Last day of Monarch of the seas announced

Royal Caribbean International's oldest cruise ship, the Monarch of the Seas, will transfer out of the fleet in April 2013.

Built in 1991, the 2,390-passenger ship will be transferred to Royal Caribbean's Madrid-based sister company, Pullmantur Cruises, on April 1, 2013.

The Monarch currently sails three- and four-night round-trip Bahamas cruises from Port Canaveral. It will embark on its last sailing for Royal Caribbean on March 29, 2013.

Royal Caribbean said a potential replacement for the ship's short Bahamas product would be announced in the coming months.

"She will go on creating wonderful travel memories through her final sailings for our brand through next March and then continue doing the same for Pullmantur's guests," said Adam Goldstein, president and CEO of Royal Caribbean International, in a statement.

The Monarch will increase Pullmantur's total guest capacity by nearly 25%, and bring the Spanish line's fleet of former Royal Caribbean Cruises family ships to five. The line currently operates the Monarch's sister-ship, the former Sovereign of the Seas, as well as the former Empress of the Seas, Celebrity Zenith and Celebrity Horizon.

With the reduction, Royal Caribbean will have 21 cruise ships. The line said that it has not booked anyone on the ship after March 2013, so there's no need to re-accommodate any passengers

Wonder which ship will replace Monarch?

Well, the writing was on the wall. It will be sad to see her go because Monarch was my first RCI cruise, and was the ship that got me hooked on this cruise line. Now the question is, when will Majesty go?

Was thinking the same thing Paul Majesty probaly will be next

I think i want to go ahead and book that March 29th 2013 cruise.

I personally will be sad to see her go. She wasnt my first cruise but she WAS my first Royal caribbean cruise and what hooked me on RCI.

am i wrong...........i thought i knew the smaller ships and thought the majesty was now the oldest. I thought it was the sovereign then the

majesty and then came the monarch.

With the sovereign gone of the three i considered the majesty the oldest

but thought the monarch was the newest of the 3 ships.

does anyone know which order it is.

am i wrong...........i thought i knew the smaller ships and thought the majesty was now the oldest. I thought it was the sovereign then the

majesty and then came the monarch.

With the sovereign gone of the three i considered the majesty the oldest

but thought the monarch was the newest of the 3 ships.

does anyone know which order it is.

Sovereign of the Seas -- 16 January, 1988

Monarch of the Seas -- 11 November, 1991

Majesty of the Seas -- 4 April, 1992

:)

Our first cruise with Royal was on the Monarch and we loved it so much that we went the following year again on the Monarch. I think it was 1993. We have fond memories about the Monarch sorry to see her go

I have no special connections to the Monarch, yet. I've got a sailing on her for this September. Looking forward to sailing on her before she leaves the fleet. Everyone has favorite ships, or the ship that started it all. Despite all the advances and changes we still maintain our attachment to them. It's good to know she will still be sailing and providing wonderful memories. From all I have read about her she may be old but she hasn't stopped providing the "wow" for many many people.

While the Monarch was not my first cruise overall (HAL Ryndam). She was my first on RCCL. The Monarch and her crew provided me the WOW, and convinced me that RCCL was my cruiline of choice to travel.

I would love to book the Monarch's last 3-day but the prices for a solo are way to high :(. I was looking deck 8 OV and it was over $850!! I will try and sail on her one last time later this year. Hopefully I can swing a cruise between my August and December cruises.

I would like to take time to say THANK YOU to the Monarch and her crew for great memories.

Well, the March 29 cruise now has a roll call :D

I am NOT happy about the price though. Good grief :(

Still, I have never sailed on the Monarch, but sailed on the Sovereign and the Majesty so I want to complete the set.

We've sailed on the Monarch 6 times; mostly because it's about an hour away from our house & the prices have always been good. We once had a 5 day which some of you will doubt, but it's true (we had to stay out an extra day because the port was closed due to a hurricane) Waves breaking over the pool deck was unsettling to some but our son thought that being at the highest point forward was "the best ever"

The only thing I don't like about the Monarch is that they changed the policy of having bar stools around the pool bar - Bummer!

Archived