Rental Car easiest in San Diego post cruise

mattR

There are many rental car companies within 8-10 blocks of the cruise ship terminal, but if you want to get one immediately upon getting off the ship, the closest is the Avis location at Kettner and Ash (1670 Kettner Blvd, Suite 1, tel. 619-231-7137). Their hours are not as good as those closer to the airport, so check with them directly about the hours they are open. It is about a 3 block walk.

We are cruising in November out of San Diego. I call Avis airport location and was told that they would pick us up at the cruise port if we called them when we get off the boat. So, I made reservation with Avis. Alamo told me that they do not pick up at cruise port. I didn't call any other car rental agencies.

Hello,

Avis is the closest car rental agency to San Diego's cruise ship terminal. Please note that I must respectfully disagree with the poster who advised that this office is abut three blocks from the terminal.

I have used this Avis office several times, and it is considerably farther from the terminal than a three block walk. You can walk it because it is a pleasant walk but not with luggage. And as i recall, the car rental agencies at the San Diego Airport do not serve the port, necessitating a cab ride.

It is 3 blocks....3 LONG blocks, but 3 blocks. You walk along Harbor drive to the first street (Ash), cross Harbor drive at Ash then cross one more street before you get to Kettner. It is on the corner of Ash and Kettner. It is the closest, but there are many others. There is no need to go to the airport...they will just shuttle you back to their actual rental location which will be closer to the pier.

I don't recommend hauling luggage there. When disembarking, one person can easily walk over there and get the car while the rest of the party is gathering and guarding the luggage, then the first person can drive back and pick them up on the pier. Easily done. If dropping off the car, take your party to the pier first, then drop off the car and walk back to the pier.

We are cruising in November out of San Diego. I call Avis airport location and was told that they would pick us up at the cruise port if we called them when we get off the boat. So, I made reservation with Avis. Alamo told me that they do not pick up at cruise port. I didn't call any other car rental agencies.

Do any other rental car agencys provide pick-up service?

I priced out renting from the Avis port location and returning to the airport location and the price was alot more then just renting and returning from the airport.

I priced out renting from the Avis port location and returning to the airport location and the price was alot more then just renting and returning from the airport.

It will be much cheaper to pick it up at the same location where you intend to drop it off.

The Avis port and airport are the same locations. The cruise port is only a couple of miles from the airport and Avis is located between them

The Avis port and airport are the same locations. The cruise port is only a couple of miles from the airport and Avis is located between them

That is not correct. The downtown (pier) location is at 1670 Kettner Blvd, Suite 1, tel. (619) 231-7137‎. The airport location is 3180 N Harbor Dr, tel. (619) 688-5000‎.

• 2 weeks later...

So I called some more rental places and almost all the Airport sites do not offer a shuttle service. Hertz said they will pick up with in 15min so will have to call the local agancey and Budget said they pick up from across the street at Park N go but that dosen't sound like a good option. Budget said they would pick-up but for the 1670 Kettner location which dosn't work as we need to return to the airport anf the price doubles if we do that. If cab fare is only $10 can we just take a cab to one of the Airport rental companies directly? I will try calling some of the local stations rather then the 1-800 #'s tomorrow. Anyone else have any luck with getting shuttle service to a airport rental location from the ship?

I've made a reservation with Hertz on-line using their San Diego Cruise Terminal location (serviced by the airport location). The website says they run a shuttle for pickup at the pier every 20 minutes for the first 2 hours after the ship docks, or they will reimburse for a taxi up to $5. Not sure how it will work for the drop off at the end of the day, but sounds easy for the pick up since the airport is only about 2 miles away.

• 2 weeks later...

Good info on the car rentals.

I'm thinking of grabbing a cab to either the Dollar or the Thrifty rental car agencies located by Laurel Street and Pacific Highway. It looks to be about a mile away.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I would assume these rental agencies offer shuttle service to the airport since they appear to be their "Airport" locations.

• 3 years later...

Thank you so much for this info. I did a live chat with Avis and the guy on the other end had no info. at all. Stumbled on your post and got all the info I needed. Don't know yet if we'll attempt the hike but I know taxis are available so that would work also. Looking forward to our Panama Canal cruise in Oct.

I know this is a 4 year old thread but the airport car rental agencies do service the port. Did a one-way rental to San Diego and Hertz's shuttle took us to port. So does Budget.

Archived