Best lens to use for indoor cruise photography

PreeApproved

Just to boost what Dave said. I have the Sigma 17-50mm lens on my Nikon D5200 and love it. Very sharp and fast lens. Some of my work on my Flickr page. https://www.flickr.com/photos/jeepenfun/

Most of the first half of the first page was taken with the sigma with exception to some that where taken with my LG G4 cell phone, also an awesome camera for a cell phone. This is my main lens I use for most everything.

All those picture were taken in aperture priority mode. I shoot aperture priority 90% of the time also. Once you get the hang of making adjustments for exposure you can make adjustment and changes on the fly in just a second or too and like Dave said in aperture priority the camera automatically adjusts shutter speed according to the light readings the camera is reading. You just set the aperture to get the exposure you want and using the +/- exposure compensation you can fine tune the brightness of the exposure.

About the only time I'm in manual is if I'm shooting a water fall, stream or night time shot of stars and/or city lights and the Sigma with a F2.8 lens makes for some incredible night shots even with out a flash.

And now about flashes. OI have the Altura speed light and love it also. So simple to adjust flash intensity on the fly and it talks to my Nikon perfectly for great exposure shots. This is the one I have.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00H84WRK2/ref=s9_simh_hd_bw_p421_d0_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-2&pf_rd_r=166JWZE870BN9QDYHA18&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=2223078642&pf_rd_i=3109929011

Except I didn't get the wireless flash kit with mine. I-TTL/TTL is what setting I use my flash in most all the time. This is what allows the camera and flash to talk to each other so the flash knows the zoom of the lens your at and the flash knows what the camera is reading the lighting and exposure so the flash can give the perfect flash. Young yo is also I great brand and very popular. You are correct in reading reviews. Typically if the flash has a LOT of reviews, it's a popular flash, word gets around, this is a good and popular flash that people like and with that many reviews, if the ratings are 4-5 stars then it's proven by users it's a great flash and you should consider it for your camera bag.

But that 50mm lens you have I heard of and seen many reviews on it. It's a great lens for portraits. But you are limits to that 50mm on a crowded ship. You may not have the room to back up to get everyone in your shot. But don't get me wrong, keep that lens handy though for that great portrait shot when you have the time. The Sigma 17-50mm lens would be the better choice for the hustle and bustle of a active cruise ship with lots of kids and you don't have a lot of room to stand back to see if you can get everyone in the shot without cutting off the top of Mickey mouses ears and/or your kids torso or chin in the foreground. Lol.

I'm going to add another lens to my collection before our cruise in April but can't decide on which one I want to get for this cruise.

Looking at either the Sigma 150-600mm telephoto or the Tokina 11-16 super wide lens. Leaning more towards the Tokina though as not much use for a super telephoto on a cruise that and the telephoto is a BIG lens at 10 inches colasped and weighs over 4 pounds. I can always get that lens later for when I go up in the mountains here in Colorado to shoot wild life and birds.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00THP1A1C/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3IO4O4JOB29CH&coliid=ICCS0VDXJKRVU

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007ORX8ME/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3IO4O4JOB29CH&coliid=I2WMBWFQYTQV8V

I have the Tokina 12-28 f4 and love it for everything around the boat. Wouldn't use it for headshots necessarily but zooming to 28 (42 equivalent) on my Dx body for full length shots it's fine. It is a Dx lens though so I can't really use it effectively on my D750, but it works well with the 7000.

I don't think a nifty 50 on a crop is wide enough for what you want.

I shoot full frame Canon so the numbers are different, but for inside my 24-70 IS is my go to.

Good range,malmost never need flash.

Same with me except on Nikon Full Frame

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Same with me except on Nikon Full Frame

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

And the IS (VR isn't it for you Nikon people) gives me about 3 or 4 stops, after all I can't very well set up six flashes with wireless all over the place to get what I want.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Just curious if you have had a chance to try out this lens yet and what you think of it. I am very happy with mine.

I've just shot some test shots at various settings shooting from my front porch to make sure everything worked and looked good. I havent had a chance to get up to Rocky Mountian National Park and do some real shooting. But the results from test shooting the pictures were very sharp, color was great and it was very fast. I'm trying to find some time to make a day trip up to RMNP but it may have to wait till i go on our cruise. My wife or I will have the value internet package while on the shipe and the other will just have the Social plan so I will be able to post pictures during our cruise. I'm taking my laptop with us so I can tweek them in Lightroom and then I can post some pictures. We leave April 15th and fly overnight to Miami and stay 1 night in Miami before boarding Splendor on the 17th.

• 4 weeks later...