Kotor: June Experience, Visuals, Fun, History, etc.

TLCOhio

We visited Kotor June 13 and it was our lucky day. We had super great weather in Kotor. There was a little rain as we were sailing out, but otherwise it was totally perfect and wonderful. Mid 70’s, nice breeze, lots of sun. We did the Montenegro Highlights with Cuisine tour through our Celebrity Solstice ship, KV33, 7 hours, $76.75. It was a busy, full day. We departed from Kotor, after a short tender ride to the dock, on a scenic drive (approximately 70 minutes) towards the mountain village of Njegusi. We had a spectacular panoramic view of the Bay of Kotor, rated by many as the pearl of the Adriatic.

There was a short coffee-drink-bathroom break in a local restaurant with handy local crafts before driving through the Montenegrin karsts formations of the Lovcen Mountain en route to the Old Royal Capital of Cetinje. This was once the smallest capital in Europe and one-time center of Montenegrin rule.* Those rulers had many interesting connections to the Russian Czars. It is now a museum town and we visited the museum of the King Nikola Palace that had many interesting items. These it was to a lunch with national foods (very good!!) at a location just outside of the town.

We had another great photo stop route to Budva, with spectacular views of the Adriatic Sea. Budva is the oldest settlement on the coast, 2500 years old. The old town is surrounded by ramparts from the XV century including a medieval fortification system with city gates, defense walls and towers. Inside the walls, the town is a combination of narrow streets and squares with interesting churches, etc. Today, Budva and nearby are booming and growing tourism destinations with theatre, festivals and celebrations options. We then headed back to Kotor for a walk-through of the UNESCO protected Old town of Kotor before returning to the ship. Free time and shopping potentials were limited. That’s fine in my book. I took about 400 plus pictures and you will see later how wonderful were the great views. The drive to the village of Njegusi is along a road with twenty-five hairpin turns.* Glad I wan’t doing the driving here. During this day, the Music Director for the ship was along. It was interesting talking with him during our day. He’s been with Celebrity for seventeen years, leads the orchestra, plays the piano and supervises 38 musicians on the ship. The music is great on the ship and we found out that the trombone plays with the orchestra played with Doc and the Johnny Carson band for some of the Tonight Show years.

We would have loved to have more time in Budva and Kotor, but it all worked. We know more about this scenic area and maybe there can be a visit back with more time to hang out, chill out and explore more in this great area with so many interesting options in the area.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 16,386 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,345 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

For Kotor, I got up at 5 am for the sail-in through their wonderfully scenic fjords, etc. Below is one picture from the front of the ship on that early path through these narrow areas to reach Kotor as the sun is rising. We tendered at 7 am in their harbor. It was a short, easy tender to arrive on land for our bus tour.:

KotorSailInSunriseWatching.jpg

Here’s our bus driver going to up, back and forth, through twenty-five serpentine twists and turns to rise up the 4000’ high mountain above Kotor. :

KotorBusDriverHarbor.jpg

Here is one view in the Old Royal Capital of Cetinje with its various buildings connected to when it was the smallest capital of a Europe nation.:

KotorCapitalStoneBldgs.jpg

We toured the various rooms in the old residence for the King of Montenegro and there were many interesting items, including connections with the Russian Czars.:

KotorCapitalRoomInterior1.jpg

We then when to Budva, a 2,500 year-old-fortress that is now in the heart of a resort area. This is the overview of walled coastal town and how it projects out into the sea. Lots of fancy private ships docked here in their harbor. :

BudvaTownShoreOverview.jpg

This is one of the stone towers in Budva.:

BudvaTowerStoneVeniceLion.jpg

• Like 2

Here are six more of my visuals from Kotor and nearby. Can share more, if there's interest. Great and charming area. Definitely well worth a cruise ship visit . . . or, more!

As you sail in and out of Kotor, you see these two island with church built on them. These are not natural island, but built up there over the years. Spectacular sighting.:

2KotorTwoIslandSailIn.jpg

In Budva, here are some of the church designs. :

BudvaChurchDesignArt.jpg

This shows Kotor’s wall fortifications and the mountain areas above the town.:

KotorWallMountains.jpg

This is the walled gate as we entered Kotor to see in various historic buildings, many churches and shops. YES, they have lots of shops, whether needed or not!!:

KotorMainEntrancePalms.jpg

In Kotor, this is a stone balcony for an older building with the flowers hanging over.:

KotorBalconyFlowers.jpg

From high above Kotor, this is the view of the fjord bay with the Solstice in prime position to soak up the spectacular sun on our visiting day there.:

KotorHarborViewSolstice.jpg

• Like 2

Fabulous pictures! Hoping to go next year. Is is possible to provide some simple instructions on how to post the pictures to the forum in the way you have done? I would love to be able to do that in future.

they helped convice me to take Norway cruise,,which I loved....

Have been to Kotor,,but these brought back great memories,,,yes, we only had 1 day on SeaDream cruise too...but it was so scenic,,,just loved the Adriatic,,,we stayed 3 extra days in Dubrovnik....and enjoyed every one....now if you had just gone to Black Sea,,that s they latest "bucket list"item I m researching...

Have AMA river boat in June from Prague to Budapest,,Caribbean this Dec. on Regent,,,but theres always 2013 to book...haha,,,this cruising business is addictive,,lucky hubby still working to PAY FOR THEM....as he always reminds me....:D

Fabulous pictures! Hoping to go next year. Is is possible to provide some simple instructions on how to post the pictures to the forum in the way you have done? I would love to be able to do that in future.

alexandra cruiser: Terry' date=' thanks again,,always love you blog and pics. they helped convice me to take Norway cruise,,which I loved.... Have been to Kotor,,but these brought back great memories,,,yes, we only had 1 day on SeaDream cruise too...but it was so scenic,,,just loved the Adriatic,,,we stayed 3 extra days in Dubrovnik....and enjoyed every one....now if you had just gone to Black Sea,,that s they latest "bucket list"item I m researching... Have AMA river boat in June from Prague to Budapest,,Caribbean this Dec. on Regent,,,but theres always 2013 to book...haha,,,this cruising business is addictive,,lucky hubby still working to PAY FOR THEM....as he always reminds me [/quote']

banditoo: As always awesome pictures Terry! Thanks for sharing...

Dunmore2: Beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Appreciate all of the nice and kind comments. Give credit to Kotor and God for making such a super scenic coastal areas that enable great pictures.

For Betty' date=' below is some info on posting larger pictures to these posts. Let me know any added question for "how to" and/or if it works for you.

[b']Glad to know that things for Alexandra worked well in the Norway areas.[/b] Good luck on the river boat cruise. Love Prague, Budapest, etc. Yes, cruising can be addictive. Do want to see some of the areas on the Black Sea, but it's not on our more immediate "wish list". New Zealand and Australia are on that listing for us.

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 17,489 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,580 views.

Appreciate those who have “tuned in” for these two posts. Don’t be shy and feel free to comment and/or ask any questions of interest.

For posting larger photos to these boards . . . .

your FIRST STEP is pick an outside web source that will store or “host” your pictures to be posted. Cruise Critic does not have the space to do larger pictures on their site. You can check such places as photobucket.com, imageshack.com, photoshow.com, flickr.com, picasa.google.com etc. I’ve used photobucket.com and have been pleased with how they upload, etc. SECOND, you need to make an export of your picture in a size such as around 1000 pixel wide by about 700 to your desktop of your computer. That’s the approximate size that I use for this purpose. If you make your file too big for posting, then it slows the process and takes long to upload, etc. THIRD, you use this outside web host to which you upload these different pictures sitting on your desktop. FOURTH, after uploading each picture, you will make a copy of that imbedded address in your file for future posting purposes. It will have have the square parentheses or bracket symbols before and after the capital letter IMG at the start and end of this location on your photo storage site.

Then as you want to post each different picture, you would, FIFTH STEP, copy and paste that imbedded address file for each picture as a part of your message on the CC Boards. In my files, I also have brief written description of each picture and have them grouped by the different city or country locations. With this imbedded file address, the reader on these boards doesn’t have to check on anything or paste to their web browser. It just pops up showing the picture. Does this help? Let us know how it works out and/or any added questions. It will hopefully pop up as these couple of pictures do below. You can preview your post to see if it's working OK before doing the actual post to these CC boards.

Edited by TLCOhio

We had another great photo stop route to Budva, with spectacular views of the Adriatic Sea. Budva is the oldest settlement on the coast, 2500 years old. The old town is surrounded by ramparts from the XV century including a medieval fortification system with city gates, defense walls and towers. Inside the walls, the town is a combination of narrow streets and squares with interesting churches, etc. Today, Budva and nearby are booming and growing tourism destinations with theatre, festivals and celebrations options. We then headed back to Kotor for a walk-through of the UNESCO protected Old town of Kotor before returning to the ship. Free time and shopping potentials were limited. That’s fine in my book. I took about 400 plus pictures and you will see later how wonderful were the great views. The drive to the village of Njegusi is along a road with twenty-five hairpin turns.* Glad I wan’t doing the driving here.

Terry, thank you for the review! I am going to be on Solstice in November for the same cruise. I was also considering the same Celebrity tour while in Kotor. I have a quick question... While in Budva, did the tour make a stop by the Dancing Girl Statue on the waterfront?

Thank you!

Sasha

Terry, thank you for the review! I am going to be on Solstice in November for the same cruise. I was also considering the same Celebrity tour while in Kotor. I have a quick question... While in Budva, did the tour make a stop by the Dancing Girl Statue on the waterfront? Thank you! Sasha

Hi, Sasha! I didn't remember that statute, specifically, so I check more. That interesting piece of art is located somewhat west of the main, historic town and that wasn't on the walking path that we took. Sorry, doesn't seem you would see it on this tour. To be honest, our time in Budva was fairly limited and rushed. I would have trimmed out some earlier stops/timing to have allow more time in both Budva and Kotor. Overall, I'm still glad we did this tour and it was a good value for the cost.

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 18,614 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 45,928 views.

Hi, Sasha! I didn't remember that statute, specifically, so I check more. That interesting piece of art is located somewhat west of the main, historic town and that wasn't on the walking path that we took. Sorry, doesn't seem you would see it on this tour. To be honest, our time in Budva was fairly limited and rushed. I would have trimmed out some earlier stops/timing to have allow more time in both Budva and Kotor. Overall, I'm still glad we did this tour and it was a good value for the cost.

Thanks for your response, Terry! I am reading through your review of the Solstice Cruise right now, and I have to say that your pictures are just amazing! Thank you so much for sharing them! Your review definitely makes me look forward to my November cruise even more!

Sasha :)

Thanks for your response, Terry! I am reading through your review of the Solstice Cruise right now, and I have to say that your pictures are just amazing! Thank you so much for sharing them! Your review definitely makes me look forward to my November cruise even more! Sasha :)

Appreciate the added kind comments from Sasha on our cruise. Good luck on your November adventure. Hope things go well. Let us know any added questions or comments. That advance preparation and research helps as you plan and consider your many options.

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 19,801 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2011, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now over 46,194 views.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for a great report and Pictures Terry, I am visiting Kotor on a Azamara Club Cruise on the 15th Aug 2011 and will now check if they do that tour as i am a very keen armature photographer and your photos have inspired me.

Thanks for a great report and Pictures Terry, I am visiting Kotor on a Azamara Club Cruise on the 15th Aug 2011 and will now check if they do that tour as i am a very keen armature photographer and your photos have inspired me.

NancyIL: Wonderful photos as always' date=' Terry! We will be in Kotor next May on Celebrity Silhouette, and your ship excursion sounds great! [/quote']

Appreciate the kind comments. Don't miss the early sail-in for Kotor. That's a super treat! Enjoy your upcoming visits to Kotor and other great ports. Check back in later and let us know how things worked out, what you saw and did, etc. Will try to post some more of the visual highlights from our visit to Kotor and the nearby areas.

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 25,312 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Hi Terry just booked the same tour with Azamara was yours a 5hr 45min or the 7Hr tour?.... both have same details so i went for the 5Hr one.

Our tour in June was a seven hour version. Our tour cost $76.75. Hope this helps. Let me know any other questions. Our tour included lunch.

As I promised, here are a few more pictures for Kotor and nearby. We found this area very interesting and one where we would like to come back, spend more time, see additional aspects with its past history and great location, etc.

This high and wide view of Kotor shows the overall area, including the Bay of Kotor. It is one of the most indented parts of the Adriatic Sea. This bay is sometimes called the southern-most fjord in Europe. It is actually a submerged river canyon. Kotor has seen a significant increase in tourism, attracted by the Gulf’s natural beauty and the old town of Kotor that is a World Heritage Site.:

KotorHigherWiderOverview.jpg

Kotor has a population of 13,500 and its city wall was built by the Republic of Venice The Venetian influence remains predominant in the city's architecture. Here is a view of a portion of those walls and two different church domes. Kotor was settled during Ancient Roman times and has been fortified since the early Middle Ages. The city was part of the Venetian Republic 1420-1797, except for periods of Ottoman rule between 1538–1571 and 1657-1699. In the 1800’s, it was under the Habsburg Monarchy of Austria and then for time under the French Empire. After 1918, the city became a part of Yugoslavia. In 1979 major earthquake hit the Montenegrin coastal area and destroyed half of Kotor.:

KotorChurchDomesWall.jpg

In Kotor, here is a view of a clock tower with the dramatic mountains, walls, fortifications, etc., in the background.:

KotorClockTowerMtnBackground.jpg

There are many churches in Kotor, including this major one with two towers. The towers are of different heights as they ran short of money when restoring this church after the 1979 earthquake.:

KotorSquareChurchTowersTwin.jpg

Here is an example for one of the stone carving on a building in Kotor.:

KotorStoneCarvings.jpg

Here are two different church towers in Kotor. As I re-call, one is Orthodox and the other Roman Catholic.:

KotorTwoChurchTowers.jpg

• Like 1

Here are a few more of my visuals from last month in Kotor and nearby as we sailed in and out. You want to be up on top of your ship during these sailings so that you can see many of the scenic options for this wonderful area.

In Kotor, this is a closer view for one of the fortresses that sits high above the walled town.:

KotorUpperFortressMtnHigh.jpg

Perast is a few miles northwest of Kotor facing this scenic bay. Perast was at its peak in the 18th century under the Venetian Republic. It had four active shipyards and a fleet of one hundred ships. Many ornate baroque palaces and magnificent dwellings decorated this town that is full of typical Venetian architecture.:

KotorNearbyTownBldgs.jpg

When you sail in from the Adriatic Sea towards Kotor, this is the first fortress you see that guarded the area during its past and significant history.:

KotorSailInFortressGuarding.jpg

When sailing out from Kotor, here is another view of the settlements along that coast and the mountains.:

KotorSailOutViews.jpg

• Like 2

Sorry to post so many different visuals, but there are such a wide range of nice options, sights in and around Kotor, etc., it is hard to avoid. Here is more on Budva, Montenegro's historic capital, etc. Lots to love and enjoy in this area that is still not too over-run by large number of cruise ships and outside visitors. Its popularity will continue to grow as it is "discovered" and the word gets out. There is more to do than just get off of the ship and walk within the walled town of Kotor for an hour or two. Consider reaching out and exploring some of the nearby potentials.

In Budva, here is a view of a church and its tower within its walled, historic area. This coastal town, overall, including outside the walled area, has 15,000 inhabitants. This Budvanska coastal area is the heart of Montenegro's tourism. The area is well known for its sandy beaches, diverse nightlife and charming Mediterranean architecture. Budva is 2,500 years old, one of the oldest settlements on the Adriatic coast. :

KotorBudvaChurches.jpg

Many from Croatia view those from Montenegro as what they call “lazy”. Here was a tee-shirt sold at a shop in Montenegro with these “commandments” for how people in that country view taking life and things in an “easy" manner. Along the coast, their economy is now growing and prospering significantly.:

KotorMontenegroCommandments.jpg

At our lunch outside of Cetinje in Montenegro, here was the local wine that was served. Interesting wine label!! It was a good wine, along with our very enjoyable three-course lunch.:

KotorMontenegroWine.jpg

Here is another view of a room in the Old Royal Capital of Cetinje and its historic residence for the King of Montenegro. This building has many interesting historic items and connections with the Russian Czars. It is not a large and grand capital, nor palace, but it gave us a sample for how things operation in the 1800’s when the country was not under foreign control.:

KotorRoyalCapInterior2.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for them they are really impressive lets hope we are blessed with the weather you had.

Appreciate the nice comments. Good luck on your trip. I'll put in an order for getting the right weather for your trip. It worked well for us. May you be blessed, too! If not, I'll double your money back.

Enjoyed northern Wales when we visited there in 2000. Hope to be back and do more there in that lovely area.

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 27,209 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 48,106 views.

Appreciate the nice comments. Good luck on your trip. I'll put in an order for getting the right weather for your trip. It worked well for us. May you be blessed, too! If not, I'll double your money back.

Enjoyed northern Wales when we visited there in 2000. Hope to be back and do more there in that lovely area.

Just back from a June 7-19 Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. These postings are now at 27,209 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 48,106 views.

Thank you for your nice words...North Wales is nice but South Wales is where the sun shines...

Our tour in June was a seven hour version. Our tour cost $76.75. Hope this helps. Let me know any other questions. Our tour included lunch.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/quote

Terry,

Do you recall where you enjoyed lunch in Kotor? We will be in Kotor on October 14th

Thanks,

Paula