Question on transportation to terminal port

smakle

My husband and I will go on Princess cruise in Brooklyn NY terminal port soon. I would like to know what is the best way to get there. I am thinking to take Amtrak from Union Station DC to Penn Station in NY. What is the best way to get to the cruise terminal port from Penn Station train station? I was thinking to get the Northeast Motorcoach but it takes too long (8am to 4pm).

My husband and I will go on Princess cruise in Brooklyn NY terminal port soon. I would like to know what is the best way to get there. I am thinking to take Amtrak from Union Station DC to Penn Station in NY. What is the best way to get to the cruise terminal port from Penn Station train station? I was thinking to get the Northeast Motorcoach but it takes too long (8am to 4pm).

You don't need to take a bus. There are plenty of cabs available. Just outside Penn Station on the 8th Avenue side there is a Taxi Cab line, you can easily get one here and the ride to Brooklyn, should take around thirty to forty minutes depending on traffic.

Try and come in a day before your cruise, Amtrak trains are notoriously late.

Jonathan

You don't need to take a bus. There are plenty of cabs available. Just outside Penn Station on the 8th Avenue side there is a Taxi Cab line, you can easily get one here and the ride to Brooklyn, should take around thirty to forty minutes depending on traffic.

Try and come in a day before your cruise, Amtrak trains are notoriously late.

Jonathan

Long distance trains are often late, but the OP would be on a Northeast Regional or Acela and not have a problem with lateness. EM

just have the directions with you. NY yellow taxi's are required to take you but many honestly don't know where it is or will claim not to know so they won't have to go to the dreaded Brooklyn.

The directions from Penn Station are simple go west to the west side highway(12th avenue) make a left and go to the Brooklyn Battery Tunnel(Hugh Carey Tunnel) cash toll is $7.50 with a EZPass(required for all NY yellow cabs) its $5.33. Immediately after the toll booths take the Hamilton Avenue exit and Make two lefts(make sure not to get back onto the tunnel) go straight ahead to the light on Van Brunt street and make a left and then a right at the next light which is Bowne Street which will take you into the cruise terminal- there are blue cruise terminal signs to follow.

Even during rush hour this should take no more than 45 minutes and non-rush hour much less(like 20 minutes). It should be about a $30 ride on the meter plus toll and tip(15-20%).

You can also use a car service that will meet you and do this as a flat fare(plus toll and tip). Most car services will meet you or have you call when you get there from the train and tell you where to meet the car.

Penn Station is on the west side of Manhatten, its not near Brooklyn. The East River is between the two boroughs. Cabs are metered so you pay for the time it takes to get anywhere and if you have traffic, which is probable, it could be a high fare.

Check out taking a train or even subway to Brooklyn from Penn Station. Don't know if that's possible from Penn Station. Look into going to Brooklyn from Grand Central Station which is on the East side of THE CITY (Manhatten). That is an easy cab ride across THE CITY from Penn Station. Then when you get to Brooklyn, take a cab to the cruise terminal.

Penn Station is on the west side of Manhatten, its not near Brooklyn. The East River is between the two boroughs. Cabs are metered so you pay for the time it takes to get anywhere and if you have traffic, which is probable, it could be a high fare.

Check out taking a train or even subway to Brooklyn from Penn Station. Don't know if that's possible from Penn Station. Look into going to Brooklyn from Grand Central Station which is on the East side of THE CITY (Manhatten). That is an easy cab ride across THE CITY from Penn Station. Then when you get to Brooklyn, take a cab to the cruise terminal.

Just trying to picture using the subway while dragging luggage and then having to hail a taxi in Brooklyn. But it actually can be done from Penn Station by taking either the "A" or "C" Train over to High Street. From there a taxi fare would be pretty reasonable (probably around $10. So in the end one would save about $20 but not sure that is worth the hassle of dragging luggage from the train all the way to the correct subway station and then having to again drag your luggage from the subway out to the street...and then having to hail a cab (pray its not a rainy day). Personally, we would just take the taxi from Penn Station :)

Hank

while this may be technically feasible, did you ever try catching a cab in Brooklyn? and its two cab rides that with tip will cost $20 Its easier than it once was but they are not as plentiful as in Manhattan.

there is absolutely no reason to do this at all as they saying in Vegas you are making your points the hard way.. Penn Station is connected to the A and C trains.

I wouldn't get off at high street.

I would take the A or C or Jay Street in Brooklyn change across the track platform(no steps)to the F train to Carroll Street and catch a cab there because many cabs take Smith Street back to Manhattan and its fairly close to the cruise terminal. Better yet when you get out call arecibo-a local car service 7187836465 and have them come and get you and take you to the cruise terminal for about $10.

But I wouldn't do this at all. the subway with luggage is way too much a hassle to save $15 or so. ($20 for the cab and $2.75 pp for the subway)

BTW the directions for the cab in Brooklyn are make the first left you can on smith street than at the light make the first left on court street at Hamilton Avenue make the right and go straight on Hamilton Avenue to Van Brunt Street. left on Van Brunt and then the first right as above. Its less than a mile.

Unless you really know the subways I cannot imagine using them for this trip.

I lived in Brooklyn for several years, used and liked the subways...went everywhere on them, but I had time to learn and explore and didn't have a ship's timetable to conform to.

Take the train to Penn Station, get a cab (or car service) that will take you to the Carnival/Princess dock in the "Red Hook" area of Brooklyn.

Archived