Tortola - Baths

august1963

The baths are on another island Virgin Gorda.

We did it on our own by walking over to the ferry that goes there and the ferry company will than take you via van to the baths.

Do not remember all the costs but much cheaper than doing it via cruise line and you have more time there.

Just have to know the ferry schedules so you make it back on time.

Port of call pages should have costs involved.

I have never been to Tortola before....I was wondering if, instead of getting one of the shore excursions, you could just take a taxi to The Baths. If so, how far is it and about how much would it cost? Thanks a bunch!

We did the baths on our Freedom cruise - they are on Virgin Gorda - which is a different island than the ship docks at. I'm sure you could book an independent excursion - but we took the ships excursion because of the travel time to the other island.

you would need to take a water taxi over to the Baths on Virgin Gorda. We did this when we went to the BVI on the Freedom. We took the water taxi/ferry "Speedys" over. Very reasonable and seemed very safe. Actually the day that we were there the weather was rainy when we got to port and the Carnival excursions were cancelled. My Wife and I had planned to go on speedys anyway so we figured we would see if they were still running. Yes they were and we had a great time. What a great experience!!! Just be sure you pay close attention to the ferry times and be sure you know what the equates to as far as ships time.

You might also check out Tortola or Virgin Gorda in the port of call section on here. I have a feeling this thread will get moved over there anyway.

Happy cruising and have fun!!!

I have never been to Tortola before....I was wondering if, instead of getting one of the shore excursions, you could just take a taxi to The Baths. If so, how far is it and about how much would it cost? Thanks a bunch!

We too did this excursion thru Carnvial while on Freedom. I had not been to this port before, so I was unsure of the time restrictions. Carnival also uses

Speedy's Ferry for the excursions. It was at least a 45 minute ferry ride to Virgin Gorda. Once there, Carnival had arranged open air buses to take us to the Baths, approx 15 min ride. From there we walked down a long dirt path until we saw the Ocean and caves to explore. There were also lockers to rent to put our belongings in, since you will get wet while hiking thru the caves. Once you reach then end of the cave, a gorgeous almost deserted

beach with turquoise water awaits you. The waves were very rough, and the water got very deep. Water shoes are a must here. We were informed on the time to be back. There was also an outdoor restaurant to purchase drinks and limited food. This was high on the top of the mountain, great for picture taking.

This was a fantastic excursion that my whole family enjoyed.

Steelercruiser this is the Port of Call, Tortola Forum.

Yes taking a ferry on your own is the best way to go, actually, you may even beat some of the excursion crowd as well. The ferry terminal is a short walk from the dock to your left. Speedy's or Smith's ferry is the primary transportation from Road Town to Spanishtown, Virgin Gorda. There are no water taxis making this run, although there are small operators at the dock that some people take. Just beware the risks associated with these and do your due diligence and research if you have a family with you.

You can google the ferry schedules, the base fare is $30pp roundtrip if you use the same ferry both ways (sometimes you can get more time on VG by mixing the ferries and each one-way ticket is $20). The ferry is a 30 minute ride each way, you then hop a safari type taxi for a short ride to the Top of the Baths where you will find a restaurant and small pool.

You will pay a small entry fee and walk down a natural path to the shore where the Baths are. You can navigate your way through the Baths and arrive at Devils bay, then walk up another path back to the top. Water shoes are recommended. There is a small beach shop where you walk down to the beach and they have refreshments and lockers for rent as well.

If time allows you can also head for the MIneshaft Cafe for a nice lunck and spectacular panoramic views. But you will enjoy the views at the Top of the Baths. An alternate to the Baths when crowded is nearby Spring Bay, just a short walk back up the road from the Top of the Baths. You can also shop/lunch in SPanish town and walk back to the ferry from there. You'll want to take the next to last ferry back just to be safe, and be sure to get in line a little early so you have a seat.

august, Take a look at Spring Bay (youtube, reviews), it's easier to walk to from the Top of the Baths area and offers a similar experience if the Baths are crowded. You can also snorkel from there to the Baths as people move out. Just another option on a very busy day...

• 2 months later...

It depends on how much time you have of course but you generally cannot do both. It's a 30 min ferry each way + a short taxi to the Top of the Baths. YOu would probably have time to shop around the cruise ship dock when you return. YOu could also take a 1 or 2 hr tour of TOrtola when you return if time allows, prices are very reasonable and Tortola is a gorgeous island to see that way.

If interested in a Tortola beach see the thread titled the gorgeous beaches of the bvi.

I have booked the Virgin Gorda & The Baths Excursion through Carnival....it shows on my confirmation that the time is from 8:30 - 12:30 ... we are suppose to be in Tortola from 8:00 - 6:00 ..... isn't that a lot of extra time when we return? What should we do then - I sure don't want to go sit on the ship ....

gamom yes, I would want to spend much more time on VG. Your options depend on when you are in port (ferry times vs your time in port). We would want the first ferry to VG (On our own rather than on an excursion) and the next to last back so we could enjoy not only the Baths but other spots too. You could also head for the Baths after everyone else on that ship excursion left by visiting Spring Bay or Savannah Bay first.

Just a thought...

But if you return early and have 3 hrs to spend I'd recommend an island tour with a driver at the dock and perhaps a beach stop if you want that.

gamom yes, I would want to spend much more time on VG. Your options depend on when you are in port (ferry times vs your time in port). We would want the first ferry to VG (On our own rather than on an excursion) and the next to last back so we could enjoy not only the Baths but other spots too. You could also head for the Baths after everyone else on that ship excursion left by visiting Spring Bay or Savannah Bay first.

Just a thought...

But if you return early and have 3 hrs to spend I'd recommend an island tour with a driver at the dock and perhaps a beach stop if you want that.

I went ahead and booked the excursion though the ship .... mainly because my comfort level isn't very high in different places....and since my husband passed away and won't be with me .... and when I noticed the time difference...I thought that might be a good way to go to the baths and then come back to Tortola and see the island...so I should be able to just go toward the ship when we get back and catch a taxi? Are they very expensive....and do they charge per person? Do I just ask them to take me on an island tour? Anything specific I should ask to see? And one final questions do the taxis only accept cash?

Yes there will be taxis stationed near the port who give tours for different prices, if you go with others it's very cheap. Just look for one heading to the west and northside where you can get some of the great views of the bays, they will all take you to the same areas of the island. Cash only. No worries, very easy and the people of these islands are very friendly!

• 2 weeks later...

Once you get to the Baths, is there alot of swimming involved? How deep is the water and how dangerous is it? Alot of walking and hiking? How much time would you say is needed here? Do they rent snorkel equipment?

Yes there will be taxis stationed near the port who give tours for different prices, if you go with others it's very cheap. Just look for one heading to the west and northside where you can get some of the great views of the bays, they will all take you to the same areas of the island. Cash only. No worries, very easy and the people of these islands are very friendly!

Thank you so much blue_water! You are a wealth of great information:)

• 2 weeks later...
Once you get to the Baths, is there alot of swimming involved? How deep is the water and how dangerous is it? Alot of walking and hiking? How much time would you say is needed here? Do they rent snorkel equipment?

Once at the baths there is a moderate amount of walking/hiking. The water at the shore and within the rocks is not dangerous. Make mid-calf high at some spots. There are a couple waist/chest deep sections but you must venture out to those -they are not on the regular path.

Once at the baths, you NEED 1-2hrs. Anything more than that is awesome, but you can see everything in less than 2hrs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

• 2 weeks later...
Once at the baths there is a moderate amount of walking/hiking. The water at the shore and within the rocks is not dangerous. Make mid-calf high at some spots. There are a couple waist/chest deep sections but you must venture out to those -they are not on the regular path.

Once at the baths, you NEED 1-2hrs. Anything more than that is awesome, but you can see everything in less than 2hrs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Great answer. I would try to allow more time if possible and walk or swim over to Spring Bay, especiallyif thereis a crowd at the Baths. A similar topography but much less crowded. But if you have only a couple hrs you will enjoy the Baths.

Another hour at either the Top of the Baths or the Mineshaft Cafe for lunch and panoramic views is a great way to end your day.

• 4 months later...
Steelercruiser this is the Port of Call, Tortola Forum.

Yes taking a ferry on your own is the best way to go, actually, you may even beat some of the excursion crowd as well. The ferry terminal is a short walk from the dock to your left. Speedy's or Smith's ferry is the primary transportation from Road Town to Spanishtown, Virgin Gorda. There are no water taxis making this run, although there are small operators at the dock that some people take. Just beware the risks associated with these and do your due diligence and research if you have a family with you.

You can google the ferry schedules, the base fare is $30pp roundtrip if you use the same ferry both ways (sometimes you can get more time on VG by mixing the ferries and each one-way ticket is $20). The ferry is a 30 minute ride each way, you then hop a safari type taxi for a short ride to the Top of the Baths where you will find a restaurant and small pool.

You will pay a small entry fee and walk down a natural path to the shore where the Baths are. You can navigate your way through the Baths and arrive at Devils bay, then walk up another path back to the top. Water shoes are recommended. There is a small beach shop where you walk down to the beach and they have refreshments and lockers for rent as well.

If time allows you can also head for the MIneshaft Cafe for a nice lunck and spectacular panoramic views. But you will enjoy the views at the Top of the Baths. An alternate to the Baths when crowded is nearby Spring Bay, just a short walk back up the road from the Top of the Baths. You can also shop/lunch in SPanish town and walk back to the ferry from there. You'll want to take the next to last ferry back just to be safe, and be sure to get in line a little early so you have a seat.

My cruise arrives at 8:30am on a Sunday, so I would have to take the 9am ferry with Speedy. But, I am wondering if I can make reservations (I don't see the option on their website) or is it pretty much a "first come first serve" :confused:

My cruise arrives at 8:30am on a Sunday, so I would have to take the 9am ferry with Speedy. But, I am wondering if I can make reservations (I don't see the option on their website) or is it pretty much a "first come first serve" :confused:

Yeah that's how it works, but I was there as well on a Sunday and on the 9am ferry there was plenty of space. I think there were only about 20 people on the boat and most of them from the cruise ship. Many more people go with the bord or private tours to Virgin Gorda and the ferry is pretty much for the adventurous who like to save money. So you'll be perfectly fine.

I don't think they have really a space limit and I think there is space for over 300 people or more on one of this ferries. They have three decks and plenty of chairs.

According to cruisett dot com you're docked from 8 - 5:30 but that may be incorrect. But yes you just head to the ferry dock as early as you can for the next ferry, no need for reservations as you are the only ship in port. Use the 2 ferry schedules (Smith's and Speedy's, you can google their schedules for your day) to your advantage to get the most of your day on VG, and possibly have lunch at the Top of the Baths or the Mineshaft Cafe, or return early to shop near the cruise dock.and lunch at Pusser's Pub.

Have a great day!

EDIT - many ppl will take the ship excursion and go on the ferry, while others will go on their own like you. You may beat the excursion group because they will have a queue starting out but it depends on the ferry schedule and how fast you can get off the ship. But even if you don't going on your own is very easy and the ferries are very reliable. Just hop a taxi on VG and head to the Baths.

Speedy's also offers a package that includes a taxi on VG and a lunch at a small restaurant in Spanishtown which is a short walk from the ferry dock on your return. You can also shop there a little.

Edited by blue_water

Yeah that's how it works, but I was there as well on a Sunday and on the 9am ferry there was plenty of space. I think there were only about 20 people on the boat and most of them from the cruise ship.

Having said that and read through all the other posts. I was with the Jewel of the Seas (RCI) there; we were the only ship and the bord excursion to the bath didn't went with the ferry but with a private boat.

So if the bord excursion takes the ferry as well just look that you're there before the group as there are no seat numbers. It's really first come first serve.

Edited by onyx007

According to cruisett dot com you're docked from 8 - 5:30 but that may be incorrect. But yes you just head to the ferry dock as early as you can for the next ferry, no need for reservations as you are the only ship in port. Use the 2 ferry schedules (Smith's and Speedy's, you can google their schedules for your day) to your advantage to get the most of your day on VG, and possibly have lunch at the Top of the Baths or the Mineshaft Cafe, or return early to shop near the cruise dock.and lunch at Pusser's Pub.

Have a great day!

EDIT - many ppl will take the ship excursion and go on the ferry, while others will go on their own like you. You may beat the excursion group because they will have a queue starting out but it depends on the ferry schedule and how fast you can get off the ship. But even if you don't going on your own is very easy and the ferries are very reliable. Just hop a taxi on VG and head to the Baths.

Speedy's also offers a package that includes a taxi on VG and a lunch at a small restaurant in Spanishtown which is a short walk from the ferry dock on your return. You can also shop there a little.

So, we should be fine if we are the only ship in town that day. And yes you are right! We will be there from 8am to 5:30pm. So, catching the 9am ferry should be easy ;)

Another question on lunch, you mentioned the Mineshaft Cafe...would you reccomend their food over the baths? How far is it from the baths?

The Top of the Baths is a good spot and also has nice views. The Mineshaft isn's that far away (everything is close together in the Valley) and has spectacular panoramic views of the islands. We also like their signature drink, the Cave In - "It's all in the Juice, Mon!" :p

So if you're short on time the Top of the Baths is fine, if you want to add the Mineshaft that's a great spot.

http://www.mineshaftbvi.com/

There's also the Bath & Turtle Restaurant in Spanishtown that has snacks and pub-style food. They also have the Rendevous Bar right on the marina.

http://www.bathandturtle.com/location.html

But we would choose the Mineshaft if time allowed.

Enjoy!