Are all the beaches in Port Vila public or some private ?

6666oz

Hi All

does anybody know if the beaches around Port Vila and Vanuatu in General

are all public or are some of them private.

Thanks

Some of the beaches are owned by the traditional owners.

Port Vila beaches aren't in the same league as Fiji for example.

I was on a jet ski tour and was told not to stop at certain beaches....they are owned by local tribe I was told....this is near cruise port.

Hi All

Thanks

In the islands virtually all beach or land is traditionally owned and private. In Vanuatu all land for resorts, etc are leased from the traditional owners.

That said, I haven't seen or heard of any beaches around Port Vila worth visiting.

In the islands virtually all beach or land is traditionally owned and private. In Vanuatu all land for resorts, etc are leased from the traditional owners.

That said, I haven't seen or heard of any beaches around Port Vila worth visiting.

YEP NONE WORTH GOING TO IN BRISBANE :rolleyes:

Hi All

Thanks

Yesterday we walked from the ship through the bus tours gate ,stern of the ship (back ) past the ferrys and barges and slip way . Big red sign "cheap beer " there is a beer garden au $4 Tuskers . On a tree a sign says Cruise ship welcome , we walked along the sand and found a tree went for a swim . All Vanuatu owned by Traditional owners and some 99 year lease . :)

Thanks for the info, I was planning to walk to Mele bay only about 1k from ship and have a swim off the beach there but this "traditional owners " catch, probably puts a stop to that, pity as google earth shows it as a nice beach, I wonder if you would be chased off ? also wonder how you get permission from "traditional owners", seems like some nice beaches going to waste, with so many tourists looking for nice beaches.

Thanks for the info, I was planning to walk to Mele bay only about 1k from ship and have a swim off the beach there but this "traditional owners " catch, probably puts a stop to that, pity as google earth shows it as a nice beach, I wonder if you would be chased off ? also wonder how you get permission from "traditional owners", seems like some nice beaches going to waste, with so many tourists looking for nice beaches.

Irrikki Resort do day passes.....you spend X amount to get entry and get a credit off your food & drinks bill from entry fee.

Can only tell you our experience... we walked from the ship to the beach nearby, there is a sign that welcomes people from the ship only, there is a bar there that says cold beer, when we asked the girl behind the bar how come no one comes here she said they had not advertised it as yet but they would be. When we walked past some men having a break from work they said are you going for a walk, we said yes and they said enjoy. Sorry no traditional owners with spears and headdress, no poison darts - just some nice people and a lovely swim and cold beer. Probably next time we go we wont get a seat at the bar because the words out!!! :eek: Plenty of resorts you can pay a nominal fee and enjoy the privilege. Peter and Jodie