Lisbon Restaurants

We will be spending 2 nights at the Intercontinental In Lisbon at the end of the month. It is near Edward VII park and across the street from the Four Seasons.Does anyone know of any good mid range restaurants in that area?

Thank you.

Peggy

Since nobody is being helpful we will toss out an idea. While it might be more convenient to choose a nearby restaurant (the concierge will have plenty of advice) we would point out that Lisbon taxis are not too expensive. Whenever we are in Lisbon (overnight) we love to have dinner at Senior Vinho. This is a decent (not great) restaurant owned by Fado singers....and you will also get several hours of world-class Fado music (the entertainment is usually from a little after 9 until around midnight). It can get busy here so having reservations (you can make them online) is a good idea. You could also ask your hotel's Concierge handle the reservations which would probably help get you a better table location (e-mail the concierge before your trip).

As to food, this restaurant has a fixed price menu (a good deal popular with many tourists) as well as a large a la carte menu.

Hank

We will be spending 2 nights at the Intercontinental In Lisbon at the end of the month. It is near Edward VII park and across the street from the Four Seasons.Does anyone know of any good mid range restaurants in that area?

Thank you.

Peggy

Peggy,

We stayed about 3 blocks south of the Park at the Hotel Britania and ate at a few restaurants in the general area. Most were within a block or so of the Avenida subway stop and walkable from the Park and your hotel. Across and about a block off Av. da Liberdade on Rua do Salitre was an amazing restaurant called Floresta do Salitre. We were welcomed inside by the owner like we were being greeted in his house. The food was fantastic, prices were reasonable and we were treated like family. We ordered dessert and a glass of port was complimentary. We travel a lot and love to find local non touristy restaurants to eat at and this was one of our all time favorites. The night we were there, the owner was the only person who spoke english but they do have english menus. If we travel back to Lisbon we would definitely return for dinner. They are highly recommended on TripAdvisor as well.

Have a great trip!

Dave

I usually use Yelp to find places by location; has lots of filters (cost, type, etc) and reviews. Also there is mobile version. Here is url for Intercontinental vicinity. https://www.yelp.ca/search?find_desc=Restaurants&find_loc=R.+Castilho+149+lisbon&ns=1 click on All Filters button all add you own filters

Edited by hkto

Thanks from me too, all. We are staying at the same hotel in July and are looking for places to eat as well. All your advice is helpful.

Peggy CTB, are you on a Uniworld trip? We are and the stay is at the Intercontinental also, so thought you might be as well. Please do a report when you come back if you can. There is so little available here on CC for river cruising and even less for the Douro.

Have fun and leave some wine and port for us, please

We stayed 5 nights in the Intercontinental in 2015. Super hotel.

There are few restaurants close to the hotel but several a short distance towards the 'centre' of Lisbon. Given that taxis are good value and the metro system is even better value, don't be put off trying restaurants further into Lisbon.

My advice is to ask at the hotel - they are super friendly and very happy to help.

Enjoy your stay. I miss the place.

• 3 months later...
Since nobody is being helpful we will toss out an idea. While it might be more convenient to choose a nearby restaurant (the concierge will have plenty of advice) we would point out that Lisbon taxis are not too expensive. Whenever we are in Lisbon (overnight) we love to have dinner at Senior Vinho. This is a decent (not great) restaurant owned by Fado singers....and you will also get several hours of world-class Fado music (the entertainment is usually from a little after 9 until around midnight). It can get busy here so having reservations (you can make them online) is a good idea. You could also ask your hotel's Concierge handle the reservations which would probably help get you a better table location (e-mail the concierge before your trip).

As to food, this restaurant has a fixed price menu (a good deal popular with many tourists) as well as a large a la carte menu.

Hank

Hi Hank,

We are planning on a Fado show next year when we overnight in Lisbon. I know you are a fan of Sr Vinho. could you tell me how large the venue is please?

Ie., does it seat 100's or people or is it smaller? I have been looking at pics but having a hard time determining size.

Trying to decide between it and Sr. Fado de Alfama.

thanks so much :)

Hi Hank,

We are planning on a Fado show next year when we overnight in Lisbon. I know you are a fan of Sr Vinho. could you tell me how large the venue is please?

Ie., does it seat 100's or people or is it smaller? I have been looking at pics but having a hard time determining size.

Trying to decide between it and Sr. Fado de Alfama.

thanks so much :)

Am trying to count tables (in my mind) but doubt if they could get 100 into this place. Probably closer to 70. It is a relatively small venue and not all the tables have an unobstructed view of the singer. But on our 3 visits, we have always arrived pretty early (a little after 9) and been given a very good table. This is actually a pretty decent restaurant with a good menu. We usually opt for their less expensive formula meal (includes several courses) but we have noticed some very yummy ala carte items (at more money). They have a good web site http://www.srvinho.com and you can select English on the first page. We always e-mail them (there is a link on their web site) for reservations.

Hank

Am trying to count tables (in my mind) but doubt if they could get 100 into this place. Probably closer to 70. It is a relatively small venue and not all the tables have an unobstructed view of the singer. But on our 3 visits, we have always arrived pretty early (a little after 9) and been given a very good table. This is actually a pretty decent restaurant with a good menu. We usually opt for their less expensive formula meal (includes several courses) but we have noticed some very yummy ala carte items (at more money). They have a good web site http://www.srvinho.com and you can select English on the first page. We always e-mail them (there is a link on their web site) for reservations.

Hank

Thank you very much Hank :). I have been on their website but it doesn't seem to be co-operating for pricing, etc. I'll have to try another search engine, I think.

Appreciate your reply very much. It's a big help :)

SR Vinho doesn't list prices but has fixed price tourist menu that might be cheaper. On Yelp they are in high price category which has 6 fado restaurants which cheaper price index and better reviews

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thank you very much Hank :). I have been on their website but it doesn't seem to be co-operating for pricing, etc. I'll have to try another search engine, I think.

Appreciate your reply very much. It's a big help :)

It is not inexpensive. You can keep the cost under 100€ (for 2) by using their fixed menus (which are quite good). If you decide to order A la carte, some items (especially fresh sea food) can by quite pricey by local standards. Yet this restaurant is usually packed...with many customers from the local area. Why? It is about the Fado.....which is as good as it gets. The Fado performers (normally 4 or 5 different singers every night) are among the best, and the musician(s) that accompany are also world class. So we go primarily for the music. The truth is that if you want the best food in Lisbon, it will not be found at any Fado restaurant.

Hank

It is not inexpensive. You can keep the cost under 100€ (for 2) by using their fixed menus (which are quite good). If you decide to order A la carte, some items (especially fresh sea food) can by quite pricey by local standards. Yet this restaurant is usually packed...with many customers from the local area. Why? It is about the Fado.....which is as good as it gets. The Fado performers (normally 4 or 5 different singers every night) are among the best, and the musician(s) that accompany are also world class. So we go primarily for the music. The truth is that if you want the best food in Lisbon, it will not be found at any Fado restaurant.

Hank

Thanks again :). I have shared your valuable info with our roll call (hope that is ok).

We are going with friends and after following reviews, pics, posts, emails, etc., we have decided to go to Sr. Fado Restaurant. It's a little restaurant in the Alfama district and the owners were premier Fado guitarist and singer and perform (along with others at times) after the meal which is a home cooked Portuguese dinner ;)

It is very highly rated and the intimacy of the venue appeals to us.

I'll be sure to report when we return (if people like) and let you know.

We really appreciate your help here and on the ports boards :)

Edited by kazu

Thanks again :). I have shared your valuable info with our roll call (hope that is ok).

We are going with friends and after following reviews, pics, posts, emails, etc., we have decided to go to Sr. Fado Restaurant. It's a little restaurant in the Alfama district and the owners were premier Fado guitarist and singer and perform (along with others at times) after the meal which is a home cooked Portuguese dinner ;)

It is very highly rated and the intimacy of the venue appeals to us.

I'll be sure to report when we return (if people like) and let you know.

We really appreciate your help here and on the ports boards :)

We look forward to reading about your experience, here on CC, upon your return. Going off the ship to enjoy dinner at a local restaurant and sample the unique Fado music, is IMHO the perfect way to enjoy some local culture. What we have never understood are the passengers, who have overnights (or very late nights) and never try to experience the local food and entertainment. The vast majority of cruisers will usually return to the ship before dinner, and not even think about going off for dinner/show.

If you have a great time (and the music is good) we might follow your lead and try that place on our next visit. Always looking to expand our horizons :).

Hank

We look forward to reading about your experience, here on CC, upon your return. Going off the ship to enjoy dinner at a local restaurant and sample the unique Fado music, is IMHO the perfect way to enjoy some local culture. What we have never understood are the passengers, who have overnights (or very late nights) and never try to experience the local food and entertainment. The vast majority of cruisers will usually return to the ship before dinner, and not even think about going off for dinner/show.

If you have a great time (and the music is good) we might follow your lead and try that place on our next visit. Always looking to expand our horizons :).

Hank

I will definitely let you know and I will be doing a live thread as well. The cruise is still aways away, but planning is part of the fun ;)

One of the things we liked about this cruise was the overnight in Lisbon and the chance to hear real,genuine Fado ;)

Edited by kazu

• 1 month later...
We are going with friends and after following reviews, pics, posts, emails, etc., we have decided to go to Sr. Fado Restaurant. It's a little restaurant in the Alfama district and the owners were premier Fado guitarist and singer and perform (along with others at times) after the meal which is a home cooked Portuguese dinner

You've made a good choice with Sr. Fado. We were there less than two weeks ago and had a great experience.

Food: You'll be asked to choose between a pork/mussels dish and a fish/shellfish dish, both cooked in a traditional Portuguese pan called a cataplana. Our group was large enough that we had ordered both dishes; the folks who wanted the pork sat near that pan and the folks who wanted the shellfish sat near that pan. Very generous portions and, at least with the seafood, very generous amounts of higher-end shellfish like prawns.

Music: This is a family affair. The chef/owner sings. His wife sings. Her daughter sings. Each has a totally different style of singing. Other fado restaurants may present more singers, but the quality and variety among those three singers made this evening one of our most successful. The Portuguese say that to really sing Fado, a person must be born in either the Alfama or Bairro Alta district. These singers qualify.

Incidentally, Sr. Fado is a tiny place. If you can't get reservations, consider going to O Faia in Bairro Alta. The menu at O Faia is more varied, and the place is larger, but the over-all experience is good. Some nights are the equivalent of open mike night for a few of the sets. Among the open mike singers, no one was bad, but some were more talented than others. Some of the sets are always handled by the regulars. The best singer of the night was a woman who may have been 80-years old. She delivered her songs with feeling!

Edited by Pet Nit Noy