T-Mobile Work in Alaska?

gordons4

Hi,

We're about to switch cell phone providers, and wondering if anyone has experience with T-Mobile coverage while in ports? Specifically Juneau, Ketchikan, and Sitka. :rolleyes:

And while I'm asking, do I understand correctly that we should TURN OFF our cell phones while on board ship to avoid ghastly charges? :eek:

Thanks for the help.

Sheri

Thank you for the replies. You have basically confirmed what T-Mobile told us--but I needed to hear it from fellow CCer's. :D

For some reason I trust all you complete strangers more than the complete stranger on the other end of the T-Mobile phone call. :rolleyes:

Sheri

• 7 years later...

Just to update this thread with a more recent experience, I used my t-mobile Simple Choice North American Plan in June 2016 without trouble in Anchorage, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan, Alaska .

Skagway throughput is known to be sketchy for most carriers, and t-mobile was no exception.

200 MB of data is available monthly for roaming (t-mobile roams in Alaska). Tethering works (hotspot from phone). This was a convenient option for using my chromebook while on ship at port.

To my knowledge text and talk are not metered.

A phone never has to be turned off....put it in airplane mode and still use your camera and alarms.

If I'm not worried about pinging off Canadian towers, do I even need to do that? Verizon charges $2 a day total for a 24 hour period in Canada. I'd thought I could just leave it on. If I don't actually accept Cellular at Sea from the iPhone it isn't going to connect to their network, right?

Just to update this thread with a more recent experience, I used my t-mobile Simple Choice North American Plan in June 2016 without trouble in Anchorage, Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan, Alaska .

Skagway throughput is known to be sketchy for most carriers, and t-mobile was no exception.

200 MB of data is available monthly for roaming (t-mobile roams in Alaska). Tethering works (hotspot from phone). This was a convenient option for using my chromebook while on ship at port.

To my knowledge text and talk are not metered.

Thank you for this update!

Was wondering if the TMO coverage map was true or not.

Does anyone know how the GPS map acquisiton (i.e. download the route before starting nav) is with TMO in Alaska?

Or do I have to load the local maps offline first?

Or do I need to get a standalone GPS?

We plan to do some self guided excursions via rental cars & was thinking about GPS usage.

You don't need GPS in Alaska. So few roads. It is easy to find your way around the port towns. Anchorage is pretty easy to get around, even for first-time visitors (basically north-south and east-west streets) and once you get outside Anchorage, there is one road north, one road south and one road east. Why use a GPS for three roads?!? :D

We plan to do some self guided excursions via rental cars & was thinking about GPS usage.

I prefer my standalone Garmin for the car. Quicker accuracy, voice recognition, windshield mount, 12v cord ready to go and built-in dashcam.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-DriveAssist-50-NA-LMT/dp/B01A1HL79E/ref=sr_1_1

When my Garmin is not handy.... I like Maps.Me for downloaded maps. Great on a cruise ship when I'm wondering where I am and I'm away from the information screens. Good for walking around town and I don't want to pay for roaming charges.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapswithme.maps.pro

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maps.me-offline-map-navigation/id510623322?mt=8

Thank you for this update!

Was wondering if the TMO coverage map was true or not.

Does anyone know how the GPS map acquisiton (i.e. download the route before starting nav) is with TMO in Alaska?

I've done it with all three ways: with paper maps, with Garmin, and with Google Maps on phone.

I prefer google maps on the phone with a paper backup, because it means one less device to carry. It comes in handy in port for walking navigation. Downloading a map for offline use is an excellent idea. I forgot to do it for Alaska, so the maps just loaded slower (and used t-mobile roaming data) but did do it in advance of a previous trip to Grand Cayman.

• 2 weeks later...
I was just there with Tmobile. It worked in all those ports as well as Vancouver and sailing in and out of Canada. I had no extra charges.

tinybiny - did you go far outside those Alaskan towns on any excursions whether self or guided?

Wondering if the signal is only good near town & that once you leave the town borders it to sketchy.

We're planning some self guided excursions & wanted to see if the smartphones are enough to guide us.

I prefer my standalone Garmin for the car. Quicker accuracy, voice recognition, windshield mount, 12v cord ready to go and built-in dashcam.

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-DriveAssist-50-NA-LMT/dp/B01A1HL79E/ref=sr_1_1

When my Garmin is not handy.... I like Maps.Me for downloaded maps. Great on a cruise ship when I'm wondering where I am and I'm away from the information screens. Good for walking around town and I don't want to pay for roaming charges.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mapswithme.maps.pro

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/maps.me-offline-map-navigation/id510623322?mt=8

Thakns for the tips about that app xlxo.

Downloaded offline maps is the best safety net when there is no data access to load the maps on the fly as most phones do.

Edited by OV8

Hi,

We're about to switch cell phone providers, and wondering if anyone has experience with T-Mobile coverage while in ports? Specifically Juneau, Ketchikan, and Sitka. :rolleyes:

And while I'm asking, do I understand correctly that we should TURN OFF our cell phones while on board ship to avoid ghastly charges? :eek:

Thanks for the help.

Sheri

Not that you asked, but T-Mobile said you can use it in Canada and Mexico as well w/ their plan for free - I'm thinking about switching over, and it's nice to hear what other people think :)