Is Triumph delaying departures from New Orleans due to oil spill?

cruzzza

I have had two people tell me recently that they had friends on Triumph cruises where Carnival kept them in New Orleans until 9PM before heading down the river, supposedly due to them not being allowed to travel the area around the oil spill in darkness.

I am going to New Orleans this weekend and want to watch the Triumph sail away. Unfortunately, I have plans for later that evening, and I was hoping that they had moved the departures back to their regular time of 4PM.

I am not even sure that it is true about the delayed departures. I couldn't find anything on here or on Carnival's site about it.

Thanks for any info.

I have had two people tell me recently that they had friends on Triumph cruises where Carnival kept them in New Orleans until 9PM before heading down the river, supposedly due to them not being allowed to travel the area around the oil spill in darkness.

I am going to New Orleans this weekend and want to watch the Triumph sail away. Unfortunately, I have plans for later that evening, and I was hoping that they had moved the departures back to their regular time of 4PM.

I am not even sure that it is true about the delayed departures. I couldn't find anything on here or on Carnival's site about it.

Thanks for any info.

Am I missing something? If they "kept them in New Orleans until 9PM before heading down the river, supposedly due to them not being allowed to travel the area around the oil spill in darkness", wouldn't it be dark when they left at 9PM?

Just wondering. . .

Am I missing something? If they "kept them in New Orleans until 9PM before heading down the river, supposedly due to them not being allowed to travel the area around the oil spill in darkness", wouldn't it be dark when they left at 9PM?

Just wondering. . .

It takes 8 hours to go down the Mississippi to get to the mouth of the river and the Gulf.

it's not nice to tease .......... Even if they were thinking about bringing it here, i bet the oil spill will have them thinking twice. Nothing like getting all that oil on that nice ship

I work at the Pier in New Orleans. The Triumph has only been delayed one time since the oil spill. All other departures have been close to 4P.:D

Hi to Dayton and Dominic!!!!! :D

Plenty of room as long as only one ship is at the terminal at a time.:p

There is plenty of room for two ships simultaneously -

http://www.portno.com/pno_pages/cargo_facilities_specs.htm

Carnival Magic won't start cruising from New Orleans until Novemberish, 2011 - by then all the oil will be over by Florida or beyond.

Carnival Magic is going to look so nice in New Orleans!

I'm sailing on 06/12 and I just received a voicemail that said I should arrive at the pier by 10:30 to "ensure the smoothest boarding experience possible". The beginning of the voicemail was cut off, so I didn't hear the beginning. We usually arrive at the pier around 10:00 a.m. anyway, but does anyone else find it strange that they would reccommend we be there so early?

I'm sailing on 06/12 and I just received a voicemail that said: In order to help you forget about the oil, we recommend consuming many tropical drinks prior to embarkation. You should arrive at the pier as drunk as possible by 10:30 to "ensure the smoothest boarding experience possible". The beginning of the voicemail was cut off, so I didn't hear the beginning.

The bold text is the missing part of the voicemail you received. :D

Well, you know how Nola is... everyone knows someone... let's hope the janitor has connections...

I can't speak for the janitor...but I know a couple of porters that are WONDERFUL!!!

New Orleans was the very first port that wrote their "porter number" on my Fun Pass so that I knew actually took my luggage. I liked that.

We have been out of New Orleans so much...I look forward to seeing :number 41: (Dominic) He is always cheery and fun....

I'm sailing on 06/12 and I just received a voicemail that said I should arrive at the pier by 10:30 to "ensure the smoothest boarding experience possible". The beginning of the voicemail was cut off, so I didn't hear the beginning. We usually arrive at the pier around 10:00 a.m. anyway, but does anyone else find it strange that they would reccommend we be there so early?

Not any stranger than the calls for people to arrive later ...they are trying to stagger people's arrival ...and everyone ignores the phone calls. I know I do.

Also there are still plans on the books to build the Poland Wharf Cruise Terminal. This will give New Orleans three berths for ships at the same time. If rotated, there is no reason for up to 5 or 6 ships to be able to use New Orleans as their homeport.

Dave

There is no reason why it would.

I work at the Pier in New Orleans. The Triumph has only been delayed one time since the oil spill. All other departures have been close to 4P.:D

Does the Triumph have oil on the side of the ship near the water line? Or do they make an effort to avoid the spills and plumes?

I will be on the Triumph on June 12. This past saturday, I watched the river cam and she sailed at 4:45 PM. Not to late on departure time. Jerry

I'll be there with my little girl waving to you!!! If my DH's flight would be coming in that morning, instead of at night, we'd probably be sailing with you. I think I'll even wear a Triumph tshirt that day. We'll probably be watching from the Riverwalk as close as we can get to the ship. From the ship, I remember seeing an outdoor spot with tables where you can sit overlooking the river.

And yes, I do find it odd for them to tell you to show up that early. My calls have always said 1:00 I think. That's usually when they tell you to come. I usually end up getting there around 10:30 or 11 every time.

Also there are still plans on the books to build the Poland Wharf Cruise Terminal. This will give New Orleans three berths for ships at the same time. If rotated, there is no reason for up to 5 or 6 ships to be able to use New Orleans as their homeport.

Dave

Interesting! I haven't heard about that one. We need more choices out of N.O. I'd like to see more 5 day cruises. Royal and NCI are only doing 7 days. I am glad that we are getting the Voyager, though. I have always wanted to try one of the mega ships. It just isn't worth it to fly so I hope that we do get another terminal and more ships and cruise choices. N.O. is a great place to sail from.

Archived