Salande Albania- Suggestions for a DIY Day?

Unfortunately, there is not much to see in Sarande itself. It's not a very charming city -- lots of ugly new buildings, little tourism infrastructure, etc. I say unfortunately because Albania has some very pretty beaches (elsewhere) and countryside. Not really possible to see if you plan to DIY. English is not commonly spoken.

I recommend getting out of the city if you can. The ruins at Butrint are outstanding and also let you see a little of the countryside.

• 2 weeks later...
Unfortunately, there is not much to see in Sarande itself. It's not a very charming city -- lots of ugly new buildings, little tourism infrastructure, etc. I say unfortunately because Albania has some very pretty beaches (elsewhere) and countryside. Not really possible to see if you plan to DIY. English is not commonly spoken.

I recommend getting out of the city if you can. The ruins at Butrint are outstanding and also let you see a little of the countryside.

Thanks so much for your insight. Do you know if there is a public bus that would take you to Butrint or do we have to look for a tour or a rental car?

Avril

On my cruise stop there, the tour to Butrint was included. However, I just found this information (fairly current) that provides a bus schedule from Sarande to Butrint that you might find useful: http://www.sarandaweb.com/transportation/bus-coach/bus-timetable-saranda-butrint/

The website says the ride is 25 minutes, but I seem to recall it being a bit longer. When I was there (in 2014) they had just completed building a new road that connected Butrint with Sarande, prior to that I understand it was rough going!

On my cruise stop there, the tour to Butrint was included. However, I just found this information (fairly current) that provides a bus schedule from Sarande to Butrint that you might find useful: http://www.sarandaweb.com/transportation/bus-coach/bus-timetable-saranda-butrint/

The website says the ride is 25 minutes, but I seem to recall it being a bit longer. When I was there (in 2014) they had just completed building a new road that connected Butrint with Sarande, prior to that I understand it was rough going!

Thanks so much for all your info-both here and on all the other ports. Very grateful. We will probably try the bus on our day there. Another adventure!

Avril

Was just in Sarande last Tuesday on Cunard cruise. Most places took euro's, we ate at a restaurant on the waterfront and prices were displayed in Lek and Euro's. It was actually very busy and our tour guide said it was because many Albanians return from Greece for their holidays in August.

We took a ship organised tour to Butrint and it was really good, an amazing place. We were given a short overview by one of the archaeologists and it was fascinating. Our tour guide was really good too. The info leaflet they give you can pick up at the ticket office isn't very comprehensive but there are plenty of information boards dotted around.

We arrived at around 10am and it was quite quiet. By the time we left at 1pm there was quite a long queue to enter and the car park and road was really busy, virtually gridlocked as the road to and from Butrint is not very wide.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I've booked the tour below. Just post it on your cruise roll call. You'll soon fill it up.

We haven't gone yet but replies to emails have been prompt. Will post after the tour.

The tour would pick you up at the port with a driver and guide and take you on a 7 HOUR TOUR to:

1. Butrint (UNESCO World Heritage Site--one of the most remarkable archaeological sites in the Adriatic Sea region)

2. Castle of Lekursi (a castle sitting on top of the hill over Saranda built during the XVI--XV centuries by Sultan Suleymani)

3. Mesopotam Monastery (Dedicated to St. Nicholas, first recorded in 1081, but flourished in the 13th century)

4. Blue Eye (18 natural springs come out of the bottom of the earth and Blue Eye is a beautiful blue and turquoise color-- in a forest of hazelnuts, walnuts, cherries, pines, and fir trees)

The cost of this tour is very reasonable compared to the shorter and less comprehensive ship tours. The costs are:

6 -7 pax: 45 E/Per person

8 - 9 pax: 40 E/Per person

10 - 11 pax: 35 E/Per person

12 -13 pax: 30 E/Per person

14- 15 pax: 27 E/Per person

16 -17 pax: 25 E/Per person

18 - 19 pax: 22 E/Per person

20 - 29 pax: 20 E/Per person

Alma is the person to contact at Albania Express Travel if you are interested in joining this tour. No payment required until day of the tour.

Please contact her at:

info@albaniaexpresstravel.com

• 1 month later...
Hi, I've booked the tour below. Just post it on your cruise roll call. You'll soon fill it up.

We haven't gone yet but replies to emails have been prompt. Will post after the tour.

The tour would pick you up at the port with a driver and guide and take you on a 7 HOUR TOUR to:

1. Butrint (UNESCO World Heritage Site--one of the most remarkable archaeological sites in the Adriatic Sea region)

2. Castle of Lekursi (a castle sitting on top of the hill over Saranda built during the XVI--XV centuries by Sultan Suleymani)

3. Mesopotam Monastery (Dedicated to St. Nicholas, first recorded in 1081, but flourished in the 13th century)

4. Blue Eye (18 natural springs come out of the bottom of the earth and Blue Eye is a beautiful blue and turquoise color-- in a forest of hazelnuts, walnuts, cherries, pines, and fir trees)

The cost of this tour is very reasonable compared to the shorter and less comprehensive ship tours. The costs are:

6 -7 pax: 45 E/Per person

8 - 9 pax: 40 E/Per person

10 - 11 pax: 35 E/Per person

12 -13 pax: 30 E/Per person

14- 15 pax: 27 E/Per person

16 -17 pax: 25 E/Per person

18 - 19 pax: 22 E/Per person

20 - 29 pax: 20 E/Per person

Alma is the person to contact at Albania Express Travel if you are interested in joining this tour. No payment required until day of the tour.

Please contact her at:

info@albaniaexpresstravel.com

We did use this tour company

Sent from my iPad using ForumsWe did useis company or. Our tour in Sarande and we're very happy with the intent, the guide and the bus. Great day.

Guide was willing to adjust order of tour sites and happy to consult throughout the day. Had 25 on the tour so price was 20 euros plus admission to Butrint.

Edited by nightingalegirl