Malta - Licensed guide - needed or not needed

Leo's Rule

Well -- that depends on you and on what you will see on your tour.

If you are the sort that will do some reading in advance and/or bring a good guidebook with you that explains the sights (particularly if you're planning to visit some of the places in Valletta such as the Co-Cathedral, the Grand Master's Palace, the Archaeological Museum), then you can do without a guide.

However, if you just like to turn up on the day without any prior knowledge or information, then a guide would be helpful in giving you the history and context of what you'll be seeing.

What kind of tour are you considering?

Thank you Cruise Mom.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being left to my own devices, as in trying to figure out if I was at the correct site.

I'm interested in visiting Valletta, Vittoriosa, Mdina, and Marsaxlokk.

And seeing the Church of St. Lawrence, Inquisitor's Palace, Upper Barrakka Gardens, Auberge de Castille, Dingli Cliffs, St. John's Co-Cathedral, and Grandmaster's Palace.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 using Forums Mobile App

Thank you Cruise Mom.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being left to my own devices' date=' as in trying to figure out if I was at the correct site.

I'm interested in visiting Valletta, Vittoriosa, Mdina, and Marsaxlokk.

And seeing the Church of St. Lawrence, Inquisitor's Palace, Upper Barrakka Gardens, Auberge de Castille, Dingli Cliffs, St. John's Co-Cathedral, and Grandmaster's Palace.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 5 using Forums Mobile App[/quote']

That sounds like a lot to do in one day. There is also the /roman House just outside of the gates of old Mdina which is interesting too.

• 2 months later...

We are cruising on Celebrity Constellation this May and would like to visit the Grand Harbour and up to the gardens by lift plus Republic St to the small palace I have heard of still lived in by the Marchese and Marquis and the Cathedral. Is this viable on our own in a few hours? ...I have bad knees for hills but can walk for half hour or so OK on the flat.Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
That sounds like a lot to do in one day. There is also the /roman House just outside of the gates of old Mdina which is interesting too.

Yeah, it was a lot to do in one day. I've made some adjustments to my activities.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Forums mobile app

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The co-cathedral, gardens at the top of the lift, the Malta experience and a 2 harbours boat tour are all possible in a day without a guide. Be wary of travel to other parts of Malta like Medina, traffic can make a return journey much longer than you think, in and out of Valletta is hard to time accurately. Valletta itself is good to wander and explore but again leave time as down to both harbours are steep with lots of steps.

Hi

I am interested in walking around Valletta and going to Mdina for my port day along with a nice lunch. Am concerned about non paved roads so cruise is recommending a jeep tour. Not sure if I'm going to like a bumpy ride around in December. What do you suggest? Would another type of excursion be better? Would be me and my daughter who is 30

Thank you