Tobago

mu1809

Spent Wednesday in Tobago (on Celebrity Summit cruise). We took taxi to the fort for photo opportunity and then on to Pigeon Point Beach. We paid $20 total for the two of us (taxi cost to fort and then beach)and then we paid $10 to get back to the ship at the end of the day. We did the Bucco Reef/Nylon Pool trip from the beach and it was $15 apiece. Entry to Pigeon Point was $3 each and chairs were $2 each. The were no umbrellas to rent, but there is plenty of shade available from the palm trees. There are a few shops, a bar and a snack bar/restaurant. Down the beach further (to your right when looking at the water) is another food stand with local ladies cooking up flying fish, shark and I think maybe burgers, plus ice cream treats and beverages. We had a huge plate of shark, fries and coleslaw for $7. Delicious! On way back to ship, there are a very nice husband and wife selling beautiful Tshirts that they have designed and silk screened ($15-17). You will find them outside the cruise terminal (on the side closest to the ships, not the road). Nicest tshirts we saw on the trip. Scarbourgh is very small and has very little shopping, but it is a beautiful island. I would like to go back and spend a week !

We want to do the same thing from Pigeon Beach to Nylon Pools/Bucco Reef. Will the tour give us enough time to snorkel there? I don't want to just do a glass bottom boat. Is it 2 different stops??? Any info will be much appreciated. We are leaving on Saturday on the Summit.

Spent Wednesday in Tobago (on Celebrity Summit cruise). We took taxi to the fort for photo opportunity and then on to Pigeon Point Beach. We paid $20 total for the two of us (taxi cost to fort and then beach)and then we paid $10 to get back to the ship at the end of the day. We did the Bucco Reef/Nylon Pool trip from the beach and it was $15 apiece. Entry to Pigeon Point was $3 each and chairs were $2 each. The were no umbrellas to rent, but there is plenty of shade available from the palm trees. There are a few shops, a bar and a snack bar/restaurant. Down the beach further (to your right when looking at the water) is another food stand with local ladies cooking up flying fish, shark and I think maybe burgers, plus ice cream treats and beverages. We had a huge plate of shark, fries and coleslaw for $7. Delicious! On way back to ship, there are a very nice husband and wife selling beautiful Tshirts that they have designed and silk screened ($15-17). You will find them outside the cruise terminal (on the side closest to the ships, not the road). Nicest tshirts we saw on the trip. Scarbourgh is very small and has very little shopping, but it is a beautiful island. I would like to go back and spend a week !

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a great day!

• 3 weeks later...

MU1809 - hm, are you a Miami grad? Me too! We also went to the fort from the Summit, but we walked. If you do that, go EARLY before it gets too hot. We met a fun guy selling trinkets there - thought his name was "Famadon" but then realized it was "Farmer Dan..." We enjoyed the walk up because you get a feel for the country. Then we took a taxi to Pigeon Point but I think maybe we got ripped off because we paid $20 each way for the 2 of us, plus the $3 entry. Ah well, it was a pretty place to spend a few hours. Once you get past the gauntlet of taxi drivers and pseudo-taxi drivers, it's a nice place with nice people.

MU1809 - hm, are you a Miami grad? Me too! We also went to the fort from the Summit, but we walked. If you do that, go EARLY before it gets too hot. We met a fun guy selling trinkets there - thought his name was "Famadon" but then realized it was "Farmer Dan..." We enjoyed the walk up because you get a feel for the country. Then we took a taxi to Pigeon Point but I think maybe we got ripped off because we paid $20 each way for the 2 of us, plus the $3 entry. Ah well, it was a pretty place to spend a few hours. Once you get past the gauntlet of taxi drivers and pseudo-taxi drivers, it's a nice place with nice people.

How long did the walk to the fort take you?

How much time did you spend at the fort?

Any problem getting a taxi at the fort to Pigeon Point?

Has anyone gone to the botanical gardens in Scarborough?

We would like to go to the gardens, the fort, and Pigeon Point and take the glass bottom boat to Buccoo Reef and Nylon Pool. Trying to decide what order to take things and if that is too much to do in one day. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

How long did the walk to the fort take you?

How much time did you spend at the fort?

Any problem getting a taxi at the fort to Pigeon Point?

Has anyone gone to the botanical gardens in Scarborough?

We would like to go to the gardens, the fort, and Pigeon Point and take the glass bottom boat to Buccoo Reef and Nylon Pool. Trying to decide what order to take things and if that is too much to do in one day. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks!

The Walk from the Port to the Fort is all up hill. If you are fit you can do it in about 25mins. The fort area is very small, you can do it in 30-45mins, depends on how many pics you want to take. This is how I would do it.

Negotiate with a taxi to take you to the fort and wait for you and then go to Pigeon point with the taxi, let the taxi also pick you up (set a time). If he knows you are giving him all the work he should wait at the fort free of charge. Try you negotiating skills. This way when it,s the hot part of the day you will be relaxing on a lounger on the beach with a cool drink in your hand.

The Walk from the Port to the Fort is all up hill. If you are fit you can do it in about 25mins. The fort area is very small, you can do it in 30-45mins, depends on how many pics you want to take. This is how I would do it.

Negotiate with a taxi to take you to the fort and wait for you and then go to Pigeon point with the taxi, let the taxi also pick you up (set a time). If he knows you are giving him all the work he should wait at the fort free of charge. Try you negotiating skills. This way when it,s the hot part of the day you will be relaxing on a lounger on the beach with a cool drink in your hand.

Thanks for the suggestions! (thanks for the 411 on the uphill climb - we walked from the ship to the Citadel in Halifax - sounds like a similar walk)

Have you been to the gardens? Perhaps we should leave that til last... have the cab drop us off at the gardens when we come back from Pigeon Point and we can walk around there before we have to return to the ship.

• 5 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...