Best Lobster in Portland

dumbofan2008

Sorry if this has been ask before but when I search everything is from 2005/2006. We will be in Portland in September (Carnival Glory) and really want good lobster at a fair price. Does anyone have any recommendations (and prices)?

Thanks

Terri

Sorry if this has been ask before but when I search everything is from 2005/2006. We will be in Portland in September (Carnival Glory) and really want good lobster at a fair price. Does anyone have any recommendations (and prices)?

Thanks

Terri

I like Becky's Diner for straight up Maine lobster, but Bull Feeney's for lobster and a little extra.

Are you inviting us all over?:D

Only if I can charge what they are charging for lobster over in Australia, as posted on the "Lobster" thread on the RCI forum: $100/kg:eek:

My quarters cost $4.99/lb. We had two last night boiled, and boiled up two more for lobster rolls tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

We got them for $3.89/lb last week but sorry cruisers...you won't find them at that price in restaurants. They charge what we call "market price" but of course, they'll be cooked for you, served, and probably come with sides. Back to your question...Portland Lobster Company is good and it's close to the terminal. DiMillo's is close too but I'd pass. They've been around forever but that doesn't make them the best and they're usually far from the least expensive. Enjoy your visit to Portland!

We left Maine about 20 years ago, but would recommend you search for somewhere that serves fried lobster....a rare treat.

Also, makesure to get a Lobster Roll from McDonalds....the people at home will roll in laughterwhen you tell them.

Enjoy!

We left Maine about 20 years ago, but would recommend you search for somewhere that serves fried lobster....a rare treat.

Also, makesure to get a Lobster Roll from McDonalds....the people at home will roll in laughterwhen you tell them.

Enjoy!

Sorry....the McDonalds' in Maine don't serve lobster rolls any more :cool:

Only if I can charge what they are charging for lobster over in Australia, as posted on the "Lobster" thread on the RCI forum: $100/kg:eek:

My quarters cost $4.99/lb. We had two last night boiled, and boiled up two more for lobster rolls tonight.

Chicken lobsters (1-1 1/4 lbs) are now (August 2013) going for U$3.99/ pound at the supermarkets in Boston. Nice for us. At some point, it becomes a question of what's a "fair price" to the lobsterman for his labor, his diesel and his payroll for crew help, before he decides to call it quits -- and we maybe have to dive for our own supper.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

We got them for $3.89/lb last week but sorry cruisers...you won't find them at that price in restaurants. They charge what we call "market price" but of course, they'll be cooked for you, served, and probably come with sides. Back to your question...Portland Lobster Company is good and it's close to the terminal. DiMillo's is close too but I'd pass. They've been around forever but that doesn't make them the best and they're usually far from the least expensive. Enjoy your visit to Portland!

Lobster prices have been good this summer. We've enjoyed some fresh from the lobster pound tanks into steaming for our dinner. We never boil them..... steaming keeps them sweeter IMO

Catch a ride to the Lobster Shack at Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth. About a 15 minute ride from the ship, but the best selections and an awesome view. Don't feed the seagulls! The line might be 15 minutes long, but it's worth it.

Edited by Manny Rosen

The Food Network probably only taste tested lobster rolls there. You can get very good lobster rolls all over Maine. You don't need to drive all the way to Kennebunkport.

Two right near the pier..

http://www.portlandlobstercompany.com/menu.html

http://www.dimillos.com/restaurant/lunch.html

Both of these are sit down restaurants that include cole slaw and/or French fries with your roll. Both have a full bar. The Clam Shack is one of those "order at this window, pick up over there". They don't indicate if any sides come with the roll. Price is 25 cents less than DiMillo's meal.

This one, Becky's Diner, is further down Commercial St... a nice walk but not close. It's where many locals go for breakfast. Their roll is $2 less than the others and comes with chips and a pickle. Which is how my family always eats them at home... chips and a pickle! It's truly a diner if you like those (no bar).

http://www.dimillos.com/restaurant/lunch.html

Also thought of this one (thinking about where the locals hang out)... Their menu lists the lobster roll at $10.50 with chips and a pickle. It's very close to the pier. You can see it from the DiMillo's parking lot, not easily from Commercial St. It's at 5 Portland Pier. Yes, it's on the water. And yes, there's a bar. Actually, it's a great bar. ;)

http://www.yelp.com/menu/js-oyster-portland

You REALLY don't need to drive to Kennebunkport for an excellent lobster roll!

Edited by MEcruzr

Although this is not technically in Portland, has anyone ever eaten at The Clam Shack in Kennebunkport? It's been featured on the Food Network's website, and they say it has the best lobster roll in the USA.

Alan

I just saw a post about this the other day from someone on my twitter list and she said it was sadly not the best lobster roll, but the clams were good.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Born and raised Mainah here!

The Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth is sadly a tourist trap but it IS a great lobster roll and the views are wonderful, if you can't find a picnic table there's always a rock by the water's edge to sit on.

The Bite of Maine food truck found at Portland Head Light is easily one of the best lobster rolls I've ever had.

Portland Lobster Co. is good and near the ship as well as DiMillo's. Although DiMillo's (owned by a family friend) is also a bit of a tourist trap but the food is good…I mean it's hard to get a bad lobster roll in Maine for the most part.

If you really want to eat like a local go get yourself a real italian from Amato's. :)

ETA: Holy cow, did not realize how old this thread was! Sorry! It was linked in another recent post and I happened to click it.

Edited by Lammy23

• 2 months later...
Born and raised Mainah here!

The Lobster Shack in Cape Elizabeth is sadly a tourist trap but it IS a great lobster roll and the views are wonderful, if you can't find a picnic table there's always a rock by the water's edge to sit on.

The Bite of Maine food truck found at Portland Head Light is easily one of the best lobster rolls I've ever had.

Portland Lobster Co. is good and near the ship as well as DiMillo's. Although DiMillo's (owned by a family friend) is also a bit of a tourist trap but the food is good…I mean it's hard to get a bad lobster roll in Maine for the most part.

If you really want to eat like a local go get yourself a real italian from Amato's. :)

ETA: Holy cow, did not realize how old this thread was! Sorry! It was linked in another recent post and I happened to click it.

OMG I love Italian Sandwiches. I have gone to many a sandwich shop here in Virginia trying to duplicate one....but no success. Luckily we found an Amato's near the hotel we use when we visit family, so every morning we would have one for a late breakfast and then have dinner with the family.

Lobster is wonderful every where...just more expensive at DiMillo's.