Have any cruise ships stopped in Turkey since the failed coup?

3redheads

I read somewhere that an RCCL ship stopped there a few days after the failed coup, but have not heard of any other ships/cruise lines stopping in Turkey.

Has anyone heard of any ships still visiting Turkey?

TIA

Yes, Royal Caribbean Vision and Jewel of the Seas have both called., also X Reflection?

I think there was a thread on the Xor RCI board somebody reported they had taken a ships excursion to Ephesus. They reported an armed guard at the Virgin Mary House but, I understand that is not new.

My cruise on the HAL Prinsendam for Sept/Oct had stops scheduled for Trabzon, Sinop, Kusadasi, and Istanbul that were canceled on the last part of the cruise and replaced with stops in the Adriatic Sea. However, the stop in Kusadasi scheduled for the first part of the cruise has not changed.

My cruise on the HAL Prinsendam for Sept/Oct had stops scheduled for Trabzon, Sinop, Kusadasi, and Istanbul that were canceled on the last part of the cruise and replaced with stops in the Adriatic Sea. However, the stop in Kusadasi scheduled for the first part of the cruise has not changed.

Wow! Your cruise has really been impacted by the changes.

We were on Jewel July 24-31 cruise and stopped at Kusadasi on Wed that week. Kusadasi was peaceful and calm, as usual (we've been there before both with cruises and on land based holidays). We talked with several Turkish acquaintances (shopkeepers and restaurant owners) who all claimed that Kusadasi has been calm and "business as usual" the whole time as it is so far away from Istanbul and Ankara. But there were not as much tourists as previous years.

Security was on normal level as well. They do check your seapass cards when entering the harbor shopping center. Strangely; if you had a seapass card, they did not check your belongings. But all others had to have their bags etc put through a scanner at the front gate. Ours were only scanned when entering the port building and then again onboard.

We had no plans on going to Ephesus, since we've been there several times. We had a pleasant day walking around the town, having delicious kebab and doing some shopping.

• 3 weeks later...

We have a scheduled stop in Kusadasi next year on the Jewel OTS in October - more than a year away. My DH is certain that the port will be changed by then, but I am hoping he is wrong. I am looking forward to this port! I know a lot of things can change by then, so keeping my fingers crossed. Prayers for peace for the innocent people of this country.

Edited by Sunny AZ Girl

I read somewhere that an RCCL ship stopped there a few days after the failed coup, but have not heard of any other ships/cruise lines stopping in Turkey.

Has anyone heard of any ships still visiting Turkey?

TIA

We were supposed to visit Kusadasi/Ephesus on Oc 21, 2016 on the Pacific Princess, but Princess Cruises just sent us an email saying that port was cancelled and we are now going to Albania.

So it seems no Princess cruise is going to Kusadasi Turkey at the moment.

We have just finished a wonderful day touring Ephesus as part of our Azamara Journey cruise. We went on a private tour that included the Ephesus archeological site, Basilica of St John, Ephesus Museum, lunch, and a stop at a carpet weaving demonstration. Kusadasi is a very attractive port city. It is very clean and has no graffiti.

If I had not read the news, I would have no idea that anything unusual had occurred in Turkey in the last months. Everything appeared completely normal. The police presence was normal for a port stop. (In contrast, at many places in Rome, the police were heavily armed with automatic weapons and armored personnel vehicles.)

I am very glad that our port stop in Kusadasi was not cancelled. I hope to have the opportunity to visit Turkey again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have just finished a wonderful day touring Ephesus as part of our Azamara Journey cruise. We went on a private tour that included the Ephesus archeological site, Basilica of St John, Ephesus Museum, lunch, and a stop at a carpet weaving demonstration. Kusadasi is a very attractive port city. It is very clean and has no graffiti.

If I had not read the news, I would have no idea that anything unusual had occurred in Turkey in the last months. Everything appeared completely normal. The police presence was normal for a port stop. (In contrast, at many places in Rome, the police were heavily armed with automatic weapons and armored personnel vehicles.)

I am very glad that our port stop in Kusadasi was not cancelled. I hope to have the opportunity to visit Turkey again soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for the update. I pray that we will be able to visit this port next year. It is a port I have looked forward to visiting fr a long time.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. Sounds like Royal Caribbean ships have been calling on Kusadasi pretty regularly in the past months, whereas Princess and HAL have not. Anyway, we are scheduled on the Jewel of the Seas to stop at Kusadasi in October, and it sounds like we'll likely make port. We have booked an independent shore excursion to Ephesus and the quoted price is really low; guess they may have dropped in price because the supply is high, whereas the demand is low.

• 2 weeks later...