Questions for NOLA experts...is this doable in a day?

misha1

Good morning! DH and I are very excited about our trip to NOLA next March. I have been reading and mapping to make sure we see all we can in our 5 days pre and post cruise (2 before and 3 after). We are staying at Embassy pre cruise. On our first full day we would like to take the Riverfront streetcar to the French Market and then start a walk back to the Warehouse district. Along the way we hope to spend time at the Fench Market, Jax Brewery, the Moon walk, Cafe' du Monde, Jackson Square and St Louis Cathedral, Central Grocery, checking out steamboat Natchez and maybe even a Ferry ride to Algiers, Did I miss anything that we should include and is this plan doable in 8-10 hours? Thanks in advance.

Personally, based on what you want to see it is doable. I would suggest a Ghost tour and a tour of St. Louis #1. I would also suggest exploring more of the FQ by going to Royal and Chatres Streets.

You'll end up doing a lot of walking so wear very comfortable shoes. I stayed in the French Quarter, so I was close to just about everything I wanted to see/do (that was open).....

As I encountered, many places are closed at least one or two days a week. It could be Sunday, Monday, or in some places, Tuesday. List what you want to see and split or up into bits and that way you can take your time.

Edited by misguidedangel

Good morning! DH and I are very excited about our trip to NOLA next March. I have been reading and mapping to make sure we see all we can in our 5 days pre and post cruise (2 before and 3 after). We are staying at Embassy pre cruise. On our first full day we would like to take the Riverfront streetcar to the French Market and then start a walk back to the Warehouse district. Along the way we hope to spend time at the Fench Market, Jax Brewery, the Moon walk, Cafe' du Monde, Jackson Square and St Louis Cathedral, Central Grocery, checking out steamboat Natchez and maybe even a Ferry ride to Algiers, Did I miss anything that we should include and is this plan doable in 8-10 hours? Thanks in advance.

I think it's "doable," but I'm not sure you'd want to move that quickly through a city so full of history and culture. Just my opinion

Totally agreed! There is so much to see it is hard to cram it all in. I still need to get out to the plantations.

Do find out what is closed and on what day. Many places are closed on Monday. That would be a good day to explore the French Market, the cathedral, and so on. You should check their hours of operation and go from there.

I think it's "doable," but I'm not sure you'd want to move that quickly through a city so full of history and culture. Just my opinion

I agree also.... it's probably technically do-able.... but, if you're like me, don't be surprised if your schedule will basically go out the window in New Orleans. There is so much to see, so many diversions.... just wandering around. And I probably wouldn't do a river cruise on the Natchez (is that what you meant??) and Algiers Ferry on the same day.

From all I have read and heard about NOLA, I know that I will have to return...5 days in the city probably will not hit all of the bucket list items. We will do a plantation and bayou tour upon our return from our cruise. Thanks for the reminders to check when things are open. We are in NOLA on Easter Sunday and will plan to watch the parades, do a Jazz brunch, wandering the FQ thru-out the day and evening. My plan for the waterfront pre-cruise was in an attempt to keep organized and see all we can see in one day at the waterfront. Our first day in NOLA will be spent in the Garden and Warehouse district. I wanted to make sure, logistically, that what I planned would be doable. We are not rigidly set in our self tour, so bring it on NOLA! Thanks for the advice everyone.

You won't be far from a stop for the Riverside Streetcar (Julia Street at Riverwalk Mall). Fare for it is $1.25 per person per ride or you can get a daily card for $3. The daily card is good for 24 hours and on any city streetcar or bus, so if you're going to use it more than twice in a 24 hour timeframe, it's worth the money. Last stop is the French Market. Downriver side of the Market (where you get off the streetcar) is a flea market - upriver side is more local stuff. Depending on how much you want to shop this could take 30 minutes or a couple hours. From there - the "official" French Market continues along Decatur street to Jackson Square - but in reality it's just shops (I consider the open-air part of the market the French Market).

Central Grocery will be on the right hand side of the street as you walk. It is historic, and their Muffulettas are good, but I'd recommend if you're wanting the sandwich to get one to go, walk down to the riverside to eat it (if the weather is nice.) And if they are too busy, you can get muffulettas at many other restaurants (I love the ones at Napoleon House).

Cafe du Monde will be on the left, just before Jackson Square. Definitely worth a stop (or two - or three!) Depending on time of day there may be a line of people waiting for a table. Afternoons and evenings you can usually just walk in. Beignets are 3 to an order. Coffee or Café au lait is by the cup (no refills). While here, go around back (to Dutch Alley) and watch them make the beignets!

Jackson Square on the right of Decatur - lovely square surrounded by shops and art on display. All the art around the Square has to be original and you can get some good buys if you're looking for art - otherwise just looking is fine. St. Louis Cathedral is on the Square - as is the Cabildo & the Presbytere, two of the state museums. Many museums are closed on Monday - so keep that in mind. The Cathedral is open 7am-5pm and you can walk around - very historic and beautiful. It does close if there is a Mass or ceremony (baptism or wedding) going on.

Moonwalk is steps down to the river at Jackson Square. It's a walk by, or at most a photo stop. Actually you can get better photos from Artillery Park (up the stairs, across Decatur from Jackson Square) both of Jackson Square and of the River and the Moonwalk.

Jax Brewery - hmmm - I guess as a local the only thing I do there is use the bathroom. High end shops is about all that's there.

Steamboat Natchez docks here. If you're going to take a ride on it, you may want to save this to another day because it's a couple hours. I would also recommend you NOT take a dinner cruise. The cruise is OK, the dinner not so much. Of course I'm used to GOOD food, so I'm spoiled.

From this area there isn't much to see on the way back to your hotel, so I'd hop back on the streetcar for a return - or wander around the Quarter a while. Royal Street is closed to traffic most days and has great shops and street performers, tarot readers, mimes, musicians - some good, some not so good. If you like them, have your photo taken, stand and listen - you should tip them. Do NOT give a pity tip to anyone (we do have a homeless problem and a gutter punk population - there are shelters for the first group and the second are usually well supported by parents somewhere). There will also be people asking for donations or giving you "citations" or hats or . . . don't believe any of them. There are very few of them who are legit.

The ferry across the river is a great ride. It leaves from close to your hotel (the Hilton stop on the streetcar). It USED to be the best free thing in New Orleans - then they cut the hours and started charging for it. There's not much to see across the river, but the ride is a good view of the French Quarter.

The French Market in the morning is great if you are looking for inexpensive souvenirs and will be much cheaper than any of the shops in the FQ. I like to pick up inexpensive sunglasses in the French Market which will be perfect for your cruise, especially if you have a water activity where you wouldn't want to lose an expensive pair. You may also want to pick up some fresh fruits to enjoy in your room in the evening or just as an afternoon snack while sitting on the MoonWalk watching the boats on the river.

I am not a fan of Jax either, but I just don't see anything really special about it other than I have run in a few times to pick up a shirt at Perlis for a gift.

I would skip the ferry and don't really see it as a must do item.

As others have stated don't try to fit it all in if you are enjoying an activity. Part of the best things about NOLA is there is something on every street corner.

Thanks maps...I like your Royal street suggestions and 'be aware' advice. I appreciate the advice on jax brewery also. As a first timer, I would have probably spent too much time there. Worth a look but we have high end shopping here too. Would rather spend my money on food and drink.

The French Market in the morning is great if you are looking for inexpensive souvenirs and will be much cheaper than any of the shops in the FQ. I like to pick up inexpensive sunglasses in the French Market which will be perfect for your cruise, especially if you have a water activity where you wouldn't want to lose an expensive pair. You may also want to pick up some fresh fruits to enjoy in your room in the evening or just as an afternoon snack while sitting on the MoonWalk watching the boats on the river.

I am not a fan of Jax either, but I just don't see anything really special about it other than I have run in a few times to pick up a shirt at Perlis for a gift.

I would skip the ferry and don't really see it as a must do item.

As others have stated don't try to fit it all in if you are enjoying an activity. Part of the best things about NOLA is there is something on every street corner.

All good advice...thanks.

You won't be far from a stop for the Riverside Streetcar (Julia Street at Riverwalk Mall). Fare for it is $1.25 per person per ride or you can get a daily card for $3. The daily card is good for 24 hours and on any city streetcar or bus, so if you're going to use it more than twice in a 24 hour timeframe, it's worth the money. Last stop is the French Market. Downriver side of the Market (where you get off the streetcar) is a flea market - upriver side is more local stuff. Depending on how much you want to shop this could take 30 minutes or a couple hours. From there - the "official" French Market continues along Decatur street to Jackson Square - but in reality it's just shops (I consider the open-air part of the market the French Market).

Central Grocery will be on the right hand side of the street as you walk. It is historic, and their Muffulettas are good, but I'd recommend if you're wanting the sandwich to get one to go, walk down to the riverside to eat it (if the weather is nice.) And if they are too busy, you can get muffulettas at many other restaurants (I love the ones at Napoleon House).

Cafe du Monde will be on the left, just before Jackson Square. Definitely worth a stop (or two - or three!) Depending on time of day there may be a line of people waiting for a table. Afternoons and evenings you can usually just walk in. Beignets are 3 to an order. Coffee or Café au lait is by the cup (no refills). While here, go around back (to Dutch Alley) and watch them make the beignets!

Jackson Square on the right of Decatur - lovely square surrounded by shops and art on display. All the art around the Square has to be original and you can get some good buys if you're looking for art - otherwise just looking is fine. St. Louis Cathedral is on the Square - as is the Cabildo & the Presbytere, two of the state museums. Many museums are closed on Monday - so keep that in mind. The Cathedral is open 7am-5pm and you can walk around - very historic and beautiful. It does close if there is a Mass or ceremony (baptism or wedding) going on.

Moonwalk is steps down to the river at Jackson Square. It's a walk by, or at most a photo stop. Actually you can get better photos from Artillery Park (up the stairs, across Decatur from Jackson Square) both of Jackson Square and of the River and the Moonwalk.

Jax Brewery - hmmm - I guess as a local the only thing I do there is use the bathroom. High end shops is about all that's there.

Steamboat Natchez docks here. If you're going to take a ride on it, you may want to save this to another day because it's a couple hours. I would also recommend you NOT take a dinner cruise. The cruise is OK, the dinner not so much. Of course I'm used to GOOD food, so I'm spoiled.

From this area there isn't much to see on the way back to your hotel, so I'd hop back on the streetcar for a return - or wander around the Quarter a while. Royal Street is closed to traffic most days and has great shops and street performers, tarot readers, mimes, musicians - some good, some not so good. If you like them, have your photo taken, stand and listen - you should tip them. Do NOT give a pity tip to anyone (we do have a homeless problem and a gutter punk population - there are shelters for the first group and the second are usually well supported by parents somewhere). There will also be people asking for donations or giving you "citations" or hats or . . . don't believe any of them. There are very few of them who are legit.

The ferry across the river is a great ride. It leaves from close to your hotel (the Hilton stop on the streetcar). It USED to be the best free thing in New Orleans - then they cut the hours and started charging for it. There's not much to see across the river, but the ride is a good view of the French Quarter.

What is the Moonwalk??

One more question.... Are you still able to drive onto the Algiers Point Ferry?? And if so where do you board the ferry with your vehicle??

No, the ferry now has limited hours and is pedestrian only. To answer your last question I've always considered the Moonwalk is a set of stair down to the river at the Jackson Square area. Named for Maurice "Moon" Landrieu, a past mayor. Others consider it the whole walkway along the river - is is a nice walkway and a nice place to go for peace & quiet. At times it's overrun by gutterpunks.

map70065- I will also be in new Orleans in april. I am staying at the bourbon Orleans. I love your suggestions for Jackson square. I use a

mobility scooter. how accessible is the area

thanks for all your advice/suggestions

No, the ferry now has limited hours and is pedestrian only. To answer your last question I've always considered the Moonwalk is a set of stair down to the river at the Jackson Square area. Named for Maurice "Moon" Landrieu, a past mayor. Others consider it the whole walkway along the river - is is a nice walkway and a nice place to go for peace & quiet. At times it's overrun by gutterpunks.

Thank you for the tips and advice

map70065- I will also be in new Orleans in april. I am staying at the bourbon Orleans. I love your suggestions for Jackson square. I use a mobility scooter. how accessible is the area

thanks for all your advice/suggestions

Jackson Square itself isn't accessible (there are a couple steps to get into the square), but you really don't need to go into the square itself. It's a park, with benches and grass and statues - but not much else. Nice to look at - and good place to relax at times, but not a necessity.

You're going to want to be AROUND the square and that is very accessible. The streets on 3 sides are closed to traffic and there are wide walkways along the shops. It's a great place to see - lost of art, some musicians, some mimes, some fortune tellers, some bums (usually harmless). You can scoot all the way around at your speed.

Royal Street is closed to traffic during the day, which also makes it easy to travel along there - where you'll also see musicians (from folk to rock to jazz to opera) mimes, fortune tellers, sometimes magicians - you never know just what will show up. Royal is my choice of streets to travel the majority of time. It's safe and well traveled.

Bourbon Street is closed to traffic at night (sometimes) - but is full of drunks. It can be an obstacle course, especially on weekends. If I have to go more than a block I usually go over to Royal to get close to where I'm going and then return to Bourbon.

Decatur Street is a busy street, but has wide sidewalks - lots of shopping there.

You really shouldn't have any trouble getting most places with a scooter. You DO need to be careful of the potholes - both in the streets and on the sidewalks. They can swallow you up <G>.

map70065- thank you so much for the advise. I don't plan on going out at night so not to worried about the crowds/drunks. my main goal is the cathedral and the French market and of course café du monde. I love watching all the street artist. I am really looking forward to scooting round

and seeing the sites.