Port strike at Los Angeles port of San Pedro?

FredS

How will a strike at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach affect the cruise ships.

Here is article:

BY ALEX VEIGA, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 14 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES - Negotiators for a clerical union and some of the world's largest shipping lines and terminal operators were still far apart on a contract deal early Monday and facing the possibility of a strike that could cripple the nation's largest port complex.

The union's strike deadline passed at 12:01 a.m. Monday.

An hour later, John Fageaux Jr., president of the office clerical unit of Local 63, a division of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, emerged from the closed-door session firm that if talks with shipping lines at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach collapsed, the union would strike.

"We're in the process of presenting our last, best and final offer," he said.

Steve Berry, lead negotiator for the 14 marine terminal operators and other firms who employ the office clerks, said the parties were still talking shortly before dawn. He wouldn't say if any progress was being made or predict a timetable for ending discussions.

"We're working hard. We just keep going," he said.

A work stoppage could create ripple effects throughout many industries that depend on timely movement of cargo. It also would come as the ports enter their busy pre-holiday season, when shippers depend on the facilities to handle imports.

The 15,000-member ILWU has indicated it will honor picket lines, which would effectively shut down the neighboring ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach. The port complex accounts for 40 percent of all the cargo container traffic coming into the United States.

The roughly 750 clerks who work at marine terminals at the ports handle bookings for the export of cargo and other transport documents.

Under their most recent contract, full-time, port clerical workers earned about $37.50 an hour, or $78,000 a year. They also receive a pension, health care benefits free of premiums and 20 paid holidays a year.

Berry said late last week that employers' latest offer included raises that over the life of a three-year contract would bump the employees' hourly pay to $39.20; the union is seeking increases that would equal $53 per hour by the last year of the contract.

In 2002, longshore workers across the West Coast were locked out for 10 days over a contract dispute. The shutdown cost the nation's economy an estimated $1 billion to $2 billion a day.

Under their most recent contract, full-time, port clerical workers earned about $37.50 an hour, or $78,000 a year. They also receive a pension, health care benefits free of premiums and 20 paid holidays a year.

Berry said late last week that employers' latest offer included raises that over the life of a three-year contract would bump the employees' hourly pay to $39.20; the union is seeking increases that would equal $53 per hour by the last year of the contract.

And they want more.. :eek::eek:

What a country.. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I agree with Larry - that is disgusting. Unless I am mis-understanding this, they do administrative type work and they are paid $78,000!?!?! :confused: :eek: :confused: UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Does it cost that much for an eighth grade education that they need this kind of money to pay off their student loans?

Ron

Ron,

You figured it out!!! Thanks for solving the mystery! I had no idea that the LA schools were so impressive. LOL! :D

True story ! A couple of years ago we sailed out of the Port of Los Angeles. We came from LAX on a shuttle bus with about 14 other passengers. We handed our bags to the baggage handler and in the confusion we failed to tip him. When 3 of our 4 bags failed to arrive in our cabin we contacted the front desk who in turn took us to a loading area on the ship. We found our bags and discovered he had ripped off the luggage tags. We now feel bad for not tipping because really, how is a guy supposed to live on $78,000 a year ? Shame on us !

I agree that $78000 seems like an outrageous amount to most of us... at least in the midwest where I live. But, don't forget... a little tiny bungalow home out there costs probably seven times what it does in a small town in the midwest.

As far as that baggage guy ripping luggage tags off, thats just terrible! Reminds me of a time I mis-tipped a waitress. My dad had just had surgery, and after all that stress my mind apparently wasn't all there... my brother and I grabbed breakfast one morning on the way to the hospital. When I paid the bill, my brain added wrong and only tipped her 10% (thinking I was tipping 20% because she was fantastic). I didn't realize it until days later, and I felt TERRIBLE!

Back to the original topic, has anyone heard anything? We are leaving on a cruise on 8/1 from LA, and are worried how it will affect us. I called Princess and they told me it shouldn't affect the cruise portion - just the commercial side of shipping. But after reading these boards, and how people call Princess and get three different answers to the same question, it makes me wonder.

Don't forget...it seems they also get FREE insurance, a pension, AND 20 paid holidays a year! :mad:

If those 20 paid holidays include vacation then that is ok, but if not, did you know there were 20 holidays in a year?

I never knew luggage people got paid that much. I thought they worked for close to minimum and depended on tips to survive...like wait people. Interesting.:rolleyes:

I agree that $78000 seems like an outrageous amount to most of us... at least in the midwest where I live. But, don't forget... a little tiny bungalow home out there costs probably seven times what it does in a small town in the midwest.

Totally agree about the cost of living out here. I live in San Diego. But there are a lot of people with more education and skill and they make a lot less money than these guys do!! And those folks have to have homes too. :eek: Amazing to me that these folks are so well paid. Maybe there is something I am missing with their required skills or education!?! :confused: :rolleyes: :confused:

The group that is in bargining is the Office Clerks at the terminals/ports. It is not the Longshoremen's Union. The clerks make $78,000/yr with 20 holidays a year and no cost to them for medical coverage.

If they go on strike then the Longshoremen's Union will honor the strike. Will that affect the cruise ships?

The group that is in bargining is the Office Clerks at the terminals/ports. It is not the Longshoremen's Union. The clerks make $78,000/yr with 20 holidays a year and no cost to them for medical coverage.

If they go on strike then the Longshoremen's Union will honor the strike. Will that affect the cruise ships?

An hour later, John Fageaux Jr., president of the office clerical unit of Local 63, a division of the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, emerged from the closed-door session firm that if talks with shipping lines at the ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach collapsed, the union would strike.

The clerks belong to the same Union, it is all the ILWU.

I agree with Larry - that is disgusting. Unless I am mis-understanding this, they do administrative type work and they are paid $78,000!?!?! :confused: :eek: :confused: UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where can I get a job llike that??? Ill relocate!! :) :)

I cruise out of San Pedro last time there was a strike-we had no problem, but all the cargo ships were sitting out at sea waiting for the strike to be over.

That must have been quite a sight!!! :eek:

Longshoremen do not effect the Cruiseline business....although located at the dock and unless the ship is a cargo ship cruising, should not notice any changes.

And, the porters who work at the docks do not receive these exorbitant salaries....depending on their senority they may make between $8.00 and $12.00 per hour. I knew someone who made $18.00 before tips.

I got this information from our doorman, here, who once worked at the cruise docks. He said they also "pooled" their tips so everyone would receive something. Due to some cruise folks who didn't tip at all!

So, to think that these gentelmen/women who help at the docks are living the life of luxury....don't believe it! They work very hard for their wages! And earn every cent they get!

Longshoremen do not effect the Cruiseline business....although located at the dock and unless the ship is a cargo ship cruising, should not notice any changes.

And, the porters who work at the docks do not receive these exorbitant salaries....depending on their senority they may make between $8.00 and $12.00 per hour. I knew someone who made $18.00 before tips.

I got this information from our doorman, here, who once worked at the cruise docks. He said they also "pooled" their tips so everyone would receive something. Due to some cruise folks who didn't tip at all!

So, to think that these gentelmen/women who help at the docks are living the life of luxury....don't believe it! They work very hard for their wages! And earn every cent they get!

The ILWU unload and load all the cruiseships in Alaska and Canada. They make these high wages. I believe the same union also work the docks in Seattle and San Pedro. I remember the strike in 2002. The union guys in Alaska didn't affect the cruise operations, because the strike was against the Cargo Container Ships and they didn't want to affect the Cruise Ships.

Alaska? :eek: Are you nuts? The moisture in the air will not congeal with my hairspray! Maybe the union will pay for a new do? With all the benefits I'll be getting and with that enormous paycheck.....I'll have a makeup artist follow me wherever I go! Problem solved!

Are we off topic? :confused:

Archived