Help!!! Sea legs still hanging around 6 days later, Will this feeling pass ever?!

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:36 PM.
MN
8 Posts
Joined Apr 2011

I have never taken a cruise before and decided it would be fun to do on my hunymoon, I was on the carnival inspiration in Tampa for 5 days got off last sat at 9am hopped on a plane to MN right after and 6 days later I still have my sea legs I tried all the over the counter meds and seabands and meclazine, ginger, nothing seems to help. And I have gotten really dizzy a few times. it only seems to go away when Im in the car or if I have been up for a while.

I wish I would have known this was a thing that could happern before I went on my cruise. Worried that this is a permenant thing, everyone tells me that it will pass in time but I have heard of it lasting for years and now I think I have worried myself! has anyone had it last longer than a week before?
New Jersey
182 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
same thing happened to a co-worker of mine. turned out she had an ear infection. if you're still sick after taking a decongestant like the above person suggested, you probably should see a doctor.
hope you feel better soon! :-)
75 Posts
Joined Jun 2004
If you have had it for 6 days then its probably inner ear. Every cruise I go on I get it and end up at the doctor. I am one of the lucky ones that can party it up on the boat but can't stand getting off it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Colorado
2,353 Posts
Joined May 2008
Here is a very recent thread on the same subject.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...7#post28887617

I posted in this thread as well. I have had it last anywhere from 3 days to 3 months. There is no finite time line as it varies greatly from person to person. Like the poster above stated, if it remains bothersome, see your doctor. But please, don't worry yourself silly over it. More than likely, it will continue to lessen until it is gone completely.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Going:
Carnival Conquest, Eastern Caribbean 02/17/18
Carnival Conquest, Eastern Caribbean 02/25/18
Gone:
Carnival Freedom, Western Caribbean 01/21/17
Carnival Freedom, Western Caribbean 01/14/17

Carnival Conquest, Eastern Caribbean 05/14/16
Carnival Liberty, Southern Caribbean 03/06/16
Carnival Magic, Western Caribbean 05/10/15
Carnival Pride, Southern Caribbean 03/15/15
Carnival Freedom, Eastern Caribbean 02/23/13
Carnival Liberty, Western Caribbean 01/29/12
Enchantment of the Seas, Bahamas 05/7/09
Caribbean Princess, Eastern Caribbean 04/20/08
Carnival Destiny, Eastern Caribbean 11/9/97
KC Metro
165 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
We got off the Inspiration on a Monday and I still didn't have my land-legs back on Thursday. I took half a bonine (chewable meclizine) and that got me over the problem. I did not have a cold or ear infection.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Ecstasy, 5 days, 01/16/12 (2 sisters)
Carnival Inspiration, 4 days, 02/17/11

Minneapolis (Formerly Wash.DC)
47 Posts
Joined Sep 2008
I always get this after I cruise. For me, it usually lasts 7-14 days and eventually goes away. (Just yesterday I stopped feeling it from my April 3 cruise). I find that taking strong OTC decongestants (the kind you have to go to the pharmacy desk for) helps greatly.

Hang in there!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Past Cruises:
Carnival Inspiration (So. Carib.) - Feb. 1999
RCI Monarch of the Seas (Bahamas) - Nov. 2008
Carnival Triumph (Western Carib.) - April 2009
Carnival Valor (Western Carib.) - April 2011
RCI Freedom OTS (Eastern Carib.) - Nov. 2012
Diamond Princess (Alaska) - July 2013
MN
8 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Thanks for the reassurance guys! It helps to hear that everyone eventually gets over this hopefully it will pass soon, I will try taking some decongestants, I wonder if I had taken sea sickness meds while on the Cruise if I wouldn't have had this issue. I actually called carnival yesterday to see if they had ever expirienced this and the custoemr service woman said she had never heard of it. My co workers all felt really bad for me because I was wobbling all around for the past few days. My dad thinks its funny and just laughs at me.
Syracuse, NY
1,705 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Originally posted by seahowIrun
Thanks for the reassurance guys! It helps to hear that everyone eventually gets over this hopefully it will pass soon, I will try taking some decongestants, I wonder if I had taken sea sickness meds while on the Cruise if I wouldn't have had this issue. I actually called carnival yesterday to see if they had ever expirienced this and the custoemr service woman said she had never heard of it. My co workers all felt really bad for me because I was wobbling all around for the past few days. My dad thinks its funny and just laughs at me.
bonine starting the day before the cruise, each day on the cruise and a few days after. religiously even if you feel fine. i swear by bonine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Carnivale - Bahamas - 5/88
Carnival Tropicale - Western Caribbean - 10/95 (Honeymoon Cruise)
Carnival Triumph - Eastern Caribbean - 10/03
Carnival Glory - Eastern Caribbean - 11/05
Carnival Sensation - Nassau - 04/09 (Kids 1st Cruise)
Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean - 08/09
Carnival Dream - Eastern Caribbean - 02/10
Carnival Glory - Canada - 8/10
Carnival Destiny - Western Caribbean - 1/11 (Poker Grand Finals)
Carnival Pride - PLATINUM Eastern Caribbean - 8/11
Carnival Miracle - Eastern Caribbean - 04/12
Carnival Splendor - Bahamas - 03/31/13
Carnival Sunshine - Canada 6/30/16
RCL Anthem of the Sea - Bahamas 3/26/17
Fredericksburg, va. USA
83,423 Posts
Joined May 2001
Or, Benadryl....an antihistimine will be better than a decongestant...try it.

And, it usually goes away in about 10 days or so.....the longest it's lasted for me is 2 weeks...the shortest...3 days. It's NOT permanent!
Hiddenite, NC (where's that?)
1,592 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
Originally posted by cb at sea
Or, Benadryl....an antihistimine will be better than a decongestant...try it.

And, it usually goes away in about 10 days or so.....the longest it's lasted for me is 2 weeks...the shortest...3 days. It's NOT permanent!
...all the same, touch base with your doctor to make sure it's not something in your ears.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
de N4JNM
WQSD559

John (the Oldrailfan)
Railfan - anything on rails: trains, trolleys, rollercoasters - you name it!

"I ALWAYS TAKE A CABIN ON THE STARBOARD SIDE OF THE SHIP - I'M ODD THAT WAY..." (Think about it)

Bet you'll never guess my Facebook username

Rusty-girl and Oldrailfan - we're those cute old-timers in the matching outfits!

USS Carl Vinson -Jan 1986 (VIP - fly on/R.O.N./fly off)
USS Nimitz - Feb 1989 (Tiger Cruise, Pearl Harbor to Alameda CA)
1) Jubilee - May 2004 - porthole, KW and Nassau
2) Carnival Glory - Sep 2007 - interior, Coz, Belize, Costa Maya (missed, storm damage) so Roatan, and Freeport instead of Nassau to make up time
3) Fascination - Sep 2010 - balcony, HMC and Nassau
4) Fascination - Sep 2011 - ocean view, HMC and Nassau
5) Fascination - Apr/May 2012 interior, HMC (rained out) so Nassau and Freeport
6) B2B Fascination May 2012 - interior (never again), Freeport and Nassau
7) Fascination - Aug 2012 - ocean view, HMC and Nassau
8) B2B Fascination - Aug 2012 - ocean view, Freeport and Nassau
9) Fascination - Feb 2013 - ocean view,KW and Nassau
10) Fascination - May 2013 - grand suite, Grand Turk HMC and Nassau -
Platinum, baby!!
11) Fascination - Sep/Oct 2013 - to be assigned (code for Owner's Suite), Nassau and LSC
12) B2B Fascination - Oct 2013 - aft facing balcony, HMC and Nassau
13) Fascination - Nov 2013 - ocean view (Not anymore - upgraded: TBA - see cruise 11 ), KW and Nassau - Birthday cruise! Last second move: Added the Grandkids so they could share my birthday.
UPCOMING: 14) Ecstasy - Apr 2016 - ocean view, Nassau and HMC

Member of the WHALE TAIL CLUB.
Unofficial Chief Headlight and Backyard Swing inspector.

With my luck, when my ship comes in I'll be train watching...
Beautiful Abilene, Texas
305 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
I get it after every cruise, it goes away just annoying, but do check in with Dr just to make sure. Better safe than a broken nose from that wall that isn't so forgiving.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Ectasy - Dec. 10, 2007 (5 day) Galveston
Carnival Conquest - Dec. 14, 2008 (7 day) Galveston
Carnival Conquest - February 8, 2009 (7 day) Galveston
Carnival Conquest - Dec. 13, 2009 (7 day) Galvestion
Carnival Legend - Dec. 12, 2010 (7 day) Tampa
Carnival Liberty - Dec. 10, 2011 (7 day) Miami
Carnival Conquest - Dec. 9, 2012 (7 day) New Orleans
Carnival Magic - Dec. 1, 2013 (7 day) Galveston
Carnival Dream - Jan. 31,2016 (7 day) New Orleans
818 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
I have huge issues in closed in areas like the shower after a cruise. I have almost fallen out of the shower many times while trying to wash my hair!
Spring, TX
424 Posts
Joined Jun 2006
Originally posted by RRLLAL
bonine starting the day before the cruise, each day on the cruise and a few days after. religiously even if you feel fine. i swear by bonine.
That's exactly what I do. The secret is to keep taking it for a few days post-cruise so that your body can adjust from a motion environment to a non-motion environment.

Even though I'm prone to seasickness and take Bonine religiously as above, I prefer a slight sway of the ship during the cruise, not a rocky motion, but just the slight sway. Makes for great naps
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Future cruises:
Carnival Freedom - 5/16 - E. Caribbean
Past cruises:
Carnival Freedom - 10/15 - Mexico (Halloween!)
Carnival Triumph - 7/15 - Mexico
Carnival Magic - 5/15 - W. Caribbean
Carnival Triumph - 10/14 - Mexico (Halloween!)
Carnival Magic - 5/14 - W. Caribbean
Carnival Triumph - 12/13 - Mexico
Carnival Valor - 6/13 - S. Caribbean
Carnival Ecstasy - 3/13 - Bahamas
Carnival Spirit - 9/12 - Alaska (AMAZING!)
Carnival Triumph - 6/12 - Mexico
Carnival Triumph - 1/12 - Mexico (daughter's college graduation celebration!)
Carnival Legend - 9/11 - W. Caribbean
Carnival Ecstasy - 4/11 - Mexico
Carnival Triumph - 9/10 - W. Caribbean
Carnival Ecstasy - 9/09 - Mexico
RCI Liberty OTS - 5/09 - E. Caribbean
RCI Voyager OTS - 3/09 - Mexico, Central America
RCI Mariner OTS - 10/08 - E. Caribbean but DIVERTED to W. Caribbean due to Hurricane Omar!
Carnival Conquest - 7/07 - W. Caribbean ~ Mother/daughter girls' HS grad trip!
RCI Splendour OTS - 4/07 - Mexico ~ our 25th anny cruise
RCI Freedom OTS - 6/06 - W. Caribbean ~ Voyage #5
RCI Rhapsody OTS - 7/05 - W. Caribbean ~ the cruise that hooked us on RCI
Lots and lots of land vacations
Carnival Carnivale - 1984 - Bahamas ~ small ship, but fun!
Carnival Mardi Gras - 1976 - E. Caribbean ~ first cruise
Little Rock, AR
106 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Yep, I have been there. I had major lightheaded episodes and a couple of really dizzy spells for a bit after my cruise. I took Dramamine daily and eventually it all stopped. I even went to the doctor to make sure my ears were okay. It should stop soon. I was pretty good during the cruise and the long drive home (17 hours). It was after I got home that I started feeling really woozy. As long as I was moving, I was okay!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Nevada
128 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by RRLLAL
Me too! Bonine is the best! I do the exact same thing...one Bonine the night before the cruise, every day of the cruise, and a couple days after (or more)....and I suffer from vertigo from my MS...but the Bonine is a life-saver!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature