Transportation to/from Hobby to Galveston

bluebelt

I was wondering if anyone knew the approximately cost of Uber to take you from Hobby (or a local hotel) to the Port of Galveston. From what I have read Uber is allowed to operate in Houston, is this correct. Has it been decided if Uber is allowed to operate out of Galveston?

Does the Enterprise Rental Car Office allow cars to be rented from them and returned to the airport? I had read somewhere that the either the Enterprise office at the airport or the port make it difficult to return a car in a different location.

What have others found to be the most economical way to get to/from Hobby from Galveston? From what I have been able to find online the RCCI shuttle is about $150 r/t for the two of us. Is Uber really more economical in the Houston area than a cab. We were in Las Vegas this past fall and Uber was more expensive than what we normally pay for a cab. We were shocked, because in the Chicagoland area it is significantly less.

So many people have this problem! Makes me wish we had a car with 3rd row seating so we could help a brother out! We have to drive right past Hobby to get there, too bad we don't have room to pick someone up.

Seems like a problem for Galveston. That hurts when you have to pay for both a flight and then that crazy cost just to get to the port!

We booked RCCL and it was 64 round trip per person to and from Hobby. Not bad, galvestonexpress is cheaper but it's just a guy in a van for a point of reference. They started last year and get pretty solid reviews from what I've read. (Wife wanted me to book thru RCCL or I'd probably go galvestonexpress )

We used RC transfers to and from Hobby. $32 per person per way is correct. We fly in to Hobby the night before and booked a hotel close to Hobby. In the morning we have the hotel drop us back to Hobby to meet the RC transfers. If you have RC transfers you will be one of the first off the ship. Get a porter. This will get you through any lines in Customs faster. Walk outside where the bus will be waiting. Less than 10 minute wait on either end for the bus to fill. Got back to Hobby very early and had to wait until a two hour window of flight time to check in. If your party is more than two, a private car will be cheaper.

We used RC transfers to and from Hobby. $32 per person per way is correct. We fly in to Hobby the night before and booked a hotel close to Hobby. In the morning we have the hotel drop us back to Hobby to meet the RC transfers. If you have RC transfers you will be one of the first off the ship. Get a porter. This will get you through any lines in Customs faster. Walk outside where the bus will be waiting. Less than 10 minute wait on either end for the bus to fill. Got back to Hobby very early and had to wait until a two hour window of flight time to check in. If your party is more than two, a private car will be cheaper.

Not to sound stupid, but what is meant by RC transfers? Is this the cruise line or private?

thanks

Cheers

Len

Not to sound stupid, but what is meant by RC transfers? Is this the cruise line or private?

thanks

Cheers

Len

RC is Royal Caribbean, you can book a transfer (via bus) to and from airport thru them. So just you you get to dock and back from airport instead of say renting car or taking a taxi

• 2 weeks later...

American, Delta, JetBlue, and Southwest are the only airlines that fly into Hobby. If you can fly on Southwest from Palm Springs, that's probably your best option. Hobby is about 30 minutes away from Galveston; Bush is about 90 minutes away.

I don't know about hotels.

Steve

American, Delta or Jet Blue are probably our best airlines from PS. American I know goes to Bush will have to check the other two airlines. Our friends are planning on driving to Houston to stay with family, then fly to Hobby and are staying in Galveston. From our location i don't think we go to Hobby unless we go out of LAX but easier for us to go out of our own airport then drive to LAX and back.

Used Galveston Express in November to get to Hobby after the Liberty repositioning cruise to Galveston. They were reasonable, had nice vans, and very accommodating. Check them out http://galvestonexpress.com/

I just did a search for a price on this from Houston to Galveston and it gave me a price for 3 people of $72.50 each way. :eek: (Plus they only pick up at the airport instead of hotel if under 5 people).

However, it doesn't give a listing for NCL on there. There's only Carnival, Disney and RC listed. Anyone know what you would pick if NCL isn't listed as an option? :confused:

I just did a search for a price on this from Houston to Galveston and it gave me a price for 3 people of $72.50 each way. :eek: (Plus they only pick up at the airport instead of hotel if under 5 people).

However, it doesn't give a listing for NCL on there. There's only Carnival, Disney and RC listed. Anyone know what you would pick if NCL isn't listed as an option? :confused:

NCL is at Houston Bayport (not Galveston) through April 2016.