What to do 'near' JFK on short layover?

lucymorgan

Hi, We arrive at JFK at about 5.00 pm after 24 hours of flying from Australia. The next day we fly out again at around 2.00 pm.

We come back to NYC a couple of weeks later 2 days before our cruise from Cape Liberty and then after the cruise we stay in NYC for another 5 days. For these we are staying in Manhattan (Cambria Inn and Suites, Chelsea, near the Path train to NJ). We have previously stayed for a week each in Greenwich Village and Chelsea near the Highline. We are comfortable with catching the metro around NYC and quite enjoy catching public transport.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the short layover (5.00pm to 2.00pm next day) for a nice place to stay that is easy to get to (preferably via the JFK Airtrain/metro or hotel shuttle), in a nice neighborhood with stores/restaurants for casual dinner for tired flyers, perhaps shopping or interesting sights before we return to JFK to fly out again? For example, any suggestions for Queens?

Thanks for any ideas.

Hi, We arrive at JFK at about 5.00 pm after 24 hours of flying from Australia. The next day we fly out again at around 2.00 pm.

We come back to NYC a couple of weeks later 2 days before our cruise from Cape Liberty and then after the cruise we stay in NYC for another 5 days. For these we are staying in Manhattan (Cambria Inn and Suites, Chelsea, near the Path train to NJ). We have previously stayed for a week each in Greenwich Village and Chelsea near the Highline. We are comfortable with catching the metro around NYC and quite enjoy catching public transport.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the short layover (5.00pm to 2.00pm next day) for a nice place to stay that is easy to get to (preferably via the JFK Airtrain/metro or hotel shuttle), in a nice neighborhood with stores/restaurants for casual dinner for tired flyers, perhaps shopping or interesting sights before we return to JFK to fly out again? For example, any suggestions for Queens?

Thanks for any ideas.

What is the exact date you would need a JFK hotel? What is your hotel budget?

28 August (corrected) Budget prob up to around $350USD incl taxes (corrected) depending on what there is to do/see around the hotel. Not so interested in expensive restaurants - more interested in exploring neighborhoods (safely). We quite like just walking around. As we have been and will be spending time in Manhattan I was interested in exploring a different part of NY

Thanks for any advice.

Edited by lucymorgan

Would you want to attend the US Open Tennis match?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That would be cool but I don't think we will be in NY long enough while it is on (we fly out less than 24 hours after arriving and don't return until 12 Sept). :)

28 August (corrected) Budget prob up to around $350USD incl taxes (corrected) depending on what there is to do/see around the hotel. Not so interested in expensive restaurants - more interested in exploring neighborhoods (safely). We quite like just walking around. As we have been and will be spending time in Manhattan I was interested in exploring a different part of NY

Thanks for any advice.

Unfortunately I'm not the one to give you advice about Queens (but I can tell you details about using PATH to get to Cape Liberty). However, we have many New Yorkers on this board who can help you. Give them time to read your post.

Finding a hotel for Aug 28 should not be an issue. $350 USD is an ample budget, but I'm sure you would consider paying less for the right "interesting" safe location accessible by public transit.

Unfortunately I'm not the one to give you advice about Queens (but I can tell you details about using PATH to get to Cape Liberty). However, we have many New Yorkers on this board who can help you. Give them time to read your post.

Finding a hotel for Aug 28 should not be an issue. $350 USD is an ample budget, but I'm sure you would consider paying less for the right "interesting" safe location accessible by public transit.

Thanks 138East. From 33rd Street PATH station towards Cape Liberty, where would you get off so that it is easy to get a taxi or alternative transport to Cape Liberty?

Cheers

Thanks 138East. From 33rd Street PATH station towards Cape Liberty, where would you get off so that it is easy to get a taxi or alternative transport to Cape Liberty?

Cheers

Will you have a cell phone? If not, are you willing to ask someone who has a phone to help you?

That would be cool but I don't think we will be in NY long enough while it is on (we fly out less than 24 hours after arriving and don't return until 12 Sept). :)

The first day is August 28 and there are night matches so it's doable. The stadium is very close to JFK that's why I brought it up.

You already know about US Customs at JFK[emoji15]. Between that and waiting for you luggage to get off the plane it will be at least an hour probably more. The next day you need at least 90 minutes to go through security and get to the gate at JFK. I think you are right thinking staying close is a good idea.

The problem is the hotels immediately surrounding JFK are not recommended. Long Island City area is good, but public transport from JFK to Long Island City, not direct.

Yes - I will have a cell phone :)

Great! You take PATH at 32nd-33rd St - the Accessible entrance is on the west side of 6th Ave just before Penneys if you're coming from the south. Take the train to Hoboken where you can enjoy the view of Manhattan and see the Hoboken Train station (http://www.american-rails.com/hoboken-terminal.html). On the street level facing the tracks you head to the far left to buy a Hudson-Bergen light rail ticket for $2.25/pp. You take the Bayonne train to 34th St in Bayonne (http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0100.pdf). This train is accessible. Both trains will be empty outbound in the morning and seats should not be an issue.

When you get to 34th St, you call one of the cab companies to pick you up. Be sure to ask if they will pick you up on Avenue E or in the parking lot. Expect to pay $10-12 to get into Cape Liberty. You will be able to see the ship - it's an expensive ride to go 2 miles!

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Great! You take PATH at 32nd-33rd St - the Accessible entrance is on the west side of 6th Ave just before Penneys if you're coming from the south. Take the train to Hoboken where you can enjoy the view of Manhattan and see the Hoboken Train station (http://www.american-rails.com/hoboken-terminal.html). On the street level facing the tracks you head to the far left to buy a Hudson-Bergen light rail ticket for $2.25/pp. You take the Bayonne train to 34th St in Bayonne (http://www.njtransit.com/pdf/bus/T0100.pdf). This train is accessible. Both trains will be empty outbound in the morning and seats should not be an issue.

When you get to 34th St, you call one of the cab companies to pick you up. Be sure to ask if they will pick you up on Avenue E or in the parking lot. Expect to pay $10-12 to get into Cape Liberty. You will be able to see the ship - it's an expensive ride to go 2 miles!

Bayonne City Yellow Cab

201-339-5000

Archie’s Cab & Van Service

201-858-8800

Campbell Taxi

201-339-8300

Thank you very much for the detailed instructions 138East! They are great and I have saved them. :)

The first day is August 28 and there are night matches so it's doable. The stadium is very close to JFK that's why I brought it up.

You already know about US Customs at JFK[emoji15]. Between that and waiting for you luggage to get off the plane it will be at least an hour probably more. The next day you need at least 90 minutes to go through security and get to the gate at JFK. I think you are right thinking staying close is a good idea.

The problem is the hotels immediately surrounding JFK are not recommended. Long Island City area is good, but public transport from JFK to Long Island City, not direct.

Thank you Got2cruise! I will look into it further. It probably depends on how tired and/or motivated we are when we arrive and get through customs ;p

Consider OP's info, being jetlagged from Aussie - staying nearby in Queens isn't a bad idea, finding a decent hotel within budget with something to do in the mid/late evening and in the morning, after a restful night of sleep, before going back to JFK to continue their trip - is somewhat of a challenge.

Both Howard Beach & Jamaica, served & reachable by JFK's AirTrain would be interesting local neighborhood - to some - but there aren't any decent hotels that I would recommend. Hotels just off JFK Airport are in the middle of nowhere, behind service roads & hidden in mostly residential and some industrial sections - the only option is pricey in-hotel dining with limited options or local ethinic food/pizza delivery, depending on their check-in time at the hotel after getting out of immigration, getting luggage & going thru custom - and ground transportation.

With U.S. Tennis getting underway 12 miles north in nearby Flushing (NY's largest Chinatown these days) - almost all of the decent hotels (Sheraton, Hyatt Place, etc.) are either solidly booked and 2 stars budget tourist ones are asking $200 to $250+ nightly plus taxes, not worth it. But, there's plenty of good dining options all within walking distance - closer to Koreantown on Northern Blvd, which is more convenient to LGA airport travelers - 2 hotels that I would personally recommend to a visiting family would run about $300 w. taxes/fees ... ethnic restaurants open late night within a block. (The One Boutique Hotel showing $250 + taxes/fees for 8/28) Car service or Uber/Lyft ride from JFK would run about $50 with tips, one way. Taxi would be metered fare but with unpredictable traffic, not advised to use.

Looks like some of the off-airport hotels at JFK (Holiday Inn & Marriott brands, etc.) are running about $200 to $250 per night + taxes for 8/28.

I did catch something interesting, a newly open hotel in Fresh Meadows, hidden & behind a small shopping mall with a few restaurants nearby, walking distance in a mostly quiet, middle-class residential section of Queens ... rooms available for under $150 + taxes/fees, size on the "petite" side but modern & should be fine for an overnight stay. Even with round-trip car service/Uber ride, $300 USD would cover it + whatever meal/dinner expenses, about 30 minutes even with moderate to heavy area traffic for the ride. Look up Wyndham Garden, Fresh Meadows, NY online (it's advertised as being in Flushing, NY - but it is NOT, about 3 or 4 miles to the east, in a suburban park-like surrounding, check it on Google Map for an earth view)

BTW, all of NYC's subway stations and JFK Airport now has free WiFi, so it will make getting around easier when preloaded with the free Apps or simply use Google Maps/Navigation or Waze to lookup directions for getting around.

How about Rockaway for a NYC beach experience? It's definitely not a Flushing or JFK hotel -

http://surfsideocean.com/ - and it would require a taxi and some research/planning for food options since it's a condo.

The OP is going to spend plenty of time in Manhattan and since the tennis is in Flushing, that area is going to be overrun.

Another idea. Best Western Mill River Manor Rockville Center Long Island. You can take LIRR from Jamaica Air Train about 15 mins. Walk to several restaurants. There might even be a shuttle. Very safe cute town with lots of bars and restaurants walking distance to hotel.

For the single day why not AirTrain to the A train one south towards the Rockaways, transfer to the Rockaway Park Shuttle (Step off the train and wait for the "S" Train). Take that to the last stop Rockaway Park/Beach 116th and walk on the Board Walk/Promenade (exit in the direction the train was going, make a left for the beach). Great neighborhood in that area going west (Street numbers increase).

Just an idea for something close to JFK and if all goes bad (subway issues) you can still get car service/cab back to JFK.

Surfsideocean looks fine, but a bit too far ... in Oregon ?

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Oops! my bad. I thought I had picked Rockaway NY!

Anyway, there are accommodations in the Rockaway NY beach area, but I don't know the area, so someone else will have to comment. What's the nicest hotel at JFK? Is it too expensive for DSF to house people in?

No worries, neither do I know much on that Rockaway NY area. NYC seemed to be using most of JFK hotels as do Red Cross' disaster services for displaced families in need after a fire or emergency vacate order. Business travelers who need an overnight stay near the airport would still end up booking there.

Holiday Inns in Jamaica, near Woodmere next to JFK, off the Belt Parkway, is $225 to $250 + taxes/fees for 8/28, but there's nothing to do or walk around and see. Contracted by airlines for crew's layover, on-site restaurant/cafe till 11 PM, free shuttle to Federal Circles for the AirTrain, free WiFi plus a fitness center (no swimming pool.) Just a place to sleep or rest.

There are some, slightly cheaper in Long Island City, $200 & up - could be done via AirTrain, to E subway, express to Queens Plaza stop, and 4 or 5 blocks of walking. Or a car service ride or Uber trip (which I am not a fan of ... but, please make sure to use the official APP to pay for the trip, paying cash risked getting overcharged) There isn't a lot to see or do around that area after 8:30 or 9 PM, aside from a few 24/7 places like Dunkin Donuts, local diner & deli's popular with taxi & car service drivers taking a break (as most of them need to drive into Queens or Brooklyn to fill out their gas tank in between shift changes) ... Manhattan East is however, 1 or 2 more stops. Yet, like Flushing - more hotels going up in LIC - heads scratching !!

If OP can store some of their luggages at JFK (paid storage, available at one or two of the terminals, landside) - they can travel & get around easier, using the AirTrain subway, buses & might possibly open up some extra options - just take along one smaller carry-on with change of clothes for overnighting plus valuables & important items, etc.

Thank you again for all of your input. I realised from reading your suggestions that we were probably better off heading somewhere familiar, given the short time for the layover and that our brains would likely be dulled by jet lag ;p;):confused:.

So,as we have stayed in Greenwich Village before, know how to get there on the Airtrain and the Subway (in about 1hour 20 minutes), have walked around the area before both during the day and at night, I've booked us into a familiar hotel there.

Got a good advance purchase deal too (<$270USD for a room with a village or park view and included breakfast). If we are up to it, we might even check out a jazz club!

Thanks again - it really did help me decide.