Hapag-Lloyd Europa.

English Voyager

I appreciate that the Europa no longer offers International Cruises to non German speaking guests.

I have read the review on the Europa posted in August by MsSommelier, and wondered if any native English, non German, speaking passenger has recently cruised on the Europa, and, if so, would care to share their thoughts on their experience.

Thank you.

140 views and sadly not a single reply! Perhaps no one has yet dared try this, or at least not enough people have to have a subset that post. Shall we be trailblazers? :)

My TA contacted Hapag-Lloyd who confirmed that although Menus would be provided in English everything else, including announcements from the bridge, would be in German.

I am however tempted by a particular 16 day cruise from Gran Canaria to Cape Town which visits some of the Ports of Call described by you in your current thread.

it is difficult to give you decent advises - being Belgian i do speak and understand German ...

the ship just underwent another refurbishment last fall. She is not a smaller copy of the Europa 2.

the atmosphere is far more formal as on Europa 2 - with welcome and farewell parties ( with real French Champagne ) and special dinners on those evening with very nice food.

Jackets and ties are compulsory on quite some evenings.

If you want to escape the dress code there is still the Lido upstairs where - contrarely to Europa 2 - you can make table reservations.

The food in that informal place is very good with a special theme every meal : French, salmon , pasta, seafood , oysters , steak , pizza...

do not expect the traditional cruise dishes like beef wellington, chicken Kiev and similar

on seadays aside from the great breakfast there are some 10 specialities : gooseliver , beef tartar , tuna fish , mini filet served with champagne

the Sansibar is not open for late breakfast but you can eat late breakfast in the Dieter Muller restaurant. The MDR called Europa restaurant is open every day for lunch.

there is also a Bavarian lunch with free beer

the Italian restaurant Venezia is serving more traditional Italian food.

concerning the entertainment : announcements are in german

life boat drill is done separately for non german speaking guests - i 'll be honest there a very few.

For dinner in the Europa restaurant there are allocated places .

Since i do have problems with the changes ( cutbacks ) on other "five starred " companies , i like both the Europa and the Europa 2 very much.

The itineraries are very attractive, but I am not willing to sail in remote locations with passengers who love formal attire. The language is not an issue for me. On American ships, I have avoided the few formal nights which was easy to do because many fellow passengers didn't care for tuxedos and gowns either. Sailing along the coast of Africa is simply not the same as going to the opera ball in Vienna.

Edited by Floridiana

Vistaman,

Thank you for providing me with so much useful information.

There are two Cruise Shows held in London in January, and February each year at which Hapag-Lloyd attend, and it was at the January Show last year that I met Michael Stiffl.

I am due to leave tomorrow for a short cruise on the Queen Victoria, so I will miss the Show organised by The Telegraph.

However I hope to attend the February Show, and have the opportunity of discussing Europa cruises direct with Hapag-Lloyd.

The itineraries are very attractive, but I am not willing to sail in remote locations with passengers who love formal attire. The language is not an issue for me. On American ships, I have avoided the few formal nights which was easy to do because many fellow passengers didn't care for tuxedos and gowns either. Sailing along the coast of Africa is simply not the same as going to the opera ball in Vienna.

And yet Cunard's adherence to formal nights proves very popular.

In fact on my imminent seven day cruise, which is sold out, on the Queen Victoria there are two formal nights, and the remainder are jacket and tie for men.

You can avoid the formal nights by going to the buffet restaurant or using room service. But even on formal nights there is no need for a tux - a suit and tie is enough.

[quote name=English Voyager;48642331

However I hope to attend the February Show' date=' and have the opportunity of discussing Europa cruises direct with Hapag-Lloyd.[/quote]

Please do report on your findings.

Best for a great Cunard cruise.

Edited by ededmd

Vistaman,

Thank you for providing me with so much useful information.

There are two Cruise Shows held in London in January, and February each year at which Hapag-Lloyd attend, and it was at the January Show last year that I met Michael Stiffl.

I am due to leave tomorrow for a short cruise on the Queen Victoria, so I will miss the Show organised by The Telegraph.

However I hope to attend the February Show, and have the opportunity of discussing Europa cruises direct with Hapag-Lloyd.

enjoy the Queen V - untill 1999 i did a lot Cunard especially Vistafjord cruises but as i am so in food and wines i have to do a Grill what i cannot do as a single ( too expensive )

i add two more dining info's about Europa

on formal nights when caviar is served - you can ask for caviar in the Lido as well - 2 waiters are bringing it from the restaurant - one with the iced caviar in silver the other with the condiments ;)

on longer cruises they are doing some specials in the dining room as well :

pasta with fresh truffes - your plate topped by one of the headwaiters , beef tartar and crêpes suzettes made in front of you at the entrance

and a dinner "favourites of our chefs " when the chef , sous chefs and some assistants and pastry chef each are suggesting a dish

afterwards the team is introduced by the head chef to the guests and you receive a marzipan

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Yesterday, at The London Cruise Show, I met Michael Steffl, Hapag-Lloyd's International Sales Manager, who advised that on the MS Europa the only service provided as standard to a solely English speaking passenger would be the provision of menus in English.

Services such as lectures, the daily programme, and announcements would only be in German,

However, most, if not all, staff speak English and would assist a non German speaking passenger.