Tahitian Princess / New Port Charges

Longhorn Cruiser

Yup, unfortunately, we have the same charge added to our cruise personalizer. It seems you can pay for it now by using the Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website (that is if you don't want to see the expense on your shipboard charge).

~Suzy

"Our" Maiden Voyage: Tahitian Princess Aug. 25

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;08;25;12;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deb&Tom:

Does anyone know when this new port fee becomes effective? We are on the June 6th sailing and haven't heard anything about the new fee.

Thanks.

Deb<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Longhorn Cruiser is on the June 26th sailing and got hit with the new tax, so I'm assuming that you will get it as well. I'm on the August 15th cruise and just forked out $98 to cover this. You can check on the Cruise Personalizer on the Princess website to see if you have been charged the additional tax.

I guess that there's nothing that Princess can do if this is a new French Polynesian tax, but I am very disappointed with their method (or lack of) disseminating this information. The charge simply appears without any description on the Cruise Personalizer. They have my email and plaster me with offers, but they can't send out a clarifying email on this charge? Maybe that communication is on its way, but it would have been nice to have it before getting charged. If it wasn't for this board I would have had no clue that I had a new charge on my account OR (more importantly) what that charge was for.

Now I'm really confused - I've posted several messages on different threads regarding this today.

Deb & tom - found you over here - hope we are not affected by this tax - did hear that June passengers weren't affected, but my TA is telling we will be charged...grrr! And I wanted to spend that money on the special repelling shoes icon_wink.gif (sorry folks, our litle joke)

lyprynne - can you tell me exactly where on the Cruise Personalizer I would see the charge? I have just logged on for a look and can't see anything...help please! Thanks.

Princess called us today to let us know that the port charges have increased and we need to add $98.00 to our cruise fare.

Still worth it for the best cruise in paradise.

This we'll be our FOURTH cruise on the ship in French Ploynesia!! icon_biggrin.gif

Norwegian Dream Mediterranean/Holy Lands 10/99

Carnival Holiday Ensenada 1/00

Renaissance R4 Tahiti 10/00

Renaissance R4 Tahiti 4/01

Windspirit Costa Rica 1/02

Windsurf Southern Caribbean 1/03

Tahitian Princess Tahiti 10/03

Dawn Princess Southern Caribbean 4/04

10/14/04 Tahitian Princess Polynesia/Cook Islands

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;10;14;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-1000

12/23/04 Dawn Princess Western Caribbean Cruise

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;12;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

robynp and llarsen:

I logged in to the Cruise Personalizer after seeing the posts about this and clicked on “Balance and Payments†on the left. My account showed a $98 balance (two passengers). I have seen some posts stating that the tax will be added to your onboard account. I haven’t set up a credit card for my onboard account yet, so maybe that is why I am seeing the charge on this page. I also have a corporate discount that requires that I pay the entire balance and that may be the reason that I am seeing the charge. The charge appeared on 27 April and also had a due date of 27 April. icon_frown.gif That’s the reason that I’m a little ticked off at Princess. I don’t know if they would cancel my cruise over a $100 unpaid charge, but stranger things have happened (especially with automated systems). I really would have liked an email or some other communication on this. Thank goodness for this board. icon_smile.gif

That said, I AM sort of glad that it is showing here, because I would not want to start my cruise with a “mystery charge†of $98 on my account. icon_eek.gif

Here’s some info from another post:

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=887097554&m=802104851

“Just received a fax from Princess indicating the French Polynesia has imposed a government tax charge for cruise & tourism guests of $49.00/pp. This tax will be added to your shipboard account by Princess Cruises.â€

lyprynne - thanks for the info. Didn't show up on my Personalizer - maybe because we have paid for the cruise in full and I have registered a credit card. So now I can expect the charge to show up on my shipboard account.

The tax (not necessarily a "port charge", but a tourism tax affecting all visitors) was only introduced by the FP government on Tuesday 27th, so I suppose a lot of people just haven't been given the information yet, seeing as it is so recent.

I bet it's a not too pleasant surprise for FP visitors flying in and spending their whole vacation at a hotel. If they were mid-air on the way there, they wouldn't have known until arrival at their hotel icon_eek.gif

Surprised you have not gotten a call or email from your Travel Agent yet. We don't sail until October and we already have gotten the word about the added taxes. $49pp for the Cook Islands Itinerary and $70 for the Marquesas (sp sorry)

Tahitian Princess 10/14/04

RCI-Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal.

One Phantom Booking still open with Princess.

Here is the Schedule:

PACIFIC PRINCESS:

Voyage: K420 (17 Aug., 12 days, HNL-PPT) $28

Voyage: K421 (27 Aug., 24 days, PPT-FLL) $21

TAHITIAN PRINCESS:

VOYAGE:

T421 - $21

T422 (26 July) through T429 - $49

T430/T432/T436 - $49

T431/T433/T435 - $70

Year 2005:

T502/T504/T506/T508/T509/T510/T511 - $49

T503/T505/T507 - $70

Notices were sent on 26 and 27 April. I cannot account for the pricing differences - Only the French-Tahitians know. I received my Notice today. $49 for a single for 4 September 2004, Cook Islands. When I add Annmarie, it will be another $49.

Robyn, your sailing is not on the list but perhaps PC overlooked typing it into the list. For the Good News, read my other post, "Look What's New." (Especially for My Dear Ozzie Friends).

A Smile is just a little curve that sets a lot of things Straight.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Archived