Viking China (Part 2)

BlueDevil75

Why not just exchange e-mail addresses and make a plan to meet before you leave? Either one of you can post an address here (using 'at' and 'dot' in place of those symbols, for security) or you can friend one another.

To friend someone on Cruise Critic, click on their screen name on any one of their post and then select 'Add to contacts.' That will bring up a new screen where you can then select 'send friend request.' This will only work if you both have a contact address included in your profile.

Bon voyage!

Thanks for the great ideas!:)

I second everything :) except that we did get the optional programs. I had signed up for both the Tang dynasty show and the Chinese opera and enjoyed them. Viking was amazing and the alternate itinierary was fine. There is so much to see that the tour barely scratches the surface. I would love to have more time there to really explore.

Glad you had the opportunity to experience the two optional tours!

The Viking Emerald pulled into ChongQing on Aug. 7th local time...so tours should be back on schedule.

Thank you Bayerish for your review. I am not on this cruise for over a year but your review made me even more excited. Things happen that are out of our control or Viking's. Happy to hear you had a great time!!!!

Bayerisch: welcome back and thanks for posting your review! I am glad that you were able to make lemonade out of lemons. (And not surprised that you share our thoughts about the wonderful Jin!)

I agree that Jin would make a fine stand up comedian. But I also want to mention that our tourguide Gao was fantastic. He was a little older than most of the guides and had been one for 30 years. He shared so much of the country's history and his own experiences during the cultural revolution and of the Chinese culture. We couldn't get enough. Gao had been a teacher prior to that and it showed. He was hard working and made it seem effortless that everything came together as if it was supposed to be that way, when in fact major changes had taken place. In addition, I was on the Roof trip and it was clear that in Tibet a major military occupation was in effect and tensions were high. The locals were afraid to talk and soldiers were everywhere. We were not allowed to take pictures of them. The tourists that ignored that, which of course some did had their pictures deleted by the soldiers. When leaving the hotel we had to take our passports along and one night a whole cadre of the soldiers came into the hotel looking for something or someone. We saw them everywhere, marching in three's, carrying batons, fire extinquishers and who knows what else. Gao was overjoyed when we left Tibet and it wasn't until then that I realized under what pressure he must have been there.

So, if you get Mr. Gao Qi as your guide, you are indeed in good hands. Thank you Mr. Gao.

Thank you, Bayerish, for your comments. It sounds like Viking in China is a lot more with it than Viking in the US. I'll go prepared to enjoy whatever comes.

I understand that Viking is based in Switzerland; I would think that they only have a sales and marketing office in the US. And yes, you will be completely taken care of. Our guide gave us a name tag with his cell phone number written on the back that he asked we wear while being out and about. If we were to become seperated from the group or lost we could show someone the number and they would call him. He shuttled us through 7 flights, security checks, and countless excursions. Often standing in the street stopping traffic to let us pass or giving orders in Chinese when people were not cooperative in expediting our progress. At one point he had a customs agent yell at the officer to speed up our entrance into the airport. Initially I thought his Viking flag flying while we were exploring was corny, but there were times when I was glad to see that flag to find him in the throngs of the masses after becoming seperated. When we asked Gao how some of the things were arranged he smiled and said "I have a cousin". Of course we know that cousins don't exist in China, that was his way of letting us know that Viking has connections.

I think you will find that you are well taken care of and I think you may really enjoy the trip. I would do it again, and may in the future.

Bayerish - thank you for your interesting report. I commend you for your "go with the flow" (no pun intended!) attitude about the revised itinerary of your trip. It sounds like all worked out well despite a few glitches beyond Viking's control.

Hannah --

There is not a lot of information on CC regarding the Tibet portion. Could you talk more about it and perhaps give some tips for those who are planning to do the 'Rooftop' itinerary? Especially can you talk about any problems that people encountered with the altitude and strategies that people used to cope with the very high altitudes? Anything that you can tell us about the Tibet portion will help people who are trying to decide whether they should go or not--especially from a health standpoint.

Thanks.

Thank you, Bayerish, for your comments. It sounds like Viking in China is a lot more with it than Viking in the US. I'll go prepared to enjoy whatever comes.

The China based crew is amazing in the best of circumstances so it does not surprise me that they surpassed themselves when the chips were down. I am sure that they worked very hard to make alternative housing, touring and flight arrangements for the three hundred passengers plus guides while also having to make arrangements to have the ship restocked in Wuhan when it should have been in Chongqin--all on short notice and in peak season.

Here's how to handle the complainers. Smile, take a good look at who you are talking to and then WALK AWAY without saying a word. Then, avoid them for the rest of the trip because they are dead set on ruining your trip, too.

Hannah --

There is not a lot of information on CC regarding the Tibet portion. Could you talk more about it and perhaps give some tips for those who are planning to do the 'Rooftop' itinerary? Especially can you talk about any problems that people encountered with the altitude and strategies that people used to cope with the very high altitudes? Anything that you can tell us about the Tibet portion will help people who are trying to decide whether they should go or not--especially from a health standpoint.

Thanks.

Yes of course. A previous travelor posted that everyone in her group was affected and I concurr. I had gone to a travel clinic and asked for the altitude medication as Viking and the CDC recommend. However, the good doctor did not give me a prescription, saying that I wasn't climbing Mount Everest so I did not need it. Well he was wrong. Almost everyone in my group, including the tourguide had symptoms. You can wait until you arrive, then if you start feeling the symptoms start taking the medication. It will help getting over it faster.

The symptoms are as follows: Dull headache, weakness, chills and hot flashes and dizziness. It can expand to vomiting and following that dehydration. Some had mild symptoms and after they took the medication, were fine. Others had severe symptoms and required a physician, which I did as well. The hotel, St. Regis, is a new hotel and is truly breathtakingly gorgeous. They employ a physician on site and he was in my room within 5 minutes of calling. He administered an IV and ordered bedrest and oxygen for me for 24 hours. Others received the IV and felt better right away.

The doctor does not speak English so either a hotel employee or your guide will have to translate. The bill will also have to be paid upon check out, but it was very reasonable by US standards and can be reimbursed if you have the travel insurance or your own health insurance.

One thing to note, which I didn't find out until after we left is that the room mini bar contains a small oxygen cylinder; so if you experience symptoms you can just purchase it right away and maybe it will keep the symptoms to a minimum.

Also a point to note is that the food in Tibet is different than the Chinese food and some were speculating that the vomiting some experienced may have had a food bourne cause. But we'll never know for sure because altitude sickness can also cause vomiting.

As far as physical exertion is concerned, on the last day in Tibet the Potala Palace visit is scheduled and it is a long and steep climb. The group is encouraged to go slowly and rest frequently. Viking also made arrangements for folks that wanted to stop and not go any further about half way up. These visitors were picked up by another guide and taken on an alternate route back down so that we would meet up again after the palace tour.

I am going to be direct and say that the palace tour is something you may want to skip if you are not able to physically exert yourself for at least an hour or more. The steps are steep and uneven and there are at least 700 of them up and down. I enjoyed the climb and was glad I got to see the palace, but some of the older folks that cannot walk well will not be able to do it because there are no handicapped accommodations, as well as in general in China.

Once in the palace the officials clocked us in we only had an hour to tour the portion that is open to visitors. The throngs of thousands of visitors and pilgrims pushing through made it a little difficult and some in the group complained that the incense and the burning of yak butter candles made it difficult to breathe. Potala palace is a working site where monks still live and practice and pilgrims come to pay their respect.

Overall Viking took the altitude into consideration and did not overwhelm us with activities, especially on the day of arrival so that that we had time to rest and adjust. It is diffcult to determine if or when someone may experience symptoms. We had an 80+ year old in our group who never felt anything, but she did not attempt to climb to the palace. Gao the guide said it affected him differently every time he went, where sometimes he had no symptoms. On this trip he had the headache and wasn't feeling well until he started taking the medication. He also said that he doesn't really eat when in Tibet.

Another issue to consider when looking at Tibet is that because of the political unrest there may be times when Viking tours cannot come into the area because it might be closed off to foreigners. This could happen on short notice and cannot be predicted, so Viking would deal with that by taking the group to Xi an instead. Xi an is a lovely city that we really enjoyed so spending extra time there is not bad. Two travelors in our group were not allowed to enter Tibet because they had forgotten to send Viking their Chinese visa for entry into Tibet. I understand that Tibet only approves these entry visa about a week prior to entry, so Viking handles that after you send them a copy of the China visa.

I hope this helps in trying to make a decision.

The China based crew is amazing in the best of circumstances so it does not surprise me that they surpassed themselves when the chips were down. I am sure that they worked very hard to make alternative housing, touring and flight arrangements for the three hundred passengers plus guides while also having to make arrangements to have the ship restocked in Wuhan when it should have been in Chongqin--all on short notice and in peak season.

Here's how to handle the complainers. Smile, take a good look at who you are talking to and then WALK AWAY without saying a word. Then, avoid them for the rest of the trip because they are dead set on ruining your trip, too.

I second that, it is exactly what I did too. I would also mention that all the extra accommodations and flights are costing Viking a lot of money that wasn't build into the cruise price. So they must be operating at a loss in these circumstances. Viking absolutely deserves credit for making this happen and still ensured that people had a good trip. The alternative could have been that they would send us back home instead.

I was a first time Viking travelor and they earned my respect.

Re: altitude sickness--got it in Peru and was never so sick. Took me about 3 mos to really get over it. My family doc and her DH went to China and Nepal and she got so sick that they journeyed on to their next stop 2 days early. They were touring on there own. She said that she really didn'tcare for the side effects. I would insist on the med and take if needed. Pat

bayerisch - I am glad that you got to visit Tibet, as this really was one of the highlights of my Viking tour and I hope to return there in the future. It is a shame that you required medical attention, but understandable as the altitude did seriously affect a few members of my group as I have mentioned before

Sean :)

We leave for Imperial Jewels in early October out of Beijing and have yet to find any info on cc about the extension trip to Hong Kong. Has anyone done it or can anyone point me to some post that I might have missed. I'm also starting top think about clothes (I know it's early) but with the rainy weather and being October I'd really appreciate some ideas!!

:)

We leave for Imperial Jewels in early October out of Beijing and have yet to find any info on cc about the extension trip to Hong Kong. Has anyone done it or can anyone point me to some post that I might have missed. I'm also starting top think about clothes (I know it's early) but with the rainy weather and being October I'd really appreciate some ideas!!

Now that you mention it, I don't recall too many people writing about Hong Kong (except that the weight limits for airline baggage and carry ons are strictly enforced). Did you do a search on the original "Viking China" thread (link is below)? If not, you might want to take a few minutes to do that, and limit your review of any responses to the most recent posts, which were from the 2010 and 2011 seasons... Just a thought.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=252201&highlight=hong+kong

As for clothing: layers! :)

bayerisch - I am glad that you got to visit Tibet, as this really was one of the highlights of my Viking tour and I hope to return there in the future. It is a shame that you required medical attention, but understandable as the altitude did seriously affect a few members of my group as I have mentioned before

Sean :)

Sean, where you there after the St. Regis opened? I was so tickled when I had ordered room service for a banana to calm my stomach and the butler delivered it, wearing white gloves with silver service and linen. That hotel is awesome and the staff incredible. I have never been in a place like this. I noticed the penthouse on the roof where Brad Pit stays when he visits. The view is unforgettable and so are the rooms.

You are correct that Tibet is the highlight and I am glad I got to see it. Would I return? I don't know. Perhaps the fact that I was so sick may scare me a bit, I was the sickest in my group. Also the fact that I waited too long to ask for help and the fact that I traveled alone may be a factor.

Most everywhere I was I had wished for more time to spend, alas, you can't see everything in a limited amount of time.

What time of the year did you see Tibet?

:)

Now that you mention it, I don't recall too many people writing about Hong Kong (except that the weight limits for airline baggage and carry ons are strictly enforced). Did you do a search on the original "Viking China" thread (link is below)? If not, you might want to take a few minutes to do that, and limit your review of any responses to the most recent posts, which were from the 2010 and 2011 seasons... Just a thought.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=252201&highlight=hong+kong

As for clothing: layers! :)

I don't remember that much discussion in Viking China, Part One either, other than as you said about the baggage limits. Perhaps there is some discussion in the Ports of Call boards and failing that, Trip Advisor.

If you have any specific questions, especially if they are Viking related, you can ask them here. You never know how many past guests are still following this thread and may have an answer for you.

Current plans for the Emerald are to sail between Wuhan and the Three Gorges Dam until August 7. There are a lot of ships sitting waiting for those locks so it will take some time for the gridlock to clear once the locks are reopened. Of course this is unofficial information coming from my sources in management on the Emerald...not from Viking itself. The Emerald is currently docked in Wuhan with passengers on board.

I would love an update on the status of the Emerald and whether it is back to a full cruise and able to go through the lock. I was reading an article on that murder trial in Chongqing and it mentioned the "driving rain" yesturday. My TA called Viking and, as others have reported, they know nothing about the weather or any changes to the schedule. I realize the weather is not Viking's fault and that they will do their best but not providing us with information is really gauling and is treating their passengers like we don't know what's going on.

I'm looking so forward to this trip and I'm going at the end of the month. Does anyone have an update on the status of the cruise. Thanks:confused:

I would love an update on the status of the Emerald and whether it is back to a full cruise and able to go through the lock. I was reading an article on that murder trial in Chongqing and it mentioned the "driving rain" yesturday. My TA called Viking and, as others have reported, they know nothing about the weather or any changes to the schedule. I realize the weather is not Viking's fault and that they will do their best but not providing us with information is really gauling and is treating their passengers like we don't know what's going on.

I'm looking so forward to this trip and I'm going at the end of the month. Does anyone have an update on the status of the cruise. Thanks:confused:

The Emerald arrived in ChongQing on August 7th local time and should be on its way to Nanjing currently. There is nothing to indicate that the tours would not be proceeding as scheduled.

ChongQing is a foggy city which experiences monsoon rains in the summer. In August ChongQing averages almost 7 inches of rain spread across 11 days.

The Emerald arrived in ChongQing on August 7th local time and should be on its way to Nanjing currently. There is nothing to indicate that the tours would not be proceeding as scheduled.

ChongQing is a foggy city which experiences monsoon rains in the summer. In August ChongQing averages almost 7 inches of rain spread across 11 days.

This the first time anyone has had info as to The Emerald making it through the locks. Someone should tell Viking because they don't seem to have a clue, or at least they refuse to tell their clients anything helpful. I called 4 times with the same patented statement...that are no changes to the itinerary, despite reports to the contrary. We are on the Aug 15th sailing out of Shanghai for the 17 day trip and have read reports of 3 typhoons hitting Eastern China in one week, flights cancelled, unbelievable flooding, many lives lost, 1 million plus evacuated, flood waters reaching Chongqing city center etc. We are trying to keep positive but its a real strain especially when Viking has not been forthcoming. For me, being up front is so important for developing a good relationship. This is our first time with them. Thanks again for the input.. its has really helped. Please keep us posted with any additional information. you are our only source of info at this time. Anyone else have anything to add?

This the first time anyone has had info as to The Emerald making it through the locks. Someone should tell Viking because they don't seem to have a clue

When you call Viking you're calling the sales and customer service department. These are not the management or logistics people. Some of those staff are working on the issues at hand specifically in China not selling cruises around the world.

This is "normal" corporate behavior. Call a car dealership and you will talk to a salesperson. The mechanics aren't given access to phones. It doesn't matter what business it is unless it's a sole proprietorship this is SOP. These forums are full of people noticing/reporting cruise company customer service people don't always know everything senior management does. This should not be a surprise.

Viking is dealing with thousands of customers/clients at any given point in time, not just you. This is the whole reason forums like this exist. People share information "from the front lines" in ways corporations cannot respond. It works in many industries and not just travel. Research on places such as Cruise Critic is also how we know about the monsoons in Asia (just one of the reasons prices are lower during monsoon season just as prices are lower in the Carribean during hurricane season.) This should also not be a surprise.

Edited by kbert92069

Thank you Kohola!! It makes me feel so much better. Like bnkCC I'm wondering why Viking couldn't have said that. China is a trip of a lifetime and you can't help but worry that you won't get the full experience even if it is because of something you can't control like the weather.

Thanks to all the advice I'll minimze the sunscreen I pack and include a rain poncho. If you get any further updates please post them.

Thank you Kohola!! It makes me feel so much better. Like bnkCC I'm wondering why Viking couldn't have said that. China is a trip of a lifetime and you can't help but worry that you won't get the full experience even if it is because of something you can't control like the weather.

Real time...the Emerald is currently at the Three Gorges Dam on 8/10/12 at 11pm local time ready to transit the locks and continue downstream. Downstream you navigate the locks in the wee hours of the morning and upstream in late afternoon if the ship is operating on schedule.

ChongQing is fine per my friend that lives there, but understand ChongQing encompasses a very large area with an urban population of some 32 million. She doesn't live far from the Yangtze. She told me they've had bright sunshine the last few days.

I asked someone on the Emerald about the conditions downstream of the dam and will post if I find out anything pertinent. Language barriers are always an issue.