Tropical depression

Ok I know this has been covered a thousand times. But this is the first time I'm going to be possibly affected. When does the cruise line adjust their itinerary if they are going to do so?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ok I know this has been covered a thousand times. But this is the first time I'm going to be possibly affected. When does the cruise line adjust their itinerary if they are going to do so?

There's no set time, they adjust the itinerary when they decide it's necessary.

They wait as long as they can.....so usually at the last minute.

Depends on how big the depression is and how fast it's moving plus where they are intending on travelling

They have information well in advance today with all the weather satellites etc and their aim is passenger comfort so will divert cruises more readily now where used to sail through them

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It depends, could be as close as the day before a scheduled port.

My answer is when they have to.

or even the day of a cruise port stop if weather conditions are forecasted to worsen later that day, especially if there is tendering required. We've had this happen a few times at tender ports.

A few years back when we arrived at Guernsey in the Channel Islands the weather was fine but we couldn't get off the ship since there was a gale expected to hit that area later that afternoon which would have severely impacted tendering so we sailed on to our next port as Captain stated in his announcement he didn't want to chance having passengers stranded onshore.

Also same situation has happen with one of our Grand Cayman cruise stop.

Edited by robtulipe

"As of 5pm Tuesday, the National Hurricane Center says Tropical Depression Two continues to move quickly westward toward the Lesser Antilles.

The 5pm advisory from the NHC has Tropical Depression #2 with winds of 35 mph, pressure is 1012 mb and is moving West at 18 mph. The storm is located about 800 miles East of the Lesser Antilles.

As the system continues to track to the west it will begin to encounter some very dry air, which limits the storm from strengthening. The forecast keeps the storm as a Tropical Depression with winds at only 35 mph for the next two days. By Thursday, the storm is forecast to weaken to a remnant area of low pressure. As this remnant low moves through the Caribbean it will still produce heavy rainfall."

Closer...........we were literally chased out of St. Maarten by a hurricane. They only let us off the ship if we knew we had to RUN back to the ship if the whistle started blowing. We left at noon, the hurricane hit at 5pm.

Some lady that night was livid we were skipping St. Thomas and her jewelry shopping stop. I had to laugh when the staff person kept saying, "But, madam, there's a HURRICANE in St. Thomas tomorrow!".

Last advisory on TD2 issued today at 11am. It had dissipated to a tropical wave (which happen ALL the time in the Caribbean and really mean nothing much - maybe some heavy showers, maybe). At the time, still 500 miles north/northeast of Barbados.....no affect on any of the islands....except possibly some much, much needed showers as most all of the islands are in the midst of a severe drought.

No need to worry about any of your saiings.....

pffft, that's just a summer rainstorm. Says the Floridian.. ;)

All surgery is minor until it happens to you

Drawing the comparison of perspective. What one perceives as small is only so until it happens to them.

Drawing the comparison of perspective. What one perceives as small is only so until it happens to them.

Tropical Depression: A tropical system in which the maximum sustained surface wind is 33 knots (38 mph) or less.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by FLACRUISER99