Sydney-Kangaroo Island Feb 2017 - rough seas?

whimsy7

we're considering going on the Pacific Jewel in Feb 2017 to Eden, Portland, Mornington Peninsula and Kangaroo Island.

are the seas usually rough in that southern part of Australia?

I realise it can be a matter of the weather at the time....

it takes me about 1.5 sea days (when we depart Sydney for NZ or the South Pacific) to get my sea legs....not keen to take 6 out of 8 days on this trip to get my sea legs....lol

any tips/info/advice would be appreciated.

thanks.

we're considering going on the Pacific Jewel in Feb 2017 to Eden, Portland, Mornington Peninsula and Kangaroo Island.

it takes me about 1.5 sea days (when we depart Sydney for NZ or the South Pacific) to get my sea legs....not keen to take 6 out of 8 days on this trip to get my sea legs....lol

thanks.

Seas can be rough around Kangaroo Island. The ferries from the mainland to the island didn't run for six days prior to our visit last year, so your stop at KI will be weather dependent.

Hi there

I have done KI and other SA ports several times from Melb. February, March and January were the months. As you know the weather down here can vary a lot very suddenly but the trips I did were like mill ponds except for the one last March when we had one heck of a gale on the way home (got there ok) and were confined to being inside. Although on our departure from Melb we were delayed 7 hours because the swell in Port Philip bay was so strong the authorities wouldn't give us permission to leave. Anything can happen down here. I think the anchorage at KI is fairly sheltered at Penneshaw. I don't think they have much trouble. Portland should be fine. We did miss Robe. Because of the swell they couldn't hold the ship at anchor for us to tender.

I am off on Saturday for another trip over there - think I am in a rut. KI is wonderful especially if you do the Seals, Remarkable rocks and Admiralty Arch tour.

Enjoy yourself :):cool:

Predicting the weather or seas is a very difficult thing to do. These areas on the south coast and including Bass strait, Southern Ocean and the Tasman sea can be very rough but also like glass. I suppose it is a case of do you want to risk it, if not then don't but I think the sites and ports are worth the risk.:D

thanks.

Let's just say they don't call 'em the roaring 40s for no reason.

Sinbad that's a great link. Thanks a lot.

We are leaving Melb on Pacific Jewel for 6 nights this afternoon heading first to Port Lincoln and it looks like it might be a bumpy journey. I don't get sea sick but I do like to go on deck. Oh well them's the breaks.

I will store that link for future travels. :)