What to do in Malaga

campolady

I wonder if I can ask a quick question, I am thinking of booking a Limousine from Malaga port, will they be able to meet me at the cruise terminal or will I first need to get over to the port gates? Thanks in advance for any help.

I wonder if I can ask a quick question, I am thinking of booking a Limousine from Malaga port, will they be able to meet me at the cruise terminal or will I first need to get over to the port gates? Thanks in advance for any help.

I think the taxi can get to the cruise terminal area. If want to take bus or HoHo bus, you will need to walk to the first roundabout where the bus and hoho bus stop there to pick up people. In the photo I showed, I think it is the white bell tower area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you will need to walk to the first roundabout where the bus and hoho bus stop there to pick up people. In the photo I showed, I think it is the white bell tower area.

Thanks for your reply.

Thanks for that great pic of the Port!

Does anyone know if the HOHO bus goes near the old Arabian Town area? We have booked massages at the Hamman Al Andaluse?

The Hammam baths are in the heart of the narrow streets of the old town not accessible by bus. Rather than use the HOHO bus - unless you want to use it for exploring other areas of the city - I would take the shuttle train from the cruise terminal to the Park then do the short walk to the baths.

The Hammam baths are in the heart of the narrow streets of the old town not accessible by bus. Rather than use the HOHO bus - unless you want to use it for exploring other areas of the city - I would take the shuttle train from the cruise terminal to the Park then do the short walk to the baths.

\Thanks for the great advice! YOU ARE A WEALTH OF INFO ;)

I have a question for Campolady,

Do you know if bus #35 will begin running at 7:20 am or 11 am in November? I realize it is a ways off but I am just trying to plan our itinerary for the day in port. Thanks so much for your help with this question as well as all of the helpful info on this thread!

I have a question for Campolady,

Do you know if bus #35 will begin running at 7:20 am or 11 am in November? I realize it is a ways off but I am just trying to plan our itinerary for the day in port. Thanks so much for your help with this question as well as all of the helpful info on this thread!

In November I would expect it will be an 11 a.m. start as per the timetable below - hope it helps:-

Timetables Line 35

OUTWARD (Av. Andalucía)/RETURN (Gibralfaro)11:00/11:20 11:45/12:10 12:35/13:00 13:25/13:50 14:10/14:30 16:10/16:30 16:50/17:10 17:35/17:55 18:15/18:35 19:00/19:20

By the way, if you take the bus back from the castle note that it first stops a few yards from the bus stop. DO NOT leave the bus stop and walk over to it (as most people will!) as this is just to drop people off and the door will not be opened for you to board - you would then have to run back to the bus stop and would have lost your place in the queue.

Edited by campolady

Thank you, Campolady and CruiseLady88, for your replies! With a 11 am bus start I am thinking we will get off the ship and walk to Atarazanas Indoor Market first and then over to Cafeteria Casa Aranda for churros and chocolate. Then catch the bus for Gibralfaro Castle. After touring the castle walk down to see Alcazaba and then the Roman Theater. Is the port within reasonable walking distance of the Roman Theater? Or should we plan on catching the bus back? Also, do you think this plan is doable? Thanks again!!

Good idea! But I think you better take the return bus 35 and get off at the stop near Alcazaba to save some energy. The Gibralfaro castle is not small and has many stairs for you to walk up and down. Make sure you find out the return bus schedule so that you don't need to wait too long.

If you have time, try go to the square where the Picasso bronze statue is located. Take a picture with the sculpture. It is fun!

PS. We also walked from the cruise terminal to the old town area and back. It is doable. My husband is 63 and has no problem walking the whole path. Just make sure you bring water, wear your hat.

Thank you, Campolady and CruiseLady88, for your replies! With a 11 am bus start I am thinking we will get off the ship and walk to Atarazanas Indoor Market first and then over to Cafeteria Casa Aranda for churros and chocolate. Then catch the bus for Gibralfaro Castle. After touring the castle walk down to see Alcazaba and then the Roman Theater. Is the port within reasonable walking distance of the Roman Theater? Or should we plan on catching the bus back? Also, do you think this plan is doable? Thanks again!!

Sounds a good plan. It would take around 30-45 minutes to walk back to the cruise terminal from the Roman Theatre (it is a 1.5 kilometer walk from the port entrance to where your ship will be docked). Alternatively when you get off the ship book a return ticket on the shuttle from outside the cruise terminal to the park and just walk from the Roman Theatre to the pick up point.

Good idea! But I think you better take the return bus 35 and get off at the stop near Alcazaba to save some energy. The Gibralfaro castle is not small and has many stairs for you to walk up and down. Make sure you find out the return bus schedule so that you don't need to wait too long.

If you have time, try go to the square where the Picasso bronze statue is located. Take a picture with the sculpture. It is fun!

PS. We also walked from the cruise terminal to the old town area and back. It is doable. My husband is 63 and has no problem walking the whole path. Just make sure you bring water, wear your hat.

Thanks, CruiseLady88, for the reply and the tips! Greatly appreciated!

Sounds a good plan. It would take around 30-45 minutes to walk back to the cruise terminal from the Roman Theatre (it is a 1.5 kilometer walk from the port entrance to where your ship will be docked). Alternatively when you get off the ship book a return ticket on the shuttle from outside the cruise terminal to the park and just walk from the Roman Theatre to the pick up point.

Campolady,

Thanks for the info! Who is the shuttle through that offers the return trip from the Roman Theatre? Where exactly are the tickets sold?

Campolady,

Thanks for the info! Who is the shuttle through that offers the return trip from the Roman Theatre? Where exactly are the tickets sold?

The shuttle isn't from the Roman Theatre - no buses allowed round there. It runs from the cruise terminal to the Parque de Malaga and reverse; the Parque de Malaga is a 5 minutes walk from the Roman Theatre. It is operated by the cruise port; you pay for tickets on board the shuttle.

The shuttle bus is offered by the cruise ship. €5 for the return tickets, day pass. The ticket booth is set up inside the cruise terminal. You pay cash and they give you a ticket. The coach bus waits at the parking lot near the entrance/exit area.

We didn't buy the tickets and we walked straight to the town centre. It was a nice walk and we took photos along the walk. We saw the museum (glass building with different color square) and took photos there with marina view in the background. Then we walked to the bus 35 stop and took the bus 35 to the castle. After we were done, we took the bus 35 to the town centre. We went to the market first. Bought some Malaga nuts and Malaga figs. They were so tasty. The market can't compare with the one in Barcelona and please don't miss the market in Barcelona. Then we walked to the square where Picasso statue is located. Then we stopped to have tapas and free wifi. After that, we walked to the roman theatre area. We forgot the Cathedral in our path. We just visited two small ones. On our way, we walked through the park. Before we went back to the cruise terminal, we stopped at the beach nearby and took some photos. It was a relaxing day. Just take your time. When you feel tired, just pick a bench and sit. There are many benches set up in Malaga.

Thanks again, Campolady and Cruiselady88, for all of the great tips!:D

You are welcome TNT. I hope you have a wonderful day in Malaga which is a city I have really grown to love since living here (40 minutes drive away).

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Whats on in Malaga this month - September 2017 https://www.guidetomalaga.com/events-in-malaga-in-september/

Campolady I have read this thread from start to finish and it is one of the most informative, well written guides to Malaga I have read. I cant thank you enough. I will be in Malaga for one day on a port stop in early Nov 2017. I am a foodie and LOVE archeology. A few things are on my list: Atarazanas Market, Malaga Wine Museum, Málaga Museum (Palacio de la Aduana); Antigua Casa de Guardi: Tapas and churros. Can you please plot out my day adding any attractions that I SHOULD visit given my interests (GIBRALFARO CASTLE, ALCAZABA, ROMAN THEATRE?)

And If I may impose-where can I buy some sherry (non touristy vendor) and your suggestion for a shop where I may purchase a small silver object as a momento. I was contemplating taking the HOHO but will be guided by YOUR wisdom.I am not averse to using public transport.

Thank you ever so much

Bev

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I still like these - as per my original post - but so many other good places too:-

TAPAS BARS

Malaga is a Foodies paradise. You are spoiled for choice of high class restaurants but, for us, Tapas is the only way to go. Definitely try the local speciality 'Fritura Malaguena' which is a delicious mix of deep fried small fish. Just follow locals into a bar and you won't go far wrong; to get a good feel of the citys bar culture and atmosphere people visiting for the first time may enjoy:

El Pimpi - Accessed down a ginnel off Calle Granada or from immediately opposite the Roman Amphitheatre ruins, El Pimpi is one of the best known bars in Malaga where you can sample local Wines, Hams, Cheeses etc. http://www.elpimpi.com/en

Bodega Antigua Casa de Guardia - this bar can be accessed either off the main street Avenida Alameda Principal or from opposite the Indoor Market. A Malaga institution (gets packed at lunchtime so visit around noon) it is rumoured to be the oldest bar in the city and was once the prison house. Numerous casks house all varieties of the famous Malaga Wines (fortified wines similar to Sherry) plus wines from other parts of Spain. As you select each glass your running total is chalked up in front of you on the old wooden bar. Good seafood Tapas served too. http://www.casadeguardia.com

Cafeteria Axarquia - A basic café just up from the Casa Antigua de Guardia on the Avenida Alameda Principal. Don't be put off by appearances, the Tapas and Seafood here are excellent (quality and price).

Bar El Jardin - Situated at the rear of the Cathedral (on the left hand side if you face the Cathedral), this is an Art Deco bar/restaurant that serves great Tapas (best Tortilla anywhere IMO). Although slightly dearer than other Tapas Bars, the decor and food make it a place that we never miss when visiting Malaga. http://www.eljardinmalaga.com

Port Bar - If you don't want to walk into the city centre there is a bar in the main port/ferry building (opposite the entrance to the port) that is a popular watering hold for local workers - not the most elegant of bars but they offer a good choice of Tapas. This place is a lot cheaper than the bars you will find in the Muelle Uno development within the port grounds.

Is the best way to get to el Pimpi - go a couple streets over from the cathedral and then left (north ?) for a bit?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums