Porto: Port Tasting Recommendation

Pet Nit Noy

While planning our first port call to Porto, I read a blog that recommended visiting the Port Institute as an efficient way to sample tastes from among 100s of types of Porto. (Since the Port Institute was also located near the beautiful Palacio da Bolsa and the tile murals of the Sao Bento Train station, it seemed like a good idea to stay on the Porto side of the river and skip the trip to individual port wineries in Gaia. Repeat seemed.) In reality, the Port Institute offered only two set tastings for a fee and, at the end when we went to buy the tawny port we liked the best, the stockroom was out of many of the bottles they were serving. When we walked through the halls between the tasting room and the WC, we could see glass walled laboratories to our left and right. Since the tasting was a such a disappointment, once back in the tasting room, we asked if we could visit one of the laboratories and learn about the work going on there. Unfortunately, the answer was "no."

During our most recent visit to Porto, we went straight to the Taylor winery on the Gaia side of the river. This turned out to offer the experience we had hoped to have one our first visit. The visit began with a walk through the facility with an audio guide and excellent displays. The visit ended with a visit to the tasting room where the basic price of 12 Euro included nice pours of both the driest white port (Chip Dry) and Late Bottled Vintage red port. Both of these were very pleasant drinks, but we were aware they were not the best end of the spectrum of Taylor ports. For a by-the-glass fee, my husband and I purchased two of Taylor's ultra-high end ports: Limited Edition 1966 Single Harvest ($24) and 40-year Old Tawny Port ($20). Wow! Fabulous experience. The two tastes were different from one another and both were really that much better than the standard port offered as part of the tour. We were traveling with friends and no one else chose to buy extra tastings, but my husband and I decided we'd never buy a full bottle of these ultra high end ports and we doubted we'd find such quality port at a by-the-glass price. (Incidentally, buying from the most expensive end of the product line meant we got a bigger pour than the two standard ports.) I chose to pass on the most expensive port. I don't remember the name of this top of the line, but at $120 a glass, I found it easy to pass by.

We were traveling with three other couples, two of whom had also visited Porto in the past. That influenced our decision to stay for lunch at the Taylor Fladgate restaurant. Delicious food and beautiful views, but this would not be a good choice for people making their first trip to Porto if you still want to see the other important places in the city.

And that Port Institute in the city? We learned that the role of that institute is to test the port from all the wineries to make sure that the product that goes into the bottle is exactly what it claims to be. In the 40-year old port, for example, the liquid is not really all 40-years old. Some is much older wine mixed with younger wine. The average of the blend must be 40 years and those labs we saw during our first visit are where the testing takes place.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Great to hear about your Port tasting experience and the better experience visiting at Taylor, thank you so much for sharing the details with us here. Sounds like it was well worth it to take the time visiting Taylor, as Porto is particularly noted for this "potable" beverage around the world. Having personally tasted the difference between "ordinary" port and "fine" port...and yes, there IS a difference...I'm glad you treated yourself to the aged ports and enjoyed them - in Porto! (I just had mine in a restaurant!)

Your post got me curious and so I went to the Taylor website, thought I'd add it here to the thread for others who might be headed here and curious about adding this to their plans too. Thanks for the inspiration and your great story!

I'm sharing their "Port wine traditions" page to go into what port is all about; the menu will get you anywhere you want on the Taylor website! Have fun!

http://www.taylor.pt/en/enjoy-port-wine/traditions/

Porto is a decent port city. One might want to consider that there are more then a dozen "port house" with tasting...all located on the Gaia side (far side when coming from the cruise port) of the river. In our case, during our last visit, we simply walked from our ship to the Tram Line (whether this is possible depends on your docking location) and took the fast and inexpensive tram into town. Once in the Gaio area we simply started visiting various port houses (and also stopped at a tasting room). On our last visit we managed to visit 4 or 5 (hard to remember after drinking lots of port) port houses and it was lots of fun. If and when we return....we will do the same thing although we will certainly try to sample port at some other port houses.

Hank

During our most recent visit to Porto, we went straight to the Taylor winery on the Gaia side of the river... For a by-the-glass fee, my husband and I purchased two of Taylor's ultra-high end ports: Limited Edition 1966 Single Harvest ($24) and 40-year Old Tawny Port ($20). Wow! Fabulous experience. The two tastes were different from one another and both were really that much better than the standard port offered as part of the tour. We were traveling with friends and no one else chose to buy extra tastings, but my husband and I decided we'd never buy a full bottle of these ultra high end ports and we doubted we'd find such quality port at a by-the-glass price.

Yesterday, I made reservations for dinner with friends at a traditional steak house in my hometown. Out of curiosity, I looked at the after-dinner drink list and Taylor's 40-year old Tawny port was on the list. Price: $30.

I suspect we'll pass.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

• 1 month later...

Yes, all the port wine cellars are in the south side of the Douro River, Vila Nova de Gaia, but every part of Ribeira ("near the river") of Porto and Gaia is flat and easy walkable (depending on your mobility, of course), but our transport system is also easy and affordable.

And as I always tell our cruise acquaintances, when they discover that we are from the city of Port wine, you truly have to come to experience the "good stuff" because what you normally drink and what is normally served in foreign restaurants, and even cruise ships is the most common types (exportations makes prices higher). To have a good glass of Port you have to pay lots. Here you can taste and buy the good Port wine and is very affordable.

You truly have to try and understand the difference.