Good Gay Novel Recommendation?

Mermen

I really enjoyed reading "Last Summer" by Michael Thomas Ford. It is a really light read, but will get you totally hooked. A fun, cheesy read.

Although not specifically a novel, Michael Thomas Ford also has some very amusing books of essays that will have you laughing all week. I suggest "Alec Baldwin Doesn't Love Me" and "It's Not Mean If It's True" both of which are well-written.

I'm not sure if anybody is into reading gay biographies, but Billy Bean wrote a great book called "Going the other way: lessons from a life in and outside the major league" which is a fascinating look at his life as a gay man while playing professional baseball as well as after. He has a lot of interesting ideas. Very good book.

Edited by Boidiva02

I am a big fan of Michael Thomas Ford... Great reads.

I have all of his books, usually picked up when I am in the US, as we get ripped off, as usual here in the UK. On more than one occasion, I have read the whole thing on the flight home... Whoops!

I am going to start looking for stuff for my Transatlantic Crossing soon...

I have a lot of his books, but not all of them. They are excellent. In particular I loved "Last Summer".

I still love the gay classics: Gore Vidal -The City and the Pillar; James Baldwin's - Giovanni's Room; David Leavitt - The Indian Clerk; Edmund White - A Boy's Own Story; anything by Christopher Isherwood. Then there is always Scotty Bowers new book, Full Service, which is badly written but chock full of tell all information about the sexual predilections of Hollywood stars, etc. from the 1950's to the 1900's.

I still love the gay classics: Gore Vidal -The City and the Pillar; James Baldwin's - Giovanni's Room; David Leavitt - The Indian Clerk; Edmund White - A Boy's Own Story; anything by Christopher Isherwood. Then there is always Scotty Bowers new book, Full Service, which is badly written but chock full of tell all information about the sexual predilections of Hollywood stars, etc. from the 1950's to the 1900's.

I am so behind on all my "gay classics". I've really don't know much about gay writers and have had to explore on my own.

Was recently at a book fair/signing in Washington, D.C., and met John, and Andrew Grey. Sounds like you've got some fun reads planned!

Nice! I would like to meet both of those authors. What I enjoy about Simpson, is that the formula for his novels are different, and not too far off-base. I like that he writes mature men into his stories as well. Obviously the guy spent most of his life in law enforcement. :)

Edited by Mermen

Nice! I would like to meet both of those authors. What I enjoy about Simpson, is that the formula for his novels are different, and not too far off-base. I like that he writes mature men into his stories as well. Obviously the guy spent most of his life in law enforcement. :)

He did mention some of his life experiences have made their way into his novels. Andrew Grey has a couple of novels and novellas where the characters are 50+ and a range of ages as secondary characters. I love the children in his books, in the families he creates. They are so cute and it really rounds out the stories. A Taste of Love is so heartwrenching, with the twins and their older brother who takes care of them. Each of his books should come with a free pack of tissues!

He did mention some of his life experiences have made their way into his novels. Andrew Grey has a couple of novels and novellas where the characters are 50+ and a range of ages as secondary characters. I love the children in his books, in the families he creates. They are so cute and it really rounds out the stories. A Taste of Love is so heartwrenching, with the twins and their older brother who takes care of them. Each of his books should come with a free pack of tissues!

I've got to agree with you...felt the same way with Grey's, "Accompanied by a Waltz". Laying in bed at night with my iPad and trying to cry quietly, LOL! Not so much, but we both share the same stories and understand they can be a little teary "Hallmark" at times. Love them though...will have to check out Taste of Love. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Whoops, Hi Mermen. Just saw this response to my post today. Will send you an e-mail!

Thanks for your message and for forwarding the link. We have been perusing your collection and are excited to find them on Romance! Will buy one / two for our next cruise. Several look great (such as "Riding the Train"). Thank you so much!

• 3 weeks later...
I've got to agree with you...felt the same way with Grey's, "Accompanied by a Waltz". Laying in bed at night with my iPad and trying to cry quietly, LOL! Not so much, but we both share the same stories and understand they can be a little teary "Hallmark" at times. Love them though...will have to check out Taste of Love. :)

Was just checking out Andrew Grey's "Coming Soon" page and there is a novella, Burnished by Fire, where the main characters go on a cruise. It's coming out October 24th--can't wait. The firefighter novellas are hot, much racier than most of Grey's novels.

Was just checking out Andrew Grey's "Coming Soon" page and there is a novella, Burnished by Fire, where the main characters go on a cruise. It's coming out October 24th--can't wait. The firefighter novellas are hot, much racier than most of Grey's novels.

Thanks, sounds like another good Grey story! Will be on our B2B, so just may have to download that one on October 24!

So here's my iPad line up for the cruise:

Treasure of Love - Scotty Cade (woof!)

Murder on the Queen - John Simpson, think this takes place on the QM2

Freedom's Souvenir - Pia Veleno

The Ship Engineer - Serena Yates

Cruising Adventures - Nicole Dennis

They may be a little steamy, but just finishing up a couple heavier novels and I could use some escape. :)

Thanks, sounds like another good Grey story! Will be on our B2B, so just may have to download that one on October 24!

So here's my iPad line up for the cruise:

Treasure of Love - Scotty Cade (woof!)

Murder on the Queen - John Simpson, think this takes place on the QM2

Freedom's Souvenir - Pia Veleno

The Ship Engineer - Serena Yates

Cruising Adventures - Nicole Dennis

They may be a little steamy, but just finishing up a couple heavier novels and I could use some escape. :)

MORE books for my iPad ;)

• 1 year later...

Hope no one minds my resurrecting an old thread, but I figured, rather than create a new one on the same topic ...

So, one of my fave authors, Andrew Grey, just had a novella released that would be perfect cruise reading. It's Electrochemistry, and it sounds like a lot of the action takes place on a cruise!

Anyone else have some other summer/cruise reading suggestions?

I'm glad you resurrected this thread; I used a lot of the suggestions on my last cruise and just yesterday I started to write my reading list for my next cruise (September 2014).

It is a little premature for me to mention this because I'm only about 3/4ths through the book, but Hero by Perry Moore (a lot of books with this title; only one by Perry Moore) is turning out to be one of the best books I've read in a long time. It has a lot of elements (gay/superhero/coming of age/coming out/bullying/dysfunctional family/peer pressure) that somehow works. The writer manages to mix fantastical elements with so-true-it-hurts elements with humor and tragedy. It has got me hooked. (I just hope the ending is as good as the book so far.)

I like to read books about where I am going so one way I use to find them is doing a search on the Amazon site (under Books) using the name of the city. All books that have that word in them are listed, with a column on the left to filter the results by genre (history, mystery, travel, romance, etc.). One of filters is "gay & lesbian" so it is pretty easy to find gay books for any location.

Sounds good and thanks for the tip. Will look for it on the other ebook sites too!

We're cruising September 2014 also and looking for reading suggestions too. More of my favorites from the last cruise and upcoming:

Men Overboard, James Brock (gay cruise backstory)

Cruise ship trickery, Kenn Dahll

Into the Triangle, AmyLea Lyn

Peter & Chair, John Simpson

Soul of a Merman, Alana Ankh

The Gifted One, Jacob Flores (one of my favs)

Hope Cove, 3 in the series. Cate Ashwood

Burnished by Fire, 4 in he series, Andrew Grey