FREE Luxury Hotel Package

Rally

What's next? I am waiting for some company to offer to pay me to cruise =) Here is today's email:

As your thoughts turn to planning next year's vacation, I have some exciting news to share with you! In speaking with our guests and travel partners alike, nothing has proven to generate as much excitement and positive feedback as our trademark FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions.

I am delighted to announce that Regent Seven Seas Cruises will once again lead the way in providing the best value in luxury cruise vacations with the launch of a FREE Luxury Hotel Package in virtually all of our embarkation cities! This extraordinary offer begins with the following 2011 sailings: Seven Seas Navigator January 7, Seven Seas Mariner April 17 and Seven Seas Voyager June 7.

Now, in addition to 2-for-1 Fares, FREE Roundtrip Air, FREE Unlimited Shore Excursions, Business Class Air upgrades and Bonus Savings – you will enjoy a FREE Luxury Hotel Package including:

• 1-Night pre-cruise hotel accommodations in city of embarkation at a luxury hotel

• Transfers from the airport to the hotel (restrictions apply for cruise-only guests) and from

the hotel to the ship

• Breakfast prior to checkout

• Porterage

This pre-cruise hotel night will give you plenty of time to acclimate before your cruise. Transfers to the ship will be provided, along with breakfast to ensure that you arrive rested and relaxed.

If you have already booked but wish to take advantage of the FREE Luxury Hotel Package, you may do so, but you will be subject to the higher cruise fare, if applicable, announced on October 1, 2010.

When we say "Enjoy – it's all included" ... we mean it!

There's a reason why, once again, Regent Seven Seas Cruises was just voted number one cruise line

in the world by the readers of Condé Nast Traveler. It's our uncompromising dedication to exceeding expectations and delivering unprecedented value – all to ensure your utmost comfort as you experience the world's seven seas.

Our onboard staff is waiting with anticipation to welcome you.

Sincerely,

Mark S. Conroy

President, Regent Seven Seas Cruises

I just saw this, too, and was quite excited thinking it would be very handy for next year's Baltic cruise on Voyager until I saw this line:

If you have already booked but wish to take advantage of the FREE Luxury Hotel Package, you may do so, but you will be subject to the higher cruise fare, if applicable, announced on October 1, 2010.

I wonder just how much the higher cruise fare will be? I've got my TA looking into this for me.

It says higher fare if applicable. I looked up our 11/28/2011 Voyager cruise and the fare is the same as we booked in June. I sent a request to our TA, will let you know how it works out.

Please post the gist of the response. Meanwhile, I'm sending a copy of Mark Conroy's text to my TA.

Are you on the roll call for the cruise? I've just looked at the roll call, and don't see your post (if any). See http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1144281

If you aren't there, please join us on the roll call.

The timing of this announcement is truly sad. While so many await a report on the Voyager, Regent announces a policy very similiar to what they had in the past. If you had Regent air and they could not get you to the embarkation port by 1:00 p.m., they put you up in a hotel (with breakfast, porterage, etc. The same applied if Regent could not get you home from your debarkation point the same day. This is not new. . . . it was done previously. . . . when the prices were considerably lower.

It is good to hear that Regent is reimplementing this policy. . . . . however, where is an update on the Voyager?

It doesn't seem like they are really giving you anything that they are not already giving. If you book your air with Regent they generally fly you in the day before, and therefore give you one night in a hotel with transfers pre-cruise. I don't see what is new. They raised their prices on October 1 (at least the one I booked is a little higher priced) so if you booked before October 1 you would have to pay the higher price to get this deal. Seems to me you would get it anyway. We are booking our air independently as well as our hotel, so it does not matter to us. I am not particularly fond of the hotels they pick anyway.

we took their air when we went to Alaska and they put us up one night in hotel in Anchorage. I have read on these boards that they usually do that because they want to be sure you don't miss the cruise...in case of flight delay, etc. They like to get you there day in advance. Is that not true?

The difference in the past year is that Regent Air is booking passengers on many (too many) red-eye flights to avoid the forced overnight at a hotel. They also have passengers disembarking from the ship at 4:30 a.m. to insure they can get home the same day. Both of these scenarios have happened to us in the past 12 months:(

(Sigh) Only on the Regent forum would an announcement of a new policy that promises something that no other cruise line offers be greeted with such negativity.

Increase the fares? Not if you haven't booked yet, or if your fare was not increased on October 1.

Not a new policy? The old policy was hit or miss, depending on whether they could get you to the ship on the day of embarkation at a decent time. This NEW policy is offered on every cruise at every embarkation port, and effectively means that no one will be asked to arrive the day of the cruise unless they want to.

Did anyone notice that it includes breakfast?

Don't like the hotel? Book a different one and pay for it yourself. Personally, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Think there should be an announcement about Voyager, instead? Ever think that maybe the marketing department doesn't have anything to do with ship operations and repairs?

C'mon, folks -- give them a break. I'm so tired of the negativity on this forum, and I'm glad it usually doesn't extend to the ships.

(Sigh) Only on the Regent forum would an announcement of a new policy that promises something that no other cruise line offers be greeted with such negativity.

Increase the fares? Not if you haven't booked yet, or if your fare was not increased on October 1.

Not a new policy? The old policy was hit or miss, depending on whether they could get you to the ship on the day of embarkation at a decent time. This NEW policy is offered on every cruise at every embarkation port, and effectively means that no one will be asked to arrive the day of the cruise unless they want to.

Did anyone notice that it includes breakfast?

Don't like the hotel? Book a different one and pay for it yourself. Personally, I won't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Think there should be an announcement about Voyager, instead? Ever think that maybe the marketing department doesn't have anything to do with ship operations and repairs?

C'mon, folks -- give them a break. I'm so tired of the negativity on this forum, and I'm glad it usually doesn't extend to the ships.

I didn't feel I was being negative. This was simply very similiar to the policy prior to the past year (see my last post). I posted the fact that Regent put us up in a hotel a couple of times. . . . we were very appreciative.

Unless Regent is structured differently than other companies, the marketing department is responsible for press releases, announcements, etc. Hundreds of people are hoping there will be an announcement from Regent about the Voyager. It would have felt wonderful if the email I received started with a statement that the Voyager is on track to sail out of Athens on October 27th (which I believe it will). This is the second email I've received in the past week from Regent. . . . just want to hear that everything will be okay. Still love Regent. . . . just concerned:o

I am booked on a cruise that the price increased $600 ($300 pp) on October 1. If I were to take the free hotel night I would have to pay the increased fare. To me it seems Regent raises their fares to include all these extras like excursions, hotel nights, etc. I am not complaining. I just don't think we are really getting anything for free.

Don, I couldn't agree with you more. I've booked a Regent Alaskan cruise for next year, and this board is so incredibly negative that I wonder. . .I really wonder if I've made the right decision. Although I know darn well that Cruise Critic board habitues are only a small percentage of Regent's passengers, this board could and probably does turn off many people.

I am not talking about the people who have legitimate issues with the current Voyager problem--they have a right to be anxious and concerned about the investment they made, and how that will shake out. Rather, I'm speaking of those who monopolize the board constantly and who don't even have a dog in the current fight. Perhaps you might want to get a life?

I've cruised Crystal and read and post on their board, and they are polar opposites. The questions that beg to be answered then are these:

1. Is Crystal a much better product and is that why their discussion board is always so positive (somewhat overboard in many cases)?

2. Is Regent really so bad (and no, TravelCat2, I'm not an "unsophisitcated-don't-know-any-better-mass-cruiser" who thinks they've died and gone to heaven when getting on a luxury line).

3. Do the one or two who monopolize simply turn off those who might have more positive messages, and therefore, the positive thoughts never get spoken?

And finally, in my opinion, any business that rests on its laurels, catering only to the loyal ones (the same ones who bitch endlessly on this board) rather than seeking out new clients (even from *gasp* mass cruise lines), are the ones that are doomed to failure.

Harsh though it may sound, if I were the CEO of Regent, I'd be looking for ways to get rid of many of the old guard here.

I can't believe I've said all this, but I've been lurking and reading here for about a month, and I've had it. Yuck!

1. Is Crystal a much better product and is that why their discussion board is always so positive (somewhat overboard in many cases)?

2. Is Regent really so bad (and no, TravelCat2, I'm not an "unsophisitcated-don't-know-any-better-mass-cruiser" who thinks they've died and gone to heaven when getting on a luxury line).

3. Do the one or two who monopolize simply turn off those who might have more positive messages, and therefore, the positive thoughts never get spoken?

1. Don't even want to comment about the Crystal board. Crystal is a totally different experience than Regent.

2. Regent is wonderful. You obviously have only read my feelings on included excursions. I'm one of the biggest Regent cheerleaders and are usually flamed for it. I think you need to take a Regent cruise in order to understand what some statements really mean. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a premium or mass market cruiser. These tend to be the passengers that like Regent the most (hardly a negative statement). Crystal and Seabourn cruisers tend to be very harsh in their reviews of Regent. Those of us who have cruised Regent multiple times over a few years should have own bitching board -- it is too easy to compare last year with this year, etc. If such a board existed, this board could be used solely for balanced comments.

3. There are a group of regulars who "monopolize" the boards -- we enjoy answering questions -- especially for newbies. If the dozen or so of us weren't here, who would answer the questions?

But TC, this policy IS new. It was never stated that every passenger on every cruise in every embarkation city would get a free night in a luxury hotel, free transportation, free breakfast and the rest. Now it has been essentially carved in stone by Mr. Conroy.

What makes it really new is that it does not say anything about having to book Regent Air to get it! It does say that if you did not book Regent air (in other words, you are a cruise-only guest as far as Regent is concerned) there will be some restrictions to the transportation from the airport to the hotel. I imagine those restrictions will apply to guests who arrive, say, in Miami instead of Fort Lauderdale.

The best part of this, as far as I can see, is that you don't even have to fly in to get it! I live just a couple of hours from Fort Lauderdale and drive to that port; according to this I will be able to take the air credit, drive down the night before, stay in a hotel, have breakfast on them, and be transferred to the ship (no restrictions on that)! In some cases, the hotel will even let me park my car in their lot for free while I'm gone.

Wow! In many embarkation ports, all that might be worth more than $600.

I am booked on a cruise that the price increased $600 ($300 pp) on October 1. If I were to take the free hotel night I would have to pay the increased fare. To me it seems Regent raises their fares to include all these extras like excursions, hotel nights, etc. I am not complaining. I just don't think we are really getting anything for free.

My observation is that the fare increases were announced months in advance, there was plenty of warning they were coming, and that those who chose to book in the last 19 days had no idea they would get this benefit. Some of the fares apparently did not increase at all -- see the post by ChuckW. The fares have not increased again as a result of this announcement, and it seems to me that once again, Regent is making a strategic marketing move to insure they are the most inclusive of all luxury cruise lines.

...Unless Regent is structured differently than other companies, the marketing department is responsible for press releases, announcements, etc.

That's the responsibility of the communications department. The marketing department determines marketing strategy.

I think that this a fabulous addition! We fly in to the port of embarkation at least a day early. In the past, this has meant that we pay the air deviation fee of $100/p.p. This will be an additional saving for passengers who decide to take advantage of this inclusion.

Regent is differentiating itself from its competitors. The direction it is taking works well for me. Way to go Regent! (Now, that's a cheerleader.)

The direction this Regent board is taking does not work well for me. Like others on this thread have posted, the repetitive negative posts can make it an unpleasant place to visit. (My comment about negative posts does not include the passengers who were on the Voyager/who have an upcoming cruise on the Voyager. However, they have typically been much less negative than many of the people posting who were not onboard/will not be onboard.)

mimito4, This board does not reflect the majority of passengers I have met on Regent. In fact, it doesn't reflect the majority of people I've met anywhere. I'm sure you'll have a great time on your cruise.

hondorner, I sure hope that we meet up on a cruise some day.

Teresa, exceptionally well said, esp your questions. Mariners, Don and you are spot on w/regard to the negativity exuded on the Regent board. Teresa, do hope Don and you decide to sail Regent--you will truly enjoy the Regent cruise experience vs. the Regent cruise critic experience (where such a tiny portion of Regent cruisers post). Teresa agree with you the Crystal board is extraordinarily positive and a delight to read; Seadream and Oceania are nearly as positive as the Crystal board and SD & O are equally as informative as the Crystal board.

Don, your sage comments are welcome as usual. Think we alll just need to look at this new Hotel included offer through our own individual cruise prism and decide if it works or not.

ps...Don, we should know within a week if we clear the Marina maiden voyage--hope to see Betsy and you on board in January.

I agree that we're used to the fact that if we want to take advantage of new offers and special discounts *after* we have booked a cruise, we have to go thru a re-booking process, and sometimes it's not feasible because of that. My TA is always on top of this dance. So this is nothing new. Too bad, but that's the way it's always been.

I like this new perk. It does away with the (for us) mandatory $100 pp deviation fee when travelling to a cruise embarkation port. Hope I get to take advantage of it some day.

Archived