Advice needed for Australian family's day in Helsinki

We will be in Helsinki on Wednesday 15th August 6:00am - 6:00pm. I am quite sure that we will get the value from the Helsinki card but am trying to best work out our timing for the day. I understand that it is best not to plan where we will actually dock as this apparantly can change at the last minute. Best to count on the worst scenario then and plan as though we will dock at the distant place. We actually get in to Helsinki at 6:00am after 2 hectic days in St Petersburg. Places do not seem to open until 10 or 11am. I thought that we might be best to start off at the market (not sure how much time to allow there.) I then plan to catch the ferry to Suomenlinna Island. My husband and son are huge military history buffs and so I think that we will take the guided tour and visit every museum there - the toy museum will give my daughter and I some light relief . LOL. With this in mind, could someone please advise what time we should plan to arrive and leave there? The visitors centre opens at 10:00am but I am unsure as to whether to arrive early for a general look around first. The Helsinki card includes a 1.5 hour audio tour which needs to be booked ahead of time. I would love advice please on what time I should book this tour and so that is why I need to know how much time to allow for a full inspection and tour of the island. (My husband loves to look closely at the detail of things.) I thought that it might be good to go to the Stadium Tower as well. My daughter would love the zoo. Do you think there would be any time left for this - or should we just go shopping. I know we'll sleep well at night.LOL. I look forward to your advice as always. Thank you.

Jennie:)

Hello Miss Jolly...

is there any place on the world you have not post any questions...

You must have already the knowledge of the whole forum.

We were lucky to berth directly at the Market Square.

So we started to have some nice food in one of the market stand. The fish specialities are absolutely great!!!

Later we took first the sightseeing tour in one of the boats. But use the yellow company as they can go through the smaller canals.

This was really a nice tour. Of course we went to Soumenlinna and enjoyed the time there.

A good way to move from one sight to the next is the tram no. 3. It's going like a "8". So you have a double loop to see somehow something from Helsinki. The letter is just to identify the proper direction. Once you started with 3T you should continue with 3T to make the complete 8.

If you like to shop: STOCKMANNs is the first class departement store. We mostly go to SOKOS which has sometimes very nice and affordable bargains.

Just opposite you'll find already some nice parks and museums.

Beside the fish: try Piroggen. It's a speciality from Karelia (a former Finnish part which is part of Russia today) - but so the Russian say that's of course Russian food. Anyhow Finnish or Russian: very nice!!!

If you eat some dessert and they ask if you like some "Sauce" - say no!!!

Last time they put some Finlandia as a sauce to some red berry dessert... I have never been so drunken before...

As the Finnish language is so complicated nobody is expecting you to know some Finnish. But anyhow "Kiitos" is Thank you - and as a foreigner you can always impress Finns by using this expression.

Did you like the "Leningrad Cowboys" (weird movie in the 80s)??? If yes: there is/was a weird restaurant in their style. No idea if it is still existing. Very nice to see - but never again. I cannot have so long their music until my dinner is finished... This was too much.

Have a great time in Helsinki!!!

I liked it!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

Hello HeinBloed,

is there any place on the world you have not posted any answers...LOL

Thank you for your help ...again. Is the yellow cnal boat part of the Helsinki Card "Sun Lines" that will cost us an extra 30 Euro for a family ticket? What exactly is Piroggen? Your tale of the red berry sauce has brought back some heavily buired memories of when I went to Finland 22 years ago - before I was married.LOL. I had forgotten all about it. You have a pretty good idea about how much Sean and Paul enjoy their military history by now so how long do you think we'll be at Soumenlinna. I want them to enjoy it (and us girls too) but want to know what time I should book the audio tour for. Sorry, I have not heard of that movie , nor has my "movie buff" husband. (you should see our DVD collection!)

Jennie

You have a pretty good idea about how much Sean and Paul enjoy their military history by now so how long do you think we'll be at Soumenlinna.

As it is mostly all outdoors it will be quite dependent on the weather. On a warm August day, you could spend all day on the island. As well as the fortifications there are nice cafes, a couple of restaurants and some beaches as well. Pick up some fruits and snacks from the market and you can have a great pic-nic there as well!

However, on a wet August day (yes it happens!) a couple of hours and you will be ready to take cover on your audio tour!

As it is mostly all outdoors it will be quite dependent on the weather. On a warm August day, you could spend all day on the island. As well as the fortifications there are nice cafes, a couple of restaurants and some beaches as well. Pick up some fruits and snacks from the market and you can have a great pic-nic there as well!

However, on a wet August day (yes it happens!) a couple of hours and you will be ready to take cover on your audio tour!

Thank you Tiggrrr. Should we use time wisely and get there early to look around before everything opens (if so, how early) or is there no point to this? Despite my husband's love of military history, I would like to also see other parts of Helsinki. How much time should I "allow" him to see it all?

Jennie

Wow - I just worked out a rough plan to see how we would go for timing and we are not going to fit much in apart from Markets, Suomelinna and the audio tour.

Our day would maybe go something like this:

8:00am – Markets

9 – 9:30ish Ferry to Suomelinna Fortress

10:00 – Visitor Centre

11:00 – Guided Tour of Suomelinna Fortress (1 hour)

12:00 - Museums:

• Suomelinna Museum & Experience with 25 minute wide screen show

• Ehrensvard Museum

• Toy Museum

• Manege – Military Museum

• Submarine Vesikko

3:00 – Audio Tour of City (1.5 hours)

4:30 – Free walking/shopping etc

Sorry HeinBloed. Unfortunately no time for the canal cruise. We would have like to go up the Stadium Tower but no time for that either. We have 12 hours in port but we are there for almost 4-5 hours before most things open.

We are in port 6:00am - 6:00pm. Have I been too generous in the allocation of time for the museums???I would value the thoughts on this rough plan from experienced cruises. Thank you.

Jennie

Is the yellow cnal boat part of the Helsinki Card "Sun Lines" that will cost us an extra 30 Euro for a family ticket?

Exactly - there is a green and a yellow line. And friends told us always to use the yellow line as there is a very narrow bridge - even you are not allowed to stand up while you are passing the bridge.

I remember now that the tour passed the zoo.

I would give your husband a day-off!!!

Go with your kids to the zoo (shuttle by boat from market square available).

Your husband cannot disappear if you buy him a single ticket only and do not give him any money: Soumenlinnen is an island. Beside he is a good swimmer you have a good control. Once you get over to pay him the return ticket you'll have him back... but there is also a 1st class restaurant on the island.

What exactly is Piroggen?

Do you know Wan-Ton-Soup from your Chinese Restaurant?

Or Ravioli from the Italians.

It's another dough so it's quite hard.

Filled with minced meat or cheese or mashed-potatoes...

Looks like a Danish but salty and harder.

We spend a half day in Soumenlinnen. Beside the inside - as already mentioned by other cruisers - it's nice to stay outside (if the weather permits...) and enjoy some of the Moskitos (very famous!!! - Do not buy any creams in Central Europe. For Finnish Moskitos they have the flavour "Dinner is served"!!! We were thought they were kitting us when they sold an equipement like in a Jungle...).

"Leningrad Cowboys" are good if

you are somehow drunken... or some other drugs...

it's already 2.30 am and your neighbours are already sleeping...

your TV set has an excellent volume regulation - as loud as possible...

you have great speakers...

a lot of friends in the same mood...

you are able to stay awake until 4.30 am in the mood...

you have a good door protection for the worst case that police is coming because of your neighbours...

and last not least you like "weird" - not straight music.

I watched the movie 6.30 am when I cannot sleep anymore and before my first coffee and breakfast. That's maybe why I disliked the restaurant.

(It's more weired than "Murielle's Wedding" but less weired than "Priscilla - Queen of the Dessert" - If you are fan of "The flying doctors" or "Neighbours" it will not be anything for you...).

Regards,

HeinBloed

HeinBloed can tease you all he wants but I read any thread you start. You ask good questions and always get good answers (including from HeinBloed). Even though my interests aren't the same as yours and even though I am not traveling with my children, your threads always give me something to think about for my own touring.

HeinBloed can tease you all he wants but I read any thread you start. You ask good questions and always get good answers (including from HeinBloed). Even though my interests aren't the same as yours and even though I am not traveling with my children, your threads always give me something to think about for my own touring.

Ohhh, I am blushing. Well at least I can tell my family who say I am addicted to cruise critic, that I now have international fan mail.LOL Seriously though, with all the help I have received, I am always glad to share my new information. Glad it helps others as well as my family.....and thanks for sticking up for me against HeinBloed. He is getting a bit cheeky. LOL again.

Jennie

Thank you Tiggrrr. Should we use time wisely and get there early to look around before everything opens (if so, how early) or is there no point to this? Despite my husband's love of military history, I would like to also see other parts of Helsinki. How much time should I "allow" him to see it all?

Jennie

Well the ferries to Suomenlinna run earlier than you will ever be there even arriving at 6am.

However, I think if this is possibly your one and only time in Helsinki then make time to see the other sites the city has to offer and cut down your time on Suomenlinna.

The Zoo could be fun for your kids to give them a break after St Petersburg and the boat ride there is quite interesting.

But then again the Sun lines sightseeing cruise is also highly recommended.

And again leave in some flexibility, if it is raining (i hope it isn't!) then you will want to alter your plans!

The HeinBloed special all-in-one-programme for Miss Jolly and her Family...

As already recommended...

take the Sun Lines tour...

Get a day pass for the tour and have your swimming suits with you...

Once you reach Suomenlinnen you jump out of the boat and swim to this place...

After 60, 120, 180 minutes you can join the next tour...

Start to excersise how the pirates enter a moving ship...

(Was not Australia founded by the Englishmen to arrest all pirates etc... you should have some of their heritage in your blood)...

Continue the tour on Sun Lines tour...

The next you do it again is at the Zoo!!!

And again after 60, 120, 180 minutes you can joint the next tour until you finish your complete tour.

You have your Sun Lines tour!

Your husband has his Military Museum!

Your kid has the Zoo.

Everybody should be happy!!!

Regards,

HeinBloed

N.B. If you forgot your swimming suit onboard of your cruise ship: Do not worry! Finns are very liberal!!! Due to their Sauna-culture you will not attrack other people's attention if you arrive undressed at Soumenlinnen. Just tell them that you come fresh from the Sauna. They will understand.

We will be in Helsinki on Wednesday 15th August 6:00am - 6:00pm. I am quite sure that we will get the value from the Helsinki card but am trying to best work out our timing for the day. I understand that it is best not to plan where we will actually dock as this apparantly can change at the last minute. Best to count on the worst scenario then and plan as though we will dock at the distant place. We actually get in to Helsinki at 6:00am after 2 hectic days in St Petersburg. Places do not seem to open until 10 or 11am. I thought that we might be best to start off at the market (not sure how much time to allow there.) I then plan to catch the ferry to Suomenlinna Island. My husband and son are huge military history buffs and so I think that we will take the guided tour and visit every museum there - the toy museum will give my daughter and I some light relief . LOL. With this in mind, could someone please advise what time we should plan to arrive and leave there? The visitors centre opens at 10:00am but I am unsure as to whether to arrive early for a general look around first. The Helsinki card includes a 1.5 hour audio tour which needs to be booked ahead of time. I would love advice please on what time I should book this tour and so that is why I need to know how much time to allow for a full inspection and tour of the island. (My husband loves to look closely at the detail of things.) I thought that it might be good to go to the Stadium Tower as well. My daughter would love the zoo. Do you think there would be any time left for this - or should we just go shopping. I know we'll sleep well at night.LOL. I look forward to your advice as always. Thank you.

Jennie:)

Click on this LINK

for some photos of Helsinki.

Wes

Just been having another look at our plans for Helsinki. How big is the zoo and does anyone know if it has different animals to what we would see? We are quite spoilt here in Sydney with our own beautiful Taronga Zoo which is right on Sydney Harbour. Don't want to miss out on other Helsinki sights for the zoo if we would be disappointed compared to our own zoo but I am also aware that it might be a welcome break for our children.

Jennie

Thank you Tiggrrr. With a name like that, of course you could help out here. LOL! This sight was very helpful. It looks like a great opportunity to see some different types of animals. Looks like we need to cut down our time at Suomelinna. Do you know if it would be worthwhile to arrive at Suomelinna early to look around before anything opens officially. We arrive in to Helsinki at 6:00am but nothing appears to open until 10 or 11.

Jennie

Hi everyone. Still wondering what time is the most practical and earliest we can arrive at Suomelinna to look around - maybe before it opens. We arrive in Helsinki early - well before most places open so thought that we could use some valuable time here before it opens. What do you think?

Jennie

Miss Jolly!!!

You are from Australia - i.e. from an island...

how does it work: you can swim to an island...

If you dislike to swim check the ferry schedule:

http://www.hel.fi/wps/wcm/resources/file/ebf0f106a82686b/AikatA5Kesa07.pdf

So you see the first ferry is going at 06.20 am!!!

If you check Soumenlinna's website at

http://www.suomenlinna.fi/index.php?menuid=11&lang=eng

you can see that the typical tourist attractions opens about 10 am - but the island is accessable and you can already visit the

Grocery store from 08.00 am

Kiosk/Post Office from 07.40 am.

So if you start to discover first the outdoor-sights and keep the indoor-sights for later the day you can save somehow some time.

Start with the excersises to swim if you want to be earlier than 06.35 am on Suomenlinna. Try first to swim to Tasmania... or New Zealand...

Regards,

HeinBloed

N.B. To identify you on 18.08.2007 in Berlin I should have a pic from you as well. Can confirm to be your guide.

Archived