top and cardigan. Then on the warmer part of your travels you can skip the cardigan. Or dress with blazer or cardigan then only wear the dress for when it's warm.

Unfortunately, with your luggage and laundry restrictions you will need to be imaginative unless you don't mind overpacking. If you're on pinterest I'd look up layering options or check out those awesome sites suggested by a PP above for travelling light.

I don't know your age or clothing restrictions, but you can layer practically anything so long as you choose lightweight fabrics. So if you're not comfortable wearing shorts or dresses, choose long skirts or crop pants. If you don't like sleeveless go with lightweight tshirts etc.