Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising > River Cruise Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 25th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Viking Grand European "Prague Extension"

We are on the Viking Idun Grand European Tour - Amsterdam to Budapest with the added Prague Extension leaving on April 27th. First timers on a river cruise! I was wondering if anyone had any additional recent information on this leg of the trip? Ease of transfers; (I understand that it's currently rail); accommodations (we're in the Hilton Prague Hotel Pobrezni); tours (we've already scheduled the Lobkowicz Palace for Sunday, our first full day in Prague); and any other suggestions on excursions and dining in the city would also be helpful!
TIA - Bill and Donna

Old March 26th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

We will be doing the Romantic Danube cruise this fall on the Idun and have also booked the Prague extension. This will be our first river cruise, but I have done an extensive amount of research and I have definitley decided to have dinner at the Cafe Imperial. It is 4 blocks from the Hilton and seems to be very highly rated.

Check out these websites.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...e_Bohemia.html

http://www.cafeimperial.cz/en/

Also, this place looks nice. It is 5 blocks from the hotel - Plzenska Beer Hall Restaurant.

http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=1393

If you want something more upscale - Francouzska Restaurant. It is in the same building as Plzenska Beer Hall Restaurant.

http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=370

I have been having a lot of fun doing the research.

Royal Caribbean Voyageur of the Seas, April 2004 - Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas, April 2003 - NCL Norwegian Sun, March 2002 - Celebrity Cruises Century, August 1999 - Admiral Cruise Lines Emerald Seas, July 1988

Last edited by Cary Cruiser; March 26th, 2013 at 05:45 PM.

Old March 28th, 2013, 12:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks so much for the input. I have to admit to being a bit late with scouting out our extra free time in Prague. This will help a lot! We've planned the Lobkowicz Palace through Viking, but that's about it. I'm planning on posting a pretty comprehensive so hopefully I'll be able to return the favor in some way.
Bill

Old March 28th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Pivovarsky klub

Bill - here is another place that is only 2 blocks from the hotel. Very casual, highly rated and great if you wish to sample some of that good Czeck beer. The food is supposed to be traditional Czeck and reasonably priced. It is listed in my Lonley Planet guide book as a top pick.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restauran...e_Bohemia.html

http://www.gastroinfo.cz/pivoklub/in...=uvod&lang=eng

Royal Caribbean Voyageur of the Seas, April 2004 - Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas, April 2003 - NCL Norwegian Sun, March 2002 - Celebrity Cruises Century, August 1999 - Admiral Cruise Lines Emerald Seas, July 1988

Old April 3rd, 2013, 01:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just in case you aren't aware; although the Czech Republic is part of the European Union, the euro is not widely accepted here yet. Some stores, restaurants and hotels accept payments in euros but the exchange rate may not be very good.

The approximate value of 100 CZK is 4 EUR/6 USD.

As in most places the best way to get local currency is from an ATM machine.

Restaurants and hotels will almost always accept credit cards.

Last edited by Bob++; April 3rd, 2013 at 01:56 PM.

Old April 4th, 2013, 04:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the additional input especially on the ATMs because we have been debating same!

Old April 18th, 2013, 11:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob++ View Post
Just in case you aren't aware; although the Czech Republic is part of the European Union, the euro is not widely accepted here yet. Some stores, restaurants and hotels accept payments in euros but the exchange rate may not be very good.

The approximate value of 100 CZK is 4 EUR/6 USD.

As in most places the best way to get local currency is from an ATM machine.

Restaurants and hotels will almost always accept credit cards.
Word of advice about changing currencies... we visited Czesky Krumlov several years ago and only had one afternoon of sightseeing due to choir dress rehearsal, concert, party. Needed CZK money, asked at tourist office in center of town. They were able to change our money, at a TERRIBLE rate. When we returned to change it back, they told us we needed to go to the bank, but it "closes in 3 minutes". My friend got so angry, but I just laughed. I reminded her, we were the stupid ones, we let ourselves get taken advantage of! Use an ATM for money exchange and use up your coins because they can only be used as souvenirs of your trip once you return home! I have a picture of the two of us with our CZK money, laughing, as a memento!! At least we got enough cash to buy a few beers!!