Istanbul hotels?

SPacificbound

Of course, it depends on what part of town you want to be in and how much you want to spend, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of the hotels in the Sirkeci Group. They're in the historic district, so it's easy to walk to most places visitors want to see and close to the metro for everything else. A really excellent breakfast is include, as is airport pickup and, at least at the Mansion, a very nice dinner. The staff has always been very kind and helpful, too. The first time I went to Istanbul, I had reservations at the Sirkeci Mansion, but they were overbooked, and only had a much larger 'family' room available, rather than the single I'd booked. They gave me the option of that room at the single price, although there was a family who'd booked later than I waiting for it, or a move to the newer, more expensive Neorion at no charge. I thought they meant no additional charge and after we walked over to the hotel, I asked for clarification when they told me 'no charge' again. They meant NO charge! I paid only taxes for my 10 day stay. That was typical of most of the Turks I've met and one of the reasons I feel in love with Istanbul and its people. I'm really jealous and hope you have a wonderful time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Of course, it depends on what part of town you want to be in and how much you want to spend, but I wouldn't hesitate to recommend any of the hotels in the Sirkeci Group. They're in the historic district, so it's easy to walk to most places visitors want to see and close to the metro for everything else. A really excellent breakfast is include, as is airport pickup and, at least at the Mansion, a very nice dinner. The staff has always been very kind and helpful, too. The first time I went to Istanbul, I had reservations at the Sirkeci Mansion, but they were overbooked, and only had a much larger 'family' room available, rather than the single I'd booked. They gave me the option of that room at the single price, although there was a family who'd booked later than I waiting for it, or a move to the newer, more expensive Neorion at no charge. I thought they meant no additional charge and after we walked over to the hotel, I asked for clarification when they told me 'no charge' again. They meant NO charge! I paid only taxes for my 10 day stay. That was typical of most of the Turks I've met and one of the reasons I feel in love with Istanbul and its people. I'm really jealous and hope you have a wonderful time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much for this information. I have never been anywhere in Turkey but a ship stop in Ephesus. I am really looking forward to spending some time in Istanbul.

I prefer hotels with some local character and ones that are located in the heart of whatever city I"m visiting. In Istanbul I prefer Sultanahmet area (e.g., near Haghia Sofia, Blue Mosque) to the more modern Taksim area -- these are two main areas for hotels.

I agree the Sirkeci Konak (same as Sirkeci Mansion) is a very nice hotel; I've recommended it several times to others and gotten happy feedback.

If you want something more budget-friendly, I have also enjoyed staying in the Osmanhan hotel -- it is run like more like a friendly inn or B&B and is extremely well located. Excellent rooftop breakfast. Warning -- no elevator!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d1181320-Reviews-Osmanhan_Hotel-Istanbul.html

I prefer hotels with some local character and ones that are located in the heart of whatever city I"m visiting. In Istanbul I prefer Sultanahmet area (e.g., near Haghia Sofia, Blue Mosque) to the more modern Taksim area -- these are two main areas for hotels.

I agree the Sirkeci Konak (same as Sirkeci Mansion) is a very nice hotel; I've recommended it several times to others and gotten happy feedback.

If you want something more budget-friendly, I have also enjoyed staying in the Osmanhan hotel -- it is run like more like a friendly inn or B&B and is extremely well located. Excellent rooftop breakfast. Warning -- no elevator!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g293974-d1181320-Reviews-Osmanhan_Hotel-Istanbul.html

Thank you for the additional information on hotels. I need to look at a map of areas withing the city center.

We don't mind paying for a good hotel wherever we are. I'm not able to do stairs so elevator is necessary.

Thank you. :)

After events today, surely nobody will be going to Istanbul in the near future. This is cruise critic , nearly all have pulled out of Turkey and Istanbul is now off the itinerary, worth avoiding at present.

I had the same question because I know most, if not all, itineraries have been changed.

But what happened today? I can't find any information.

• 1 month later...