Zadar excursions

We will be in Zadar from 10am-6pm in August. We are very much interested in getting into the National Parks. Does anyone have a recommendation for which park to select or a private company to use? I have hit a dead end and might actually resort to the 1/2 day tour the cruise ship offers.

Thank you in advance for any input to get us pointed in the right direction,

Edited by BermudaBound2014

We will also be in Zadar in August and I have booked a tour to Krka National Park through Romeo and Juliet Travel. They sent me an e-mail and said they would meet us just off the ship. I agree that Zadar seems to have very few choices.

It really boils down to 2 parks, Krka or Plitvice. Krka is closer and we found it to be fabulous. You could hire a car and drive there and then drive a few miles north of Zadar to the beautiful island town of Nin. If you would rather not drive, there are several companies offering tours. How you access them before you go, l'm not sure. There is a very useful thread on Tripadvisor on Zadar that might help.

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowForum-g294453-i1554-Croatia.html

Edited by CruiseIreland

We will be in Zadar from 10am-6pm in August. We are very much interested in getting into the National Parks. Does anyone have a recommendation for which park to select or a private company to use? I have hit a dead end and might actually resort to the 1/2 day tour the cruise ship offers.

Thank you in advance for any input to get us pointed in the right direction,

We're in Zadar late Aug. booked a private tour for 2 via Zadar Guided Tours (http://www.zadarguidedtours.com/) visiting Krka NP via Skradin (in to the park via boat), then back for a walking tour of Zadar ... Lunch, NP fees included. €90 p/p. P/up from the dock at 0930; dropped back 1630.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all :). I've looked at the links to Romeo and Juliet and zadarguidedtours and notice both list tours leaving at 8 am. The Rhapsody doesn't get into Zadar until 10 a.m. Did you arrange something special coming from the cruise ship or is your cruise ship arriving earlier?

Thank you all :). I've looked at the links to Romeo and Juliet and zadarguidedtours and notice both list tours leaving at 8 am. The Rhapsody doesn't get into Zadar until 10 a.m. Did you arrange something special coming from the cruise ship or is your cruise ship arriving earlier?

We emailed Zadar Guided Tours with our arr/dep cruise ship times, what we'd like to do (Krka NP & Zadar City Walk) and they came back with what they can do/price etc. our tour is just the 2 of us, guide & driver

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Lots of useful info on Zadar here. https://www.tripadvisor.ie/ShowForum-g295374-i10777-Zadar_Zadar_County_Dalmatia.html

Our trip report from 2015 is near the top at the moment. Zadar is a lovely town. It is no Dubrovnik but very charming and interesting.

Edited by CruiseIreland

While I didn't take the walking tour mentioned by the original poster, our cruise stop in Zadar did include a half-day walking tour. The port is very near the town, which is small in scale -- seems like we saw quite a bit. Included visits to St. Donatus church (well worth it), and the Museum of Religious Art inside a Benedictine convent plus one other church that I can't remember at the moment. We also strolled by the remains of the Roman forum and looked at the Sea Gate with its Venetian lion.

The tour left us at a central point where the guide recommended a well-known local ice-cream parlor, which I of course had to try:https://www.facebook.com/donat78/ Delicious!

After that I walked over to the local Archaeological Museum on my own to look at their Roman collection. Then I walked back to the ship. Later I heard the famous Sea Organ near the pier where our ship was docked.

Anyone looking for a unique souvenir of Zadar should consider their famous local liqueur Maraschino: http://www.zadar.travel/en/lifestyle/souvenirs/09-07-2007/maraschino#.WAGxI5MrLVo

A tip: If you plan on entering any churches you should definitely not wear shorts or sleeveless tops; they were quite strict regarding appropriate dress -- one unfortunate girl on our tour did not pay attention to the ship's warning about appropriate dress and could not get in.

We're in Zadar late Aug. booked a private tour for 2 via Zadar Guided Tours (http://www.zadarguidedtours.com/) visiting Krka NP via Skradin (in to the park via boat), then back for a walking tour of Zadar ... Lunch, NP fees included. €90 p/p. P/up from the dock at 0930; dropped back 1630.

We will be in Zadar in a couple of weeks, not many private tour guide options, did you use Zadar guided tours and if so which tour did you take and were you happy with them. I appreciate any and all information

Wendy

We will be in Zadar in a couple of weeks, not many private tour guide options, did you use Zadar guided tours and if so which tour did you take and were you happy with them. I appreciate any and all information

Wendy

We used Zadar Guided Tours and were very happy with the tour. Zadar to Skradin by car then boat in to Krka NP. Guided walk around the park. Really beautiful place to visit. Packed lunch included. Return to Skradin by boat & back to Zadar for a quick tour of that town. They will modify Tours to what you want to do. We conversed by email of their FB page.

We used Zadar Guided Tours and were very happy with the tour. Zadar to Skradin by car then boat in to Krka NP. Guided walk around the park. Really beautiful place to visit. Packed lunch included. Return to Skradin by boat & back to Zadar for a quick tour of that town. They will modify Tours to what you want to do. We conversed by email of their FB page.

We contacted them and they have been amazing, thank you for the recommendation.

We are, we booked Mont traveler, who did you Use?

Wendy

In Kotor we used Adventure Montenegro (we're in our 60s but the name sounded exciting!) ... were there for 12+ hrs so did a 9 hr+ tour - up to the top of Mt Lovcen 1st ... scary road but magnificent views over Kotor Bay & once you get to the top of Mt Lovcen, theres quite a few steps up to the Mausoleum & bigger views; then back to Perast (had late lunch here) & Our Lady Of The Rocks tour followed by Kotor walking tour.

In Koper we used Istranka ... visited the Postojna Caves 1st up then on to Predjama Castle. Maybe 6-7 hrs duration. Both tours around 90 euros p/p. Both included entrance fees etc.

All 3 tour guides were absolutely brilliant & all were ready for us on docking & dropped us back with plenty of time to spare. No rushing at all.

Michael

• 1 month later...
Can anyone please recommend a private tour guide in Zadar we did not want to do it on our own.

Thank you

Wendy

Our family group of 8 pax used Romeo and Juliet Travel Agency. We selected the Plitvice Lakes National Park tour at 75 Euro pp, which included a boat tour and a packed lunch. Ivan was our tour guide and he is excellent. At the end of our Plitvice Lakes tour, Ivan added a quick city tour of the Zadar walled city as well as a visit to the Greeting to the Sun and the Sea Organ. We had an enjoyable time with Ivan. From initial contact to finalizing our tour, our email inquires were responded to promptly by Terezija. We would definitely recommend Romeo and Juliet Travel Agency for your Zadar day tour. http://www.romeoandjuliet.hr/