Does Carnival know you're gay?

GaNavy

From Carnival's passenger ticket contract -

9. PERSONAL DATA; VIDEO SURVEILLANCE; RIGHT TO SEARCH OR INSPECT; PRIVACY NOTICE AND PUBLIC WIRELESS SERVICES

© Guests may provide personal data to Carnival that may include names, postal or email addresses, date of birth, passport information, financial account, telephone numbers, likenesses, photographs or other information which would identify Guests personally. Guests may also provide Carnival or others certain sensitive data such as health, medical, dietary, religious, gender or sexual orientation information. All Guests agree that Carnival may (1) keep their personal and sensitive data, (2) use it in its business worldwide in accordance with its published privacy policies, (3) share it with its affiliated or related companies and (4) subject it to processing worldwide provided Carnival’s safeguards are used. All Guests agree that any personal or sensitive data provided to Carnival in the European Economic Area may be used, processed and transferred worldwide including to the U.S.

(d) All Guests agree that Carnival may disclose personal or sensitive data to unaffiliated third parties (1) with the Guest’s consent or authorization, (2) to help complete a transaction for the Guest, (3) to comply with law, applicable regulations, governmental and quasi-governmental requests, orders or legal process, (4) to enforce this or other agreements or protect the rights, safety or property of Carnival or others, (5) as part of a purchase, sale, or transfer of assets or our business, (6) to Carnival’s agents or service providers to perform functions on its behalf, or (7) as otherwise described in Carnival’s published privacy policies, as amended from time to time.

OK, fellow cruisers, do you think this is any of Carnival's business? And does any other cruise line's contract allow the cruise line to collect this info?

This reads like something driven by privacy legislation. It is not written that they need to know but rather ONCE they do have those types of information on file, they have a responsibility to keep it secure. I guess if you are out in the rest of your life and then as a couple ask the twin beds be set up as a queen, you can reasonable assume they know you are gay.

There are little pieces of information you might provide to Carnival that signal you're sexual orientation (emergency contact, wedding information, etc.) and they want you to know what they can do with that information. The same kind of privacy information is found in university housing forms and banking documents.

9. PERSONAL DATA; VIDEO SURVEILLANCE; RIGHT TO SEARCH OR INSPECT; PRIVACY NOTICE AND PUBLIC WIRELESS SERVICES

© Guests may provide personal data to Carnival that may include names, postal or email addresses, date of birth, passport information, financial account, telephone numbers, likenesses, photographs or other information which would identify Guests personally. Guests may also provide Carnival or others certain sensitive data such as health, medical, dietary, religious, gender or sexual orientation information. All Guests agree that Carnival may (1) keep their personal and sensitive data, (2) use it in its business worldwide in accordance with its published privacy policies, (3) share it with its affiliated or related companies and (4) subject it to processing worldwide provided Carnival’s safeguards are used. All Guests agree that any personal or sensitive data provided to Carnival in the European Economic Area may be used, processed and transferred worldwide including to the U.S.

(d) All Guests agree that Carnival may disclose personal or sensitive data to unaffiliated third parties (1) with the Guest’s consent or authorization, (2) to help complete a transaction for the Guest, (3) to comply with law, applicable regulations, governmental and quasi-governmental requests, orders or legal process, (4) to enforce this or other agreements or protect the rights, safety or property of Carnival or others, (5) as part of a purchase, sale, or transfer of assets or our business, (6) to Carnival’s agents or service providers to perform functions on its behalf, or (7) as otherwise described in Carnival’s published privacy policies, as amended from time to time.

OK, fellow cruisers, do you think this is any of Carnival's business? And does any other cruise line's contract allow the cruise line to collect this info?

Well your highlighted area "suggests" providing that info. on your own choice. It's not actually asked of you. I'm sure they(and any line)could care less about sexual orientation. It's the money that they're concerned about.

I couldn't care less if Carnival knows I'm gay - I've been out since 1975.

But if you've read the privacy policies of most commercial entities lately, you'll know that whatever information the entity collects - or even, as seems implicit here, speculates about - is not going to be kept "private" in the historical sense of that word.

Straight men cuddle in bed together too - 90+% in a recent British study I read about - and some people just like sleeping in a bigger bed even if they're sharing it with someone. So the idea that Carnival will assume you're gay if you're a same-sex couple who sleeps with the beds together is presumptuous, and the idea that they would share that "information" in, essentially, any way they want is offensive.

No, it won't keep me from cruising with Carnival - I like Carnival. But let's all understand what's going on here.

Edited by GaNavy

• 1 month later...

I don't care if they know, want to know or share it. Once they've been paid I don't think they really care. When I booked my cruise I specifically told them I wanted the queen bed, but when we got there it was still the two singles. I let our steward know, who was the sweetest little guy and gay himself, and he quickly fixed it when we went to dinner. I guess they "assumed" since there were two men booked in that cabin the beds should be separate, but oh well it all worked out. As far as that information you read in the contract, it must have been very tiny print or I just overlooked it on my way to get a cocktail! :)

Straight men cuddle in bed together too - 90+% in a recent British study I read about - and some people just like sleeping in a bigger bed even if they're sharing it with someone. So the idea that Carnival will assume you're gay if you're a same-sex couple who sleeps with the beds together is presumptuous, and the idea that they would share that "information" in, essentially, any way they want is offensive.

I'm not sure I know any "straight" men that would request their twin beds be put together so they can cuddle. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I know any "straight" men that would request their twin beds be put together so they can cuddle. :rolleyes:

LOL...I think you may be correct :D

But you never know......

Guests may also provide Carnival or others certain sensitive data such as health, medical, dietary, religious, gender or sexual orientation information. All Guests agree that Carnival may (1) keep their personal and sensitive data, (2) use it in its business worldwide in accordance with its published privacy policies, (3) share it with its affiliated or related companies and (4) subject it to processing worldwide provided Carnival’s safeguards are used.

IMHO, this could more easily be read: "Guests may also provide Carnival or others information to help us identify our target demographics, especially if you're a DINK (Dual Income, No Kids). We are well aware that the LGBTQ community spends more per person on their vacation than any other group, so we invest more in marketing and in specialized advertising venues to attract you."

The key parts are the "why" after the "what."

(2) Use it in its business worldwide (translation: marketing)

(3) share it with its affiliated or related companies (translation: sharing and cross-referencing info in marketing databases), and

(4) subject it to processing (translation: chart the purchasing habits of our customers by their age, gender, sexual orientation, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

So my husband and I just got back from our fourth Carnival cruise, and there is one thing that keeps bothering me. We have requested a king bed 4 times and for the forth time the request was ignored. When my carnival vacation planner found out, she was pissed and told me to email John Heald, talk to the cruise director etc... John was the CD on one of our cruise, and we already emailed him about it when it happened. For that cruise I even called Carnival to make sure they knew we wanted a king bed because it would always change back to twin beds on the website)

The stewards are always accommodating and it is always fixed the first day.

I spoke to the CD for this cruise, and he was nice but a bit dismissive and pretty much implied they are worried about offending straight people by having the beds pushed together (implying they are gay).

I am curious. Does this happen to anyone else when they cruise on Carnival? I have talked to other LGBT Carnival customers and it has happened to them as well. Once or twice I would call an oversight, more than that I would say that at least there needs to be some corporate cultural sensitivity training (or it is just outright homophobic corporate policy)

My point is if you are going to ignore a bed request based on the fact that the people sharing the bed are of the same gender, why even ask in the first place? :confused::confused:

I am curious. Does this happen to anyone else when they cruise on Carnival? I have talked to other LGBT Carnival customers and it has happened to them as well. Once or twice I would call an oversight, more than that I would say that at least there needs to be some corporate cultural sensitivity training (or it is just outright homophobic corporate policy)

My point is if you are going to ignore a bed request based on the fact that the people sharing the bed are of the same gender, why even ask in the first place? :confused::confused:

The bed request is a glitch in the system and happens all the time, even for straight cruisers. I wish they'd get rid of it because it hardly works and their website is always glitchy. If you had a bad experience with their customer service reps or your steward, than you have a valid reason to be mad, but honestly the online system sucks. You could call Carnival's e-solutions department to notify them of your issue.

We usually end up having two twins in our cabin and just ask our cabin steward to change it. It's usually done by sail away.

I don't care if they know, want to know or share it. Once they've been paid I don't think they really care. When I booked my cruise I specifically told them I wanted the queen bed, but when we got there it was still the two singles. I let our steward know, who was the sweetest little guy and gay himself, and he quickly fixed it when we went to dinner. I guess they "assumed" since there were two men booked in that cabin the beds should be separate, but oh well it all worked out. As far as that information you read in the contract, it must have been very tiny print or I just overlooked it on my way to get a cocktail! :)

What is funny is I ask for the beds to be together. Most of the time the beds are together on cruise lines we have tried. The fun thing is my str8 parents want the beds apart and most of the times they are together. I think most of the info does not get to the people that need it.

I do the E-doc online. They want flight info to and from the cruise. What do I get on the 2nd day of a 14 day cruise. They want to know my flight and info for leaving the ship.

My take on this? I think you are reading too much into the beds situation. I suspect that giving you a choice on the bed setup is simply a courtesy without any intention.

Cruise lines are working on such a tight budget these days that I am sure cabin staff simply leave the bed setup in place from the previous occupants of the cabin. In 24 cruises I have never had an issue with cabin steward changing the configuration if it didn't work for us.

Honestly, do you think a cruise line would deliberately go to the trouble of ignoring a request because of a hidden agenda? I suspect an explanation given that may be awkward for you to hear, is better than them admitting that staff are run ragged and ignore ALL bed requests.

I couldn't care less if Carnival knows I'm gay - I've been out since 1975.

But if you've read the privacy policies of most commercial entities lately, you'll know that whatever information the entity collects - or even, as seems implicit here, speculates about - is not going to be kept "private" in the historical sense of that word.

No, it won't keep me from cruising with Carnival - I like Carnival. But let's all understand what's going on here.

I think you're reading a little too far into this if you're implying that Carnival automatically assumes anyone of the same sex who request one bed are gay. On the contrary, my PVP (and thus "Carnival") knows my sexual orientation because I've told her that a previous trip was with my partner. I also have her on Facebook, but that's besides the point haha. I self disclosed because I know her well enough and felt like that was relevant, same as I'd share details about whoever else I'm sailing with. I read this as being more concerned with privacy "if" you in any way disclose your orientation. It definitely happens and I think they're probably smart to write something in about how they handle that information.

If you're suggesting they do more with that info, well maybe, but I'm not going to be getting out my tinfoil hat or anything :P just look at most e-mail programs and how they auto-generate ads, they have a pretty good idea of my orientation without me disclosing but I'm not going and getting upset with Gmail. It's the nature of modern privacy.

• 3 weeks later...
So my husband and I just got back from our fourth Carnival cruise, and there is one thing that keeps bothering me. We have requested a king bed 4 times and for the forth time the request was ignored. When my carnival vacation planner found out, she was pissed and told me to email John Heald, talk to the cruise director etc... John was the CD on one of our cruise, and we already emailed him about it when it happened. For that cruise I even called Carnival to make sure they knew we wanted a king bed because it would always change back to twin beds on the website)

I spoke to the CD for this cruise, and he was nice but a bit dismissive and pretty much implied they are worried about offending straight people by having the beds pushed together (implying they are gay).

I made the king bed selection online for our cruise back in January and when we got in the room it was set up as twins. The steward came in right away and we asked him to set up as a king and it was done immediately. As someone else mentioned it must be a glitch or something they really do not pay attention to when you select it.

We have another cruise this January and I just logged in and selected the king bed setup....... I'll be curious to see if they actually set it up that way, but not a big deal if they don't as long as they set up as promptly as our last steward :cool:

I think you're reading a little too far into this if you're implying that Carnival automatically assumes anyone of the same sex who request one bed are gay. On the contrary, my PVP (and thus "Carnival") knows my sexual orientation because I've told her that a previous trip was with my partner. I also have her on Facebook, but that's besides the point haha. I self disclosed because I know her well enough and felt like that was relevant, same as I'd share details about whoever else I'm sailing with. I read this as being more concerned with privacy "if" you in any way disclose your orientation. It definitely happens and I think they're probably smart to write something in about how they handle that information.

If you're suggesting they do more with that info, well maybe, but I'm not going to be getting out my tinfoil hat or anything :P just look at most e-mail programs and how they auto-generate ads, they have a pretty good idea of my orientation without me disclosing but I'm not going and getting upset with Gmail. It's the nature of modern privacy.

I might suggest that "modern privacy" is an oxymoron... :D

And like I said...for me, that cat was out of the bag long ago.

• 1 month later...

...Guests may also provide Carnival or others certain sensitive data such as health, medical, dietary, religious, gender or sexual orientation information....

(d) All Guests agree that Carnival may disclose personal or sensitive data to... comply with law, applicable regulations, governmental and quasi-governmental requests, orders or legal process....

I guess this part is what bothers me the most, given the apparent homophobia in some of the Caribbean islands, i.e., Jamaica. And other countries, where there are regulations against gays. The local administrators could demand that Carnival hand-over their manifest, with the FOD status. And potentially arrest or harass those guests. Unlikely (I don't want to sound paranoid), however, possible. And Carnival would comply.

I guess this part is what bothers me the most, given the apparent homophobia in some of the Caribbean islands, i.e., Jamaica. And other countries, where there are regulations against gays. The local administrators could demand that Carnival hand-over their manifest, with the FOD status. And potentially arrest or harass those guests. Unlikely (I don't want to sound paranoid), however, possible. And Carnival would comply.

"FOD status"? They keep records of FOD meetings? "And Carnival would comply"? Yes, a bit paranoid.

It's in their privacy policy because some lawyer in their corporate office said "hey, we need to be sure we're covered for everything." Because you may travel with someone of the same sex and ask for "beds together" or ask for an "anniversary cake" when traveling with that person, or perhaps show up on a videotape somewhere at the place where they are holding the FOD, and then an inference could be drawn that you are gay, and you would have indirectly been the source of that information. They are saying they are going to safeguard it, but they are not responsible for having received that information based on your conduct. It's a cover your a** situation.

Carnival is not going to go around divulging the orientation of their paying customers. That would just be ridiculous.

You are also wondering if a governmental agency could just board in port and basically say "round up the gays!" - first, Carnival, if it has any self-respect would fight any legal process to divulge anything, but also whatever country that would be doing that would be quickly creating an international incident.

Edited by MattInFLL

• 3 weeks later...

They always ignore the King Bed request and I have to ask to have the beds moved together.