Gibraltar - pre-arrange tour or wing it?

TVNews

Booked a pre-arranged tour with one of the recommended operators along with some folks on our roll call only to have four of them cancel with less than a month before the cruise.

We're now wondering whether to try to fill the group or just get off the ship and join a tour at the pier. Any pros/cons to either option?

• 2 weeks later...

I would try to fill at least two of your seats and stick with the tour. We were just there and did a 3 1/2 hour tour of the Rock and all around. It happened to be Gibraltar Day so there was a big celebration in the square in the afternoon so that was an added treat. They really don't have a lot of tour operators and it is always busy when a ship is in. I think the price difference for our tour was about 6 pounds sterling per person saved by having 8 instead of 6.

Winging it would be simplest, no need to worry about no-shows etc.

No problem sharing a van at the cruise terminal as long as you're not particularly late getting off the ship - the marshals put you in a van, the van fills & off you go within a minute or two. Rated by most as very good value.

But that tour only covers the upper Rock (stops at Jewish Memorial & southern overlook, St Michael's Cave & western overlook, Apes Den & east/west overlooks, Great Siege Tunnels & northern overlook). Nothing like the 3.5 hours mentioned by Mr Click, it's more like 90 minutes. Not rushed, the time is perfectly adequate, and at the end of the tour most folk opt to be dropped in town to explore rather than straight back to the ship.

All the vans will be about the same size due to the steep, narrow & twisty roads on the upper Rock.

I don't know the cost/itinerary of your planned tour, and I'm now out-of-date with the cost of the tour available at the terminal (a year or two ago it was £22pp) so I can't comment on which is the best tour or the best value, but perhaps broadly follow Mr Click's advice - try to find substitutes (and check the opinions of others in the group about any extra cost) & make a decision before the cancellation deadline. If you have to cancel, you & the others won't be left in the lurch because you can all just switch (individually or as a group) to the tour available on-spec.

JB :)

Thanks for the advice.

From your description John Bull, the major difference between the "on spec" tour and the longer, pre-arranged one are the stops at Europa Point/100 ton gun and the Moorish castle.

Is it possible to negotiate with the drivers at the pier to add extra stops?

The price for the pre-arranged tour is 50 pounds pp (based on 8) and goes up to 63.50 for six and 90 pounds each for four. So there would appear to be a substantial price difference between the options.

Thanks for the advice.

From your description John Bull, the major difference between the "on spec" tour and the longer, pre-arranged one are the stops at Europa Point/100 ton gun and the Moorish castle.

Is it possible to negotiate with the drivers at the pier to add extra stops?

The price for the pre-arranged tour is 50 pounds pp (based on 8) and goes up to 63.50 for six and 90 pounds each for four. So there would appear to be a substantial price difference between the options.

If you have the van to yourselves, or if those sharing with you agree, or if your add-on is at the end of the upper Rock tour, yes you can negotiate extras.

At the end of the standard on-spec tour, after the Great Siege tunnels & on its way back to town, it passes the WW2 tunnels and the Moorish castle. You can negotiate with driver/passengers for a stop at either (WW2 tunnels will cost you about 90 minutes, the little Moorish castle mebbe 10 to 20 minutes).

Or at no extra expense (other than admission to WW2 tunnels if you want), you can bale out at either, pay off the driver at the standard rate, and after your visit either walk (15 to 20 minutes, all downhill), or bus, down to town.

I think access to the Moorish castle is included in the upper Rock nature reserve fee, which is included in the tour price - if it isn't it'll only be pennies.

After touring the upper Rock, the 100 ton gun and Europa Point would fit nicely into a circumnavigation of Gib at sea-level - that circumnavigation (100-ton gun, Europa Point, Mediterranean-side tunnel, Catalan Bay, Jewish cemetery, airport, & ending at Casemates Square or back to the ship) is less than 30 minutes driving, mebbe 45 to 60 minutes total.

If 2 or 4 strangers sharing your van don't want that add-on, its no big deal to drop them at Casemates Square or ship at the end of the upper Rock tour, and split the extra cost amongst your own party.

So you have a number of options - and can decide on the day according to numbers, mood, weather, time, cost etc.

Hope this helps

Edited by John Bull

Was incredibly easy to DIY as JB said. As we got off the ship the Marshall asked us how many and immediately put us DW and I with six others and off we went. Think it was 30€ this summer. Great tour for 90 minutes. All the vans follow the same route. Wanted to do siege tunnels as did one other couple but they were closed for a holiday. Unless you really have a desire to see the 100 ton gun the standard 90 min tour works well. We all agreed to end in town and then each of us did our own thing back to ship.

We also did the diy. We got off the ship early and got on a van pretty quickly with several other couples. The driver offered us some different choices and we went to the Moorish castle rather than another stop (I can't remember what). It worked out well and we still had time for shopping after.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would try to fill at least two of your seats and stick with the tour. We were just there and did a 3 1/2 hour tour of the Rock and all around. It happened to be Gibraltar Day so there was a big celebration in the square in the afternoon so that was an added treat. They really don't have a lot of tour operators and it is always busy when a ship is in. I think the price difference for our tour was about 6 pounds sterling per person saved by having 8 instead of 6.

I often wonder what cruise passengers think of Gibraltar when they arrive on National Day. It is nice to know at least some think it is a treat rather than a nightmare - because getting food and drink if you have not booked ahead can be a problem. This year was really hot but thankfully most of the young people seemed to be behaving themselves. Our family had a great time.

To the OP - you can easily wing it. The taxi drivers are very flexible and act as both tour guide and taxi driver. I think it is cheaper to get a taxi than to pay for a ship tour.

btw - the taxi tour does three stops and you choose what you want to see. The Upper Rock is being enhanced by the Govt. Recently a bridge has been built that tourists can use (for no cost). I have to admit that I have a height phobia and got about 3 metres on and had to go back. It could be fun crossing - but you would have to negotiate with your driver to stop at Royal Anglian Way. It has to cost more to add stops.

We took an inexpensive tour, left it at the cave after telling our tour guide, (it was the cheapest way up) and walked the whole rock on foot. We were tired at the end but had a blast! We also collected a bunch of geocaches!!

Edited by Viv0828

No worries, just don't be late off the ship. ;)

Hi JB and all -

Our first visit to Gibraltar coming up. There are only 2 of us, so we really don't want to book a private tour. The van tour sounds about right for us.

BUT

One thing we hate is getting up early every day on a cruise. We were hoping to wait until 1030AM or so to look for a van tour. We're on the Oosterdam on Oct 25 and we dock at 800AM. So does the Eurodam. So lots of folks in town that day. How long do the vans stick around? Will we be out of luck?

Thanks for any info.

Kathy

No worries, just don't be late off the ship. ;)

Hi JB and all -

Our first visit to Gibraltar coming up. There are only 2 of us, so we really don't want to book a private tour. The van tour sounds about right for us.

BUT

One thing we hate is getting up early every day on a cruise. We were hoping to wait until 1030AM or so to look for a van tour. We're on the Oosterdam on Oct 25 and we dock at 800AM. So does the Eurodam. So lots of folks in town that day. How long do the vans stick around? Will we be out of luck?

Thanks for any info.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

That's a bit too specific for me to give you a reliable reply, but it does sound mebbe a bit late. Around 9 to 9.30 makes a lot more sense.

It's a question of whether all vans at the port will have already been filled by then and, if they haven't, whether the flood of potential punters has slowed to a trickle & there's better trade to be found elsewhere.

And bear in mind that coachloads of trippers from the Spanish resorts start to arrive about that time. Those coaches can't tour Gib, they simply drive from the border to the coach park, and of course a lot of their passengers will be wanting van tours.

I don't know.

But I'm certainly not going to suggest it's OK to get off the ship then.

Much better to tell you not to be a lazy *** :D

If you do foul-up, try the coach park (now at King's Bastion) which is off Main Street halfway up & near the tourist info office. Or there are taxis behind Casemates Square, but the main problem there would be to find sharers.

Gibraltar - http://www.rocktoursgibraltar.com Jamie was a local who was extremely passionate about his country and actually knew the apes by name. He was totally thorough in his knowledge and the guided tour through the World War II tunnels was quite eye-opening. We had lunch at a fish & chips sidewalk café and sat with a local couple in their 70’s who ate lunch here every Saturday and then went dancing!!

I promise you will LOVE this tour!!!

Dinah

Gibraltar - http://www.rocktoursgibraltar.com Jamie was a local who was extremely passionate about his country and actually knew the apes by name. He was totally thorough in his knowledge and the guided tour through the World War II tunnels was quite eye-opening. We had lunch at a fish & chips sidewalk café and sat with a local couple in their 70’s who ate lunch here every Saturday and then went dancing!!

I promise you will LOVE this tour!!!

Dinah

Hi Dinah,

That sounds like Jamie's 7-hour "ultimate" tour, his only one which visits the WW2 tunnels. Unless you're confusing them with the Great Siege Tunnels, which are included in all tours. (WW2 extensive and includes large halls and roads, Great Siege is hand-hewn, mind your head here and there, and includes port-holed cannons and mannequins in 18th century uniforms).

Jamie's "standard" tour is the same basic tour as is offered by vans available on-spec at the cruise terminal, and about the same pp price for a group of 8.

So if folk want the reassurance of a pre-booked tour & can get eight together, booking Jamie is a good way to do it.

For smaller numbers of course his price shoots up, but there's the advantage of the line of vans available on-spec - the marshals fill the vans & individuals pay only the standard pp price.

Jamie's website gives an accurate & pretty comprehensive idea of the itineraries and the sights.

A useful resource for any visitor to Gib.

Edited by John Bull

• 1 month later...

What is the distance from the shopping area to the cruise terminal? I hope it is walkable.

The tour sounds the easiest but some of us are interested in riding the tram/DIY. How far is the tram station from the cruise terminal? What is the cost for the tram? Is there admission charge for the Upper Rock and the other attractions on the tour?

Thank you.

What is the distance from the shopping area to the cruise terminal? I hope it is walkable.

The tour sounds the easiest but some of us are interested in riding the tram/DIY. How far is the tram station from the cruise terminal? What is the cost for the tram? Is there admission charge for the Upper Rock and the other attractions on the tour?

Thank you.

Ship to northern end of Main Street is 20 - 25 minutes.

Ship to cable-car, a little beyond the southern end of Main Street, is about 35 to 40 minutes.

All on level ground.

With the cable-car you can buy a ticket for just the cable-car (£10 one-way or £12.50 return) or a ticket which includes entrance St Michael's Cave & Great Siege tunnel (£20.25). Be aware St Michael's Cave is a 15 minute walk south from the top cable car station & the Gt Siege tunnel about a 25 minute walk north.

With taxi tours (£25?) those admissions are included.

There's no fee for the Apes Den.

Ship to northern end of Main Street is 20 - 25 minutes.

Ship to cable-car, a little beyond the southern end of Main Street, is about 35 to 40 minutes.

All on level ground.

With the cable-car you can buy a ticket for just the cable-car (£10 one-way or £12.50 return) or a ticket which includes entrance St Michael's Cave & Great Siege tunnel (£20.25). Be aware St Michael's Cave is a 15 minute walk south from the top cable car station & the Gt Siege tunnel about a 25 minute walk north.

With taxi tours (£25?) those admissions are included.

There's no fee for the Apes Den.

Sorry just trying to clarify that are the Van tours what we are calling taxi tours?

IMO the best thing to do in Gibraltar is to stay on the ship. The place is scruffy, to put it mildly.

Gibraltar has lots of interest, and those 'taxi' tours give a great overview of the important sights of this key portal to the Mediterranean. The shopping/dining area is fun to explore. We visited there on a day trip from Spain, and it is one of the ports on our next cruise, but we aren't even considering staying on the ship!

• 5 weeks later...
We also did the diy. We got off the ship early and got on a van pretty quickly with several other couples. The driver offered us some different choices and we went to the Moorish castle rather than another stop (I can't remember what). It worked out well and we still had time for shopping after.

Was incredibly easy to DIY as JB said. As we got off the ship the Marshall asked us how many and immediately put us DW and I with six others and off we went. Think it was 30€ this summer. Great tour for 90 minutes. All the vans follow the same route. Wanted to do siege tunnels as did one other couple but they were closed for a holiday. Unless you really have a desire to see the 100 ton gun the standard 90 min tour works well. We all agreed to end in town and then each of us did our own thing back to ship.

Sounds like the way to do it.. we could be 4 or just 2 or ?? So DIY sounds the best way!