U.S. pax and cruises to Cuba?

sail7seas

I have been debating with myself about sailing to Cuba. After reading about iillness suffered by some U.S. Diplomats in Cuba as well as some form Canada, it seems U.S. State Department has menitoned possible closing of the newly re-opened u.S. Embassy and Consulate. Were they to close the Embassy, would tha t factor into your choice of whether to sail to Cuba as an American? There is some confusion about the cause of this illness but I have not heard they have 'cleared Cuba' of any culpability. Some of our diplomats have been brought home. Would that influence your choices?

It would not influence me. Were there even the slightest chance of danger to the ship or passengers, they would change the itinerary.

As for what's going on over there, it seems likely that it is shenanigans by some agency unfriendly to the USA; I find it extremely unlikely that the Cuban government is involved. They want to normalize relations with the USA. Who gains from disrupting this? Russia. North Korea also have an embassy in Havana too. I'm not saying it's definitively Russia or the DPRK, but again, it's likely some actor that benefits from disrupting Cuban-American relations.

The 'sound attacks' were all against the American Embassy (and the Canadian one apparently). I would not be worried.

Enjoy your cruise

I have not yet been to Cuba myself, but I've many friends and family members who have been over the years (Canadian here, we were never part of the embargo) to the beach resorts and Havana.

From what I've been told and read about, the resorts are mostly 3 star at best, the people friendly, and Havana is like a time warp to 1959 what with all the old cars and such.

What troubles me is, that U.S. deems the situation severe enough to bring home some Diplomats. I donot expect or fear I ( or any cruise pax) would be deafened by whomeeevr iis stagting these attacks but it seems tobe unknown who is doing it. Is itt the Cuban gov't? If U.S. State Deparrtment does not know, I certainly don't but I do not need to insert myself into a place where Ameicans ( and some Canadians) are being harmed. on purpose.

Edited by sail7seas

Ooh that was a terrifying read! Now I am rethinking my earlier opinion. Still, I do not think the Cuban intelligence forces would be interested in bothering with American tourists. Ultimately if it turns out there are issues regarding passenger or ship safety the cruise lines won't go there.

Ooh that was a terrifying read! Now I am rethinking my earlier opinion. Still, I do not think the Cuban intelligence forces would be interested in bothering with American tourists. Ultimately if it turns out there are issues regarding passenger or ship safety the cruise lines won't go there.

Those are the storries I have heard reported several times and they are unsettling. I agree, it is unlikely there is risk to cruise ship pax. There is nothing to gain by injuring touists.

No. Nor would it stop us from doing an all inclusive to Cuba or doing a bed and breakfast stay with a local in Havana....just as we have done before.

I cannot imagine that I would be the target of anything other than a poor exchange rate, an overpriced tour, or some questionable souvenir that promptly broke or fell apart as soon as I got home.

We are not US citizens but our officials have also been targeted by this.

I have to admit that this incident really has me questioning about whether to cruise to Cuba or not. If this is a Cuban government action against our people then I will be staying home.

Spot on, CS! For me, it's not a question of whether or not tourists will be safe from sonic attacks such as those reported on USA and Canadian consulate/embassy personnel. It's a question of the Cuban government's demonstrated animosity toward the US. I consider an attack on my country (in the person of its officials and agents) as an attack on me (and all other US citizens) personally. I can see no good reason to support the repressive (and openly anti-US) Cuban government by spending my money in Cuba and, thus, will not be traveling to Cuba.

I spent a week in Cuba in February. I walked by the embassy, this big concrete slab near the western part of the Malecon. I might go back some time, but the status of the embassy is not of great relevance to whether I would.

It's this big concrete slab, as I said, with nothing else even close to it in size near it. Anything could be pointed at it from almost anywhere close by.

I spent a week in Cuba in February. I walked by the embassy, this big concrete slab near the western part of the Malecon. I might go back some time, but the status of the embassy is not of great relevance to whether I would.

It's this big concrete slab, as I said, with nothing else even close to it in size near it. Anything could be pointed at it from almost anywhere close by.

To me, the beauty of the building or lack therereof is not ,important, what it represents to me as a traveler is what matters ,

We booked a cruise for next March for 11 days. Two ports in Cuba and then others. The price was well over $5,000.00 per person for a veranda room. Well, it was just too much money for us and we cancelled. We will be on the Westerdam in November and plan on making another couple of future cruise deposits.