Weather in August For Caribbean Cruise

Steve391972

Hi all

Me and the wife are thinking taking a cruise in August to the Caribbean (havent chosen which cruise line yet) but we were wondering what the weather is like down there considering its Hurricane season around that time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Steve

Hi all

Me and the wife are thinking taking a cruise in August to the Caribbean (havent chosen which cruise line yet) but we were wondering what the weather is like down there considering its Hurricane season around that time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Steve

Very hot and humid.

Plan a lot of water activities.

Being one who has cruised to the Caribbean and only in August, I agree with the others - it can be incredibly HOT and HUMID. The beach and watersports are good ways to cool off, but there are lots of other sites to experience on the islands. Some, like the Tulum Mayan ruins, are totally in the brutally hot sun, with a few trees thrown in for relief. Be sure to lather on the sunscreen, wear sunglasses, a hat, bring or buy LOTS of water, and seek out shade whenever possible. If you are adequately prepared for the heat, you will be fine.

The earlier in August the cruise, the better your chance of missing a hurricane. Otherwise, yes, hurricanes are always a possibility in the late summer and fall, but most of the time, the captain will just steer the ship somewhere else. Yes, you might miss a port that you were looking forward to, but that's the chance you take when cruising during Hurricane season.

When HAL used to leave their newest ship in the Caribbean for the summer, we cruised summer after summer and loved it. The islands were far less crowded, the beach days were many and we miss being able to sail HAL in the summer as they leave the Caribbean for a full six months of the year.

As the others have said it is very humid but the temperature does not vary that much from winter temps..... it gets more humid.

Remember that ships move and if there is a hurricane forecast, the ship will go a different route to avoid it. Captain will never put his ship, crew and guests at risk.

The islands were far less crowded, the beach days were many and we miss being able to sail HAL in the summer as they leave the Caribbean for a full six months of the year.

This seems to be the latest trend, fewer ships in the Caribbean in the summer. For instance, we have always been big fans of Princess, but next summer (2012), they will have no ships in the Caribbean. Makes it disappointing for those of us who love the Caribbean and can only cruise in August.

Has anyone mentioned yet that it's hot and humid in the Caribbean in August? Actually, the air may be dry if you get through the hurricane.

Careful how sarcastic....... :D

We sailed Canada/New England(Boston north as far as Montreal) last August into September. We had three ports cancelled in our seven day second week of b-to-b because of hurricane forecast headed to Boston. :eek: I see you list Boston as 'location' in your profile so you probably remember the threat of a very serious hurricane. We were due back in Boston on Saturday but arrived on Thursday afternoon, effectively ending our cruise.

One does not have to vacation in the Caribbean to be possibly in the path of a hurricane.

Careful how sarcastic....... :D

We sailed Canada/New England(Boston north as far as Montreal) last August into September. We had three ports cancelled in our seven day second week of b-to-b because of hurricane forecast headed to Boston. :eek: I see you list Boston as 'location' in your profile so you probably remember the threat of a very serious hurricane. We were due back in Boston on Saturday but arrived on Thursday afternoon, effectively ending our cruise.

One does not have to vacation in the Caribbean to be possibly in the path of a hurricane.

I understand that some people have no choice but to take their vacations during what is commonly known as hurricane season. If that is their only opportunity and they want to cruise in the Caribbean (as well as the Gulf of Mexico and the rest of the Atlantic as you point out), then all we can do is make sure they are aware of the risks.

If someone cruises often enough each year they are apt to run into hurricane season.

It is officially June 1 through November 30.

We cruise every 3-4 months in the Atlantic or Caribbean so we are going to be sailing in Hurricane Season. We have done so for more than 25 years (including European cruises) and have only been inconvenienced about 3 times so the odds are high in one's favor.

One of those 'inconveniences' was a Thanksgiving cruise. :eek:

Yes,the Caribbean is hot and humid in the Summer -- it is also generally hot and humid in the Spring and Fall, and just slightly less so in the Winter. Temperatures are fairly constant there year round --- averages perhaps 5 degrees higher in August than February -- rather than the 50 or so degree differences in average August and February temperatures in Connecticut.

There is chance of a hurricane which, with today's forecasting and ship speeds, means a possible change of itinerary, and not likelihood of danger.

We did the Carnival Pride out of Baltimore a couple summers ago. We weren't affected directly by the hurricanes swirling around in the Caibbean, but we did run across a couple other ships that had to modify itineraries because of them. Caribbean Princess and Carnival Miracle, both out of New York, came to Grand Turk the day we were there. Made it pretty busy, except for that hour when all the CB passengers left and before the Miracle passengers arrived. Pretty interesting sitting on the beach (and not being allowed in the water) watching while one ship left and the other pulled in.

And yes, it was hot and humid all week. Actually enjoyed the brief rain storm in Freeport LOL. We decided then that we wouldn't do a summer cruise to the Caribbean again (and lord knows, any of our cruises in January have been much cheaper than summertime). But as time passes, who knows, I may talk the family into going again. We know the risks and not to count on an itinerary going off as scheduled, which is fine by me as we cruise more for the ship than the ports anyway.

Hot.

Humid.

Hurricanes.

I just KNOW I'm the very first person to mention this! It can be almost unbearable.

But cheap!!. And, your cruise lines and length of cruise are very limited.

I did late August cruises in the Southern Caribbean three times on a private tall ship, and each time I wondered why European explorers in their heavy leather and metal armor didn't die on the spot from heat stroke!!~

Archived