Baby monitors?

Twomalamutes

We are a group of 14 heading out on the crown princess. Most of our rooms are right next to each other with a couple across the hall. Wondering if anyone has taken a baby monitor with them. We are traveling with 2 year old twins. It would be nice at nap time to not have to sit directly in the room with them. The monitor(both video and sound) would allow us to visit out on the balcony or in a room next door. Has anyone used a monitor while cruising?

I agree the steel might interfere. Also I would make sure the monitor isn't wifi based.

We are going on a cruise with our 18 month old next month. It's just the 3 of us so our only "escape" during naptime is the balcony. We figure if he's in the pack n play he won't be able to get out but if he cries he's pretty vocal and we will be able to hear that and also do visual checks.

Do sound only monitors work in the same way with interference? Maybe you can pick up a cheap sound monitor and give that a try.

I either nap as well, read in bed, play ipad or hang out on the balcony, door open during naptime. I've never had an issue. Honestly when dd was still napping, I still napped.

Last cruise, I ended falling asleep early as well, (her sleep sucked at night on the cruise). on cruises before that, we'd let her stay up a bit and watch cartoons in bed (something we never do at home). Then I'd put her to bed.

Dh heads out and does whatever, On disney he'd catch a movie, on RCCL he took his laptop and worked.

I'd assume it'd work on the balcony, no issues since only glass to go through. Personally, I wouldn't (and haven't) bring the monitor, just open the balcony door a bit.

I agree the steel might interfere. Also I would make sure the monitor isn't wifi based.

We are going on a cruise with our 18 month old next month. It's just the 3 of us so our only "escape" during naptime is the balcony. We figure if he's in the pack n play he won't be able to get out but if he cries he's pretty vocal and we will be able to hear that and also do visual checks.

Do sound only monitors work in the same way with interference? Maybe you can pick up a cheap sound monitor and give that a try.

With the ship in motion (ie wind noise), my experience is that you won't be able to hear a child from the balcony. You won't be able to hear a monitor either, but most have vibration and visual indicators. With the door open you might hear the child, but that allows lots of noise into the cabin (including the parents voices.) We just checked on them every few minutes at that age.

I agree on the point of trying to find a cheap voice-only monitor, unless the video monitor has a mode where video can be shut off (or if losing video doesn't impact the sound.) A regular monitor should work one cabin over, but the video must require a much better signal. OTOH, it's possible that part of the extra price is invested in much better transmission capabilities.

With the ship in motion (ie wind noise), my experience is that you won't be able to hear a child from the balcony. You won't be able to hear a monitor either, but most have vibration and visual indicators. With the door open you might hear the child, but that allows lots of noise into the cabin (including the parents voices.) We just checked on them every few minutes at that age.

I agree on the point of trying to find a cheap voice-only monitor, unless the video monitor has a mode where video can be shut off (or if losing video doesn't impact the sound.) A regular monitor should work one cabin over, but the video must require a much better signal. OTOH, it's possible that part of the extra price is invested in much better transmission capabilities.

Good to know! We'll be parked at Bermuda for 3 days so shouldn't have an issue with wind/noise those days at least. I'm still not planning to bring a monitor I think we will be fine with visual checks on the days/nights the ship is at sea but every kid is different and OP has twins so I imagine needing to keep track of both is a much more challenging task than having just the one toddler :)

We have used baby monitors on our last cruise. We have 4 balcony cabins are next to each other. We had the adults in the outside cabins and the 2 middle cabins we put the kids in. At the time they were 4, 8, 8 and 13. We put monitors in each of their rooms and the respective parents had the speaker in their cabins. We were able to hear everything without any issue. It helped with dealing with the youngest needed me or my 8year old who is Type 1 Diabetic - there were times she needed assistance. It was also great to have when they got in to arguments and tried the "I didn't do it" defense, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

To be frank I think all the metal may be a problem, if your rooms are right next door it would probably work and from your room to the balcony I'd be surprised if it didn't work, but much further afield I would have little confidence.