Single lady 60 yrs UK- Silversea a good choice?

fraj1

Hi - I'm returning to cruising but now as a single lady and thinking of a cruise on Silver Wind. A good choice? Just wondering if many singles travel with Silversea? I also like to play bridge. Any advice much appreciated!

I think you will very much enjoy Silversea as a single. They really take care of those traveling single. We've met quite a few single ladies on Silversea and they all seem to have a great time. Don't be bashful. Introduce yourself around. The pax on SS are always a very interesting and very international group. Haven't cruised Cloud or Wind yet, but folks that have keep going back and say they're their favorites.

Hi - I'm returning to cruising but now as a single lady and thinking of a cruise on Silver Wind. A good choice? Just wondering if many singles travel with Silversea? I also like to play bridge. Any advice much appreciated!

Hi fraj1

It's easy peasy to travel on SS as a solo...lots do and so do I. Make sure u join a roll call here on the SS board and then also attend the singles get together. Join a trivia team and u will be set! :D

Enjoy

Cheers

Jennifer

Oh, you'll be fine! I've been lucky enough to have been on the same cruise with a widowed, 85 yo lady from northern England twice (anyone know Daphne R?) who was rarely alone on the ship and always enjoyed herself.

I am also a single lady now, a bit older than you are. So far I have travelled solo on several different cruise lines, and Silversea is definitely my favorite. Just returned home from a Singapore to Shanghai cruise on Whisper, but I have also been twice on Cloud, sister ship to Wind. Cloud and Wind are small ships where you can easily get to know people.

There is no reason at all that you would not be happy on Silver Wind. You will be well taken care of, you will meet a lot of interesting people. As mentioned by ging466 you should attend the meeting for solo travelers, usually on the first day, and get to know other passengers who are on their own. On this last cruise we had a very nice group of people who met now and then, but also mixed with other people who were not solo. But when it comes to Roll Calls this has been one of the problems with Silversea. There has been very little response on my cruises, none at all on the last one. On other cruise lines you could meet more CC friends.

Anyway, for me, it is highly likely that my next cruise will be on Silversea again.

I can't think of a better experience for a single woman than Silversea. You'll be very, very comfortable and superbly cared for. You'll find that the passengers are mature, interesting people who enjoy meeting others. Don't hesitate to introduce yourself - you'll be well rewarded. Another plus: at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, you can dine alone, with a new friend, or you can tell the maitre d' that you'd like to join a table with others. Passengers who sit at these tables for 4 or 6 do so because they wish to meet others, so you know you'll be warmly welcomed. I hope you'll give Silversea a try.

Thanks everyone for your really helpful and encouraging responses...I'm almost there! Thanks especially to Seafairer for all your responses to my posts - most helpful!

Agree with the earlier posters. On our July 2010 Silver Cloud experience along the Norway Coast, there were several UK ladies fitting this category. It was fun meeting and talking with them. On small, personal ships like Silversea, it is much easier to have enjoyable chats and experiences with such a nice variety of people. Glad you are going for "IT". Yes, definitely post on the roll call, etc.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 64,971 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I'm now booked!! Thanks to everyone for all their help on this post and all the others I posted whilst doing my research....10 years since my last cruise and this will be my first as a single...can't wait! Thanks again!

:) I'm now booked!! :) Thanks to everyone for all their help on this post and all the others I posted to....10 years since my last cruise and this will be my first as a single...can't wait! Thanks again! :)

Hi Fraj1,

I totally agree with all of the above comments.

It's almost impossible not to make friends onboard given the size of the vessels.

We recently returned from Fremantle to Singapore cruise on Silver Shadow, and whilst not travelling alone myself, there were a considerable number of both men & women who were.

Although not a player, Bridge seemed a popular pastime onboard.

Gentlemen Hosts have already been mentioned for the ladies, but on one evening when my partner retired early, and I was sitting alone in the Panorama Lounge, I was invited onto the dance floor by one of the girls from the show team. So they do go to considerable lengths to ensure that everyone feels welcome and included.

The Maitre'd or one of the head waiters will also offer to take your arm when showing you to a table in the restaurant.

You've made an excellent choice!

Peter

Archived