First Cruise with 8 month old

Cruise Princess 2009

This will be my first cruise with my baby boy he will be 8 months turning 9 months during the cruise. We are going on RCCL Oasis. I am hoping someone can help me with a few things.

The crib/pnp that they set up is it a standard size (like at home), or smaller? I want to bring my own sheet but want to make sure it fits.

Has any one had an issue bringing a case of bottled water? He is on formula and I will need it to make the bottles.

What items are a must to take with me?

Any advice for a new mom traveling with baby?

Thank you in advance for all your help!!!

We sailed with DD at 6 months of age on the Oasis last September. The PNP is a standard size. I cannot speak to whether there are any issues with bringing bottled water onboard but have read people have had success doing so.

Be sure to bring swim diapers since the Oasis has a splash pool for babies that are not potty trained (DD LOVED this). If you are making bottles, don't forget a little detergent and bottle brush to clean up bottles in your bathroom. Also be sure to bring PLENTY of child-safe sunscreen. If your LO is not teething yet, bring any medicine (Orajel, teething tablets) just in case a tooth is cut on vacation. We also brought children's Tylenol in case we needed it since it wouldn't be easy to find if needed. I can highly recommend the Royal Babies and Tots program (toy lending program, open playtime and babysitting service we used at night).

Don't forget to have FUN!

You'll want to bring an umbrella-type stroller. Spaces can be tight, so a big stroller might be difficult in places. Plus, you have to store it! We bought one from Babies R Us that has a recline feature, which is useful for babies that age (our son was 7 months when we cruised with him).

Other than that, just bring plenty of everything (medicine, diapers, etc...) and be flexible with your plans. It's a lot of fun.

We started cruising with our daughter when she was around one. The be flexible suggestion is top priority!!

We actually just had our daughter sleep with us while on the cruise. Quarters were so tight we ended up not using the pack n play provided and she was back to sleeping in her own room once back home.

The staff really cater to the little ones. I saw some bring small blow up pools and then filled with water using ice buckets since there are no pull up/swim diapers allowed in the pool. We live in FL so the pool wasn't a big deal for us. We would set "camp" by the pool under the upper deck in the shade and would take turns going in the pool if needed while the other watched our daughter.

We did the late dinner and she would sleep in her stroller (umbrella stroller a must!!! The big stroller will destroy you on a cruise). If she was cranky, we would forgo the dining room and eat at the casual buffet or make a plate and bring to the room.

Have fun!!!

We first cruised with my daughter when she was 5 months old almost 10 years ago. I agree with everybody, be flexible when traveling with the baby. Try to stick with his routine. We've never brought a PNP since the cabins were always tight so as babies, my kids slept with us.

We've never had an issue with bringing bottled water cases/gallons. The baby carriers and umbrella strollers were my most helpful items. I wrote this post on my blog of what to pack when cruising with babies and toddlers that have helped us. I hope it helps! http://www.theworldisabook.com/7666/cruising-with-babies-and-toddlers-packing-items/

Have fun and it will certainly be a memorable one.

Just reiterating what others have said!

Standard P&P. We requested a few extra sheets to drape around 3 sides and partially over the top to darken it while mom and dad stayed up.

We brought our larger stroller that accommodated her car seat for excursions. Definitely a pain getting around Explorer. An umbrella stroller is a better idea.

You can bring water on no problem. We brought 2 cases on Ex. Just slap a few luggage tags on them and you're good to go. Request your room steward to clear the fridge out so that you can store baby stuff in there. We also brought a soft cooler that was stocked with ice daily.

As said, plan for every possible coinsurance. Sunblock, baby Tylenol, gas drops, bottle brush and soap, extra wipes, diapers, nail cutters, inflatable duck tub is a must, some toys, etc....

We had a blast with our DD. She turned 6 months the day we left. Is it work? Of course - but so worth it!

The staff was great, especially the dining room staff. Formal nights are a blast. I think our DD gained about 20 new grandparents on our trip!

Happy Cruising!

We are also cruising on the Oasis with our 9 month old. We are very excited. I also received the advice of bringing a blow up bath tub. I bought one for $10. Our little guy isn't too keen on the showers just yet.

Archived