Dubrovnik Questions (new thread)

Host Bonjour

Since the most recent Dubrovnik general questions thread had reached almost 51 pages, it seemed like a good time to start with a fresh new thread to accommodate new questions and answers.

Hopefully this will save everyone some time when seeking commonly asked questions/answers on port stops in Dubrovnik: cafes, tours, sightseeing, transportation (mode, costs) or what to see, walkability, faves, etc.

Fairly recent experience (last 18 mos) tends to be the most reliable, helpful to our members so please keep this time frame in mind when you post in this thread.

The previous thread is still here as are the original posts. Per our community guidelines, please abstain from adding any unsubstantiated reviews to this thread. As always, your cruise reviews are very welcome here but we ask that you submit them to our cruise review forum.

Thank you for your enthusiastic participation in our forums!

Edited by Host Bonjour

• 3 weeks later...

We're in port from 9am-3pm next May - I realise this isn't much time, given we might not be able to disembark until a couple of hours after arriving, and all board time could be as early as 2pm.

Do we have enough time to walk the walls and explore some of the old town?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Lou :)

We're in port from 9am-3pm next May - I realise this isn't much time, given we might not be able to disembark until a couple of hours after arriving, and all board time could be as early as 2pm.

Do we have enough time to walk the walls and explore some of the old town?

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Your time is limited and you should make the most of it. Take a taxi from the port to Pile (pee-leh) gate entrance. Go up on the wall and walk the sea side which normally takes about one hour with some stops for photos. The half way point is Ploce (plo-cha) entrance, just after you pass the old harbor. From there you can enter the old part of town and enjoy some of our historical sites. Exploring the old town means getting off the main promenade, which we call the Stradun, and looking for some hidden gems. Enjoy your time here.

At the cruise port large signs state taxi fares to town for $13E each way, lots of taxis lined up, and about 5-10 minutes to old town.

You will need Kuna to walk the wall, they do not take Euros. I think they may take debit cards. This gives you plenty of time to walk the wall.

And outside the gates, again, taxis back to the cruise ship for $13E.

The ship was offering to load you onto a large bus for $15 per person, just easier and faster to take a taxi.

There is really no reason to think it will take "a couple of hours" to be able to disembark. We were in Dubrovnik in October and the ship was cleared right around are scheduled arrival time.

You should be ready to leave at 9am and you can reasonably plan to be in the old town by 10am.

Plenty of time to see the sites.

We took the cruise line shuttle (as did just about everyone else). Very organized with many buses lined up to take people to Pile Gate. If you leave with the "rush" the buses fill up immediately (like in 5 minutes) and you are on your way. We felt sorry for the local cab drivers since no one was using them.

Just find out the time of the "last shuttle back" and you will know your deadline for leaving town. Taking a private taxi means the risk of a traffic jam or problem of any kind back to the ship is on you. I would take the ship shuttle. It's easy and well run.

I would guess your last shuttle would leave from Pile Gate around 2pm. So you will likely have from 10-2 for exploring.

Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

Dubrovniktavelady

Our ship will be staying late, till 11 PM

We arrive in the AM hours and would like to do some sightseeing.

Our afternoon plan is to "walk" the walls and explore old town

Any suggestions for the AM hours and having lunch while "out" of the old city.

Also, would like suggestions for dinner, probably in the old city.

Thank you so much in advance for your reply

Dubrovniktavelady

Unfortunately as a local resident cruise credit does not permit me to give you any specific suggestions for restaurants. You will find more than a few choices and I can tell you to stay off the main promenade and hit the side streets for a better choice and prices.

Many historical sites inside the city wall, ride the cable car up to the top of Mt Srd for the best view, nice stop to rest and enjoy a drink. Please try to find our Rupe Museum, it is filled with our cultural history and a nice cool building to visit during high heat of the day. A short boat trip, 15 minutes, to the island of Lokrum for a swim or just a walk around the island is always a treat. You also have time to take the 45 minute boat trip to Cavtat, a very special town. Consider using the boat down and return by bus, Libertas #10 ends the trip at the Gruz harbor where I assume your ship is docked. You can research your interests by visiting our tourist bureau website, filled with good data. Enjoy your time here, I certainly do every day.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/lang/en/

Dubrovniktavelady

Taxis offer a tour for an hour (from memory) and they drop you off at the top of the hill. So you save the cablecar cost. So in effect you get the tour for free. We did this then got the cablecar down then walked the wall.

There is really no reason to think it will take "a couple of hours" to be able to disembark. We were in Dubrovnik in October and the ship was cleared right around are scheduled arrival time.

You should be ready to leave at 9am and you can reasonably plan to be in the old town by 10am.

Plenty of time to see the sites.

We took the cruise line shuttle (as did just about everyone else). Very organized with many buses lined up to take people to Pile Gate. If you leave with the "rush" the buses fill up immediately (like in 5 minutes) and you are on your way. We felt sorry for the local cab drivers since no one was using them.

Just find out the time of the "last shuttle back" and you will know your deadline for leaving town. Taking a private taxi means the risk of a traffic jam or problem of any kind back to the ship is on you. I would take the ship shuttle. It's easy and well run.

I would guess your last shuttle would leave from Pile Gate around 2pm. So you will likely have from 10-2 for exploring.

Enjoy!

Thank you so much! And to Dubrovniktravelady too, many thanks.

Our ship will be in Dubrovnik on May 21 which is a Sunday. Is anything open on a Sunday.....museums, shops, etc. Dubrovniktravelady? Walking the whole wall is out for us......too many steps. Would like to get to the top of Mt. Srd and also have a tour around Dubrovnik.

Sandy :)

Our ship will be in Dubrovnik on May 21 which is a Sunday. Is anything open on a Sunday.....museums, shops, etc. Dubrovniktravelady? Walking the whole wall is out for us......too many steps. Would like to get to the top of Mt. Srd and also have a tour around Dubrovnik.

All our historical sites will be open on Sunday. It is the beginning of high season and you will have no problems enjoying our town. The wall is not for everyone, I no longer go up and much rather enjoy the view from the top of Mt. Srd. Many companies offering tours, walking tours of the old town, drive tours which include Mt. Srd and also visits to Cavtat only 20 minutes south. Enjoy!

http://dumus.hr/en/plan-a-visit/hours-of-work/

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

All our historical sites will be open on Sunday. It is the beginning of high season and you will have no problems enjoying our town. The wall is not for everyone, I no longer go up and much rather enjoy the view from the top of Mt. Srd. Many companies offering tours, walking tours of the old town, drive tours which include Mt. Srd and also visits to Cavtat only 20 minutes south. Enjoy!

http://dumus.hr/en/plan-a-visit/hours-of-work/

Thank you for the link, Dubrovniktravelady. We are very much looking forward to exploring this wonderful port.

We are arriving in Dubrovnik in August for a day and a half, I'm quite a big game of thrones fan I know that this is the location of kings landing, are there tours available or that you recommended. I was thinking of doing this one day and then the more tourist things the second. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are arriving in Dubrovnik in August for a day and a half, I'm quite a big game of thrones fan I know that this is the location of kings landing, are there tours available or that you recommended. I was thinking of doing this one day and then the more tourist things the second. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can google Dubrovnik GOT tours and you will find many companies offerings. I doubt highly you will need to spend an entire day on such a tour, a few hours would be enough. Dubrovnik is a small town and the locations are not that spread out. Enjoy both days in our lovely location. Sorry I cannot recommend any specific tour company, as a local resident I am forbidden by the cruise critic rules.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

• 3 weeks later...
You can google Dubrovnik GOT tours and you will find many companies offerings. I doubt highly you will need to spend an entire day on such a tour, a few hours would be enough. Dubrovnik is a small town and the locations are not that spread out.

We are in port from 1pm to 7pm and would like to visit a sand beach for an hour or two. Is there one within reasonable distance by taxi from the port?

You can google Dubrovnik GOT tours and you will find many companies offerings. I doubt highly you will need to spend an entire day on such a tour, a few hours would be enough. Dubrovnik is a small town and the locations are not that spread out.

We are in port from 1pm to 7pm and would like to visit a sand beach for an hour or two. Is there one within reasonable distance by taxi from the port?

Simple answer is no, we just do not have sand beaches in Dubrovnik. You may want to spend your hour at our Banje beach, it is closest to the old part of town. This will give you an opportunity to enjoy our Adriatic sea and still have time to visit some of our sites.

http://www.banjebeach.com/

We will be in Dubrovnik for a day and a half in September. I'd like to have some Kuna for small purchases. Maybe $30 USD worth. How much should I get from the ATM?

Thanks in advance.

Since the exchange rate changes daily, what it will be in September is questionable. As of today, 200 Kuna is about $30.

• 3 weeks later...

From the London/UK Guardian today, they have this headline: "Dubrovnik is just as magical as when I visited aged 10" with this sub-head: "The old Croatian city, which inspired Annabelle Thorpe’s first novel, weathered the war of the 1990s and has emerged as glamorous as before".

Here are some more of their story highlights by this well-known writer: "Dubrovnik is as eternal as Venice. There are those who say it has become a victim of its own success – flooded with cruise ships and Game of Thrones fans. To me, this misses the point: at different times it has been Roman, Byzantine and Venetian; it’s withstood wars and sieges, and emerged as glamorous and unbowed as ever. Ridiculously beautiful but still real, it remains as magical to me now as when I first visited in 1981, aged 10."

This profile has a large number of nice pictures and a wide variety of options to consider for potential activities in and around charming Dubrovnik. Nice writing that builds the excitement for an upcoming visit and/or brings back nice memories from this wonderful part of the Croatian coast.

If you are seeking more visuals and items on Dubrovnik, check out tmy thread connected below. Below are just six of my favorite pictures from visiting this excellent location with so much history, architecture, excitement, etc.

Full story at:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/feb/17/dubrovnik-croatia-dalmatian-coast-novelist-annabelle-thorpe

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 34,954 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing their unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

This is Dubrovnik’s Pile Gate as the grand western entrance to the walled city. It was constructed in 1537. As you go through the gate, look for the statue of St. Blaise, the city's patron saint,. There is an inner gate, which is even older and was built in 1460. Entering the city this way, you see the surrounding fortifications hiding the buildings inside. There is a drawbridge fronting the Pile Gate that was once lifted each evening. From this location, you can get a cab that will take you back to the port and your ship. Sharing the cab, makes it nice and affordable.:

DubPileGate2Enter.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

This is the Stradun or Placa, a 300 meter-long, limestone-paved, pedestrian main shopping street of Dubrovnik. Here is the view as it stretches through the walled town in the east-west direction, connecting the western entrance called the Pile Gate to the Ploce Gate on the eastern end. Stradun became the city's main thoroughfare in the 13th century and its current appearance was mostly created following the 1667 earthquake which destroyed most of the buildings. Both ends are also marked with 15th-century fountains (Onofrio's Large Fountain in the western section and Onofrio's Small Fountain on the east end. There are also bell towers (the Dubrovnik Bell Tower to the west end and the bell tower attached to the Franciscan monastery to the east). The buildings along this way all have shutter painted in the same color. The Stradun and some of the surrounding houses were damaged in mortar shelling during the Siege of Dubrovnik in 1991–92 but most of the damage has been repaired. When you look at the tile roofs, you can see the difference between the older and newer based on that battle damage. Don’t miss walking the wall in this great town.

3DubrMainStreet2Tower.jpg

For our lunch at Komarda restaurant, here is the view from our table. Could you ask for a better location on a perfect weather day? It is about 1000 feet just east of the Ploce gate. You can go to this website in order to see lots more about

http://komarda.hr/index.php?lang=en:

2DubrDiningTableView.jpg

Dubrovniktravelady.....Can you please walk me through the steps to take to walk the wall? I need to know how much it costs, and how/where we get the Kuna to pay. We were there several years ago(using your wonderfully helpful suggestions) but I do not remember paying to get on the Wall. We dont mind paying, we just need help figuring out how to do it.

Thanks....Doug

• 4 weeks later...
From the London/UK Guardian today, they have this headline: "Dubrovnik is just as magical as when I visited aged 10" with this sub-head: "The old Croatian city, which inspired Annabelle Thorpe’s first novel, weathered the war of the 1990s and has emerged as glamorous as before".

Here are some more of their story highlights by this well-known writer: "Dubrovnik is as eternal as Venice. There are those who say it has become a victim of its own success – flooded with cruise ships and Game of Thrones fans. To me, this misses the point: at different times it has been Roman, Byzantine and Venetian; it’s withstood wars and sieges, and emerged as glamorous and unbowed as ever. Ridiculously beautiful but still real, it remains as magical to me now as when I first visited in 1981, aged 10."

This profile has a large number of nice pictures and a wide variety of options to consider for potential activities in and around charming Dubrovnik. Nice writing that builds the excitement for an upcoming visit and/or brings back nice memories from this wonderful part of the Croatian coast.

If you are seeking more visuals and items on Dubrovnik, check out tmy thread connected below. Below are just six of my favorite pictures from visiting this excellent location with so much history, architecture, excitement, etc.

Full story at:

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/feb/17/dubrovnik-croatia-dalmatian-coast-novelist-annabelle-thorpe

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples/examples at this link. Have had over 34,954 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and dropped by.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

We started in Dubrovnik with a local cab driver who gave us a “panoramic tour”, including crossing their unique bridge near the main cruise ship docking area. He called this bridge their “Golden Gate” like in San Francisco. It is nine years old. Then we drove up and up through narrow twisting roads to the high point overlooking Dubrovnik and near the cable car high station. From this point, we could also see part of Bosnia and and Montenegro. The “super star” view was down below with this angle of the harbor and walled city. Beautiful!!!:

2DubrOverallHighViewOne.jpg

Here is the view of the Cable Car going down from the high point over Dubrovnik with interesting areas and islands west of the city shown. This cable car has been re-built since the early 1990’s war years. It’s a dramatic coastline with great views here!:

4DubrCableCarWaterIslands.jpg

This is Dubrovnik’s Pile Gate as the grand western entrance to the walled city. It was constructed in 1537. As you go through the gate, look for the statue of St. Blaise, the city's patron saint,. There is an inner gate, which is even older and was built in 1460. Entering the city this way, you see the surrounding fortifications hiding the buildings inside. There is a drawbridge fronting the Pile Gate that was once lifted each evening. From this location, you can get a cab that will take you back to the port and your ship. Sharing the cab, makes it nice and affordable.:

DubPileGate2Enter.jpg

This is a view of the historic Dubrovnik wall at an upward and outward point built on top of the rocks and where it overlooks the Adriatic Sea. Walking this wall is a wonderful and unique way to sample and see up close and personal what makes this city so special.:

DubrovWallWaterViews.jpg

This is the Stradun or Placa, a 300 meter-long, limestone-paved, pedestrian main shopping street of Dubrovnik. Here is the view as it stretches through the walled town in the east-west direction, connecting the western entrance called the Pile Gate to the Ploce Gate on the eastern end. Stradun became the city's main thoroughfare in the 13th century and its current appearance was mostly created following the 1667 earthquake which destroyed most of the buildings. Both ends are also marked with 15th-century fountains (Onofrio's Large Fountain in the western section and Onofrio's Small Fountain on the east end. There are also bell towers (the Dubrovnik Bell Tower to the west end and the bell tower attached to the Franciscan monastery to the east). The buildings along this way all have shutter painted in the same color. The Stradun and some of the surrounding houses were damaged in mortar shelling during the Siege of Dubrovnik in 1991–92 but most of the damage has been repaired. When you look at the tile roofs, you can see the difference between the older and newer based on that battle damage. Don’t miss walking the wall in this great town.

3DubrMainStreet2Tower.jpg

For our lunch at Komarda restaurant, here is the view from our table. Could you ask for a better location on a perfect weather day? It is about 1000 feet just east of the Ploce gate. You can go to this website in order to see lots more about

http://komarda.hr/index.php?lang=en:

2DubrDiningTableView.jpg

Great pics!