Birthday Certificate + license

I have a question, I go in a Cruise next week and while checking the documentation, I notice that in the Drivers License my name shows as (fake name here) John Smith-Johnson and my Birthday Certificate shows John Smith, will I have any issues on the port?

Thanks.

What happened to the Johnson? Isn't that your last name?

At what point did you drop it?

Yes, it might raise a question.

Get a passport in your proper, legal name, IMO.

That would solve any difficulty.

If you're a woman, then your married name will never be on your Birth Certificate. They will be comparing birthdates on DL and BC.

Since the "smith" part of your name is on your DL and BC, I don't think you'll have a problem.

My maiden name, on my BC, is "Jane Anne Doe"

My married name is, on my DL, "Jane Doe Smith"

Had no problems when we used BCs. Now we have passports.

Since your name does not match exactly there might (slight chance) be a problem. On rare occassions women are asked for a bridging document for a name change. Should be true for men also.

A lot depends on who is checkin you in.

When arriving back into the States you might get more questions to establish who you are.

Confirm that you BC is a true, verified copy listing parents names etc. A hospital record won't be accepted.

Just bring along your marriage certificate - that should solve the problem. But you really should have a passport for the future, so when you get back from your cruise, be sure to get one. They are good for many, many years, so it is well worth it to get a passport even if you don't have any plans to travel outside the US right now.

I have a question, I go in a Cruise next week and while checking the documentation, I notice that in the Drivers License my name shows as (fake name here) John Smith-Johnson and my Birthday Certificate shows John Smith, will I have any issues on the port?

Thanks.

Probably not, but it might depend on how and when the "-Johnson" became part of your name. If it's a joint parental name, that will likely show on your BC. If it is an entirely new name, such as acquired by marriage, you could be asked for a bridging document. It could also depend on which cruise line your are taking.

Archived