Daily Clothes Planning Spreadsheet

I am one of those who can't decide what to pack or wear... I tend to overpack.. So I came up with a solution that helps me. I made a daily clothes spreadsheet (see below)... I also use a detailed packing list for other essentials.. Spreadsheet just helps me out planning what to pack without out emptying out all my drawers, closets, etc.

Plus, organizing and planning for a cruise is half the fun!!! :D

I don't follow the chart to a T. I do switch outfits up when I'm on board. I don't know the exact dates when Formal Nights are. I just plan on two...

As you can see, some days aren't filled in completely, some have no details because I never know what day of the week the cruise will start... Sometimes it's Saturday other times it could be mid-week. I free-hand it in according to the start of the cruise. ...

bf9cefa5-3c58-45b3-86a7-2267e90942b7_zps79b65a2b.jpg

I started with the spreadsheet as part of my packing list many years ago. Last year I segued into a Powerpoint presentation so I can look at photos - helps me transition pieces across outfits (what I learned from the VivienneFiles blog!)

I just count the number of days, and bring that many outfits....all of my make-up/hair stuff is ready to go at anytime....I use it at home in a traveling container, so I just pick it up and go. No need for a list, as everything I use is there!

DH & I learned the hard way not having a list....

One time we forgot to pack our house keys since we hired car service. Well, when we arrived back home that's when it hit us "no keys" :eek: Had to break into our own house.

Second time, it was a spare of a moment trip... No list... Told my DH to pack his own stuff...I packed mine.... When we arrived at the hotel and checked in, I started to unpack... Asked my DH where his clothes were... :eek: He didn't pack anything. :cool: We immediately went shopping... Nice way to get new clothes... I should have thought of that one. ;)

That's why I make a list, especially for a cruise. ;)

I started doing this my last few trips and it really helped me by selecting my outfits according to the activities I had planned for each port. Instead of just packing a number of shorts, tops, etc. I pack a specific outfit for each day and port. Doing this assures that I don't forget anything but also don't over pack things I probably won't wear.

I also plan each evening dress and usually save whichever happens to be a little roomy for the last night!:eek:

I am one of those who can't decide what to pack or wear... I tend to overpack.. So I came up with a solution that helps me. I made a daily clothes spreadsheet (see below)... I also use a detailed packing list for other essentials.. Spreadsheet just helps me out planning what to pack without out emptying out all my drawers' date=' closets, etc.[/b']

Plus, organizing and planning for a cruise is half the fun!!! :D

I don't follow the chart to a T. I do switch outfits up when I'm on board. I don't know the exact dates when Formal Nights are. I just plan on two...

As you can see, some days aren't filled in completely, some have no details because I never know what day of the week the cruise will start... Sometimes it's Saturday other times it could be mid-week. I free-hand it in according to the start of the cruise. ...

bf9cefa5-3c58-45b3-86a7-2267e90942b7_zps79b65a2b.jpg

I do kind of the same thing only I do it in a list format. I list out each day and a day/night outfit for each, along with the location and activity. I don't always wear every outfit on the day that it's planned, but I've packed this way for years. Just packing x or y numbers of whatever items would stress me out!

My list is similar. I found it works well for me to just list X amount of tops/shorts/dresses, rather than list by day or event. I also cut down the packing this way, only packing for 5 nights/days...I find I always have plenty of clothing. This was after years of overpacking and bringing home clean clothes, I finally learned.

I hang everything on a rolling rack, downstairs and out of the bedroom after my list is finalized. That way I can really see what I have and if anything can be eliminated, especially if I have a pair of shoes that can only be used once.

Jewelry (costume) and accessories are either hung with the clothing or folded and placed under the rack with shoes and other things that aren't hung (pj's, bathing suits, underwear, etc...)

I pack right from the rack and not only do I not forget anything this way, I don't end up packing extras, since I'm not near my closet :p

Wow! As a Newbee to cruising( next month will be our first!), I love the ideas listed here! going to print one up as soon as I post this. Thank you all for your suggestions!
VW :)

You do realize how much trouble you're in for from now on don't you? :D

It probably won't be your last. ;)

~~~

Happy ks

I was like you the first couple of cruises... Overpacked. :eek: 6 huge suitcases to be exact.

Now I get by with 5 :D

~~

suezyq50

I think the spreadsheet you are speaking of was done by a friend of mine.

Sure color is pretty and all, but who really needs to waste valuable ink, just a basic chart is all you really need. ;)

I have started doing this with my upcoming cruise.

I wrote out my list at work on Monday and went through my closet that evening as I forgot half of the clothes I had! I made some changes and typical of me, will be bringing two spare outfits just in case, but with the list I've put together, I don't see how I can over pack.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out for me! :D

I have started doing this with my upcoming cruise.

I wrote out my list at work on Monday and went through my closet that evening as I forgot half of the clothes I had! I made some changes and typical of me, will be bringing two spare outfits just in case, but with the list I've put together, I don't see how I can over pack.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it works out for me! :D

I bring a spare outfit for day and night because I know that if I don't, I'll end up spilling wine on myself or something and need to change. I'm not exactly graceful!

I bring 2 extra outfits for day and night time, just in case I want to wear something else. I also pack extra tops/shirts for hubby as well.

Scrapnana

2 :o

two 29", two 26" one 24" and a carryon

We snorkel so I need a suitcase just for equipment.

Two extra large are for our clothes. the other two are for shoes, toiletries, travel aids, technology stuff, etc.

I bring 2 extra outfits for day and night time' date=' just in case I want to wear something else. I also pack extra tops/shirts for hubby as well.

Scrapnana

2 :o

two 29", two 26" one 24" and a carryon

We snorkel so I need a suitcase just for equipment.

Two extra large are for our clothes. the other two are for shoes, toiletries, travel aids, technology stuff, etc.[/quote']

As long as you can manage it and pay for it, more power to you!

I've managed to get down to one big suitcase and a carryon with a spare carryon for on the way home. Although I'd really love to bring the garment bag and then Mom and I would have 5 bags between the two of us.

The reason I started doing photos in powerpoint is to make sure all my pieces will be used more than once (the first couple "slides" are all the items I'm bringing, grouped by type, and then I do a "slide" for each day - split into day/night or conference/leisure or whatever split makes sense)

I don't print the powerpoint but I keep it on my laptop - when I travel, I can pull it up and look at it when I need reminders of what I planned to wear. So far I've only done this on trips where I planned to bring my laptop - work trips or longer vacations. My last vacation was 10 days sailing in the Caribbean (and I mean sailing, not cruising:p) and all I wore was a bathing suit, so I did not have photos or a spreadsheet for that trip:D

(pdf of a recent business trip wardrobe attached)

NORDP 2013_outfits.pdf

Edited by Hoyaheel

I am amazed there are still ladies out there that don't have a spreadsheet:D:D:D

The only spreadsheet I use is for work.......

I am glad we all have our ways of making ourselves happy:)

I bring 1 checked bag and 1 carry on. Having a spreadsheet does not

do anything for me. So I am in your amazment category.:)

I have been using a table like this for a while now as I am a notorious overpacker and despite this my luggage is always too full/heavy and I usually have to 'readjust' stuff. :(

I make note of the days of the cruise whether it's a port day or sea day, casual or formal night and fill in the spots accordingly....

Yes I try not to - but do end up throwing in a few extras as I panic thinking I won't have enough choices (how many different colored tank tops do I really need???).....

I also have a list of what goes in the carryon, travel purse and tote bag so when travelling I am organized and have what I need......

I also get free laundry on my next cruise so trying to limit the 'basics' which I can send out....and I always travel with a digitial luggage scale so no surprises on the way back.

Yes I do get stressed out before I leave...LOL - probably why I need that vacation.

I use a spread sheet for inventory of the items I am packing incase I have to make a claim. I think as you become more experienced in cruising you get a better feel of what you need. For me I plan on wearing everything twice or more. I either hand wash or use the ship cleaning service when needed. When I start gathering clothing I try on everything to see if it still looks right and categorize them as to formal, evening, day, or shore excursions. Since I am limiting my wardrobe the selections I make are the most difficult.

Shak

Found an interesting quote

Rely-Quotes-People-who-want-to-appear-clever-rely-on-memory.-People-who-want-to-get-things-done-make-lists.png

:D

~

Wish I could be one of those who have no problem wearing things twice. (would save on packing)

Me, if I wear anything for any length of time, half hr, couple of hours, a day... it goes right into the hamper to be washed. Can't put on something that hasn't been cleaned. :o That's the ocd in me.

I do kind of the same thing only I do it in a list format. I list out each day and a day/night outfit for each, along with the location and activity. I don't always wear every outfit on the day that it's planned, but I've packed this way for years. Just packing x or y numbers of whatever items would stress me out!

I do the exact same thing! DH chuckles at me when I'm writing it up, but when we're on the cruise he always says "what am I wearing?" :D I agree, just packing a certain number of clothing items would make me feel I'm forgetting something. I'm over-organized as it is, if I tried to "wing it" on a cruise I'd freak out!

Found an interesting quote

Rely-Quotes-People-who-want-to-appear-clever-rely-on-memory.-People-who-want-to-get-things-done-make-lists.png

LOVE that quote!

The reason I started doing photos in powerpoint is to make sure all my pieces will be used more than once (the first couple "slides" are all the items I'm bringing, grouped by type, and then I do a "slide" for each day - split into day/night or conference/leisure or whatever split makes sense)

I don't print the powerpoint but I keep it on my laptop - when I travel, I can pull it up and look at it when I need reminders of what I planned to wear. So far I've only done this on trips where I planned to bring my laptop - work trips or longer vacations. My last vacation was 10 days sailing in the Caribbean (and I mean sailing, not cruising:p) and all I wore was a bathing suit, so I did not have photos or a spreadsheet for that trip:D

(pdf of a recent business trip wardrobe attached)

I do pretty much what you do, except each page not only has a photo of each item, it also has a description of each item in each outfit -- "white full skirt," "royal blue tank," "silver beaded necklace," etc. I use these itemized lists for packing.

I have a sheet for each outfit I will wear for each part of each day on the cruise. So on a day when I will be on shore, for example, I will have two or even three sheets -- excursion outfit, afternoon outfit (if we will be back on board early) and dinner outfit (we always "dress" for dinner.)

Every single part of each outfit is both listed and pictured on each sheet -- jewelry, shoes, shawl, hat -- everything. Unlike you, I print out sheets for each day and pack them in my suitcase. Once on board, I refer to them when I dress for each activity.

I always have a ball planning each outfit before I leave, and I am stress-free on board, as I know just what to wear at all times! I also can dress quickly, which my DH appreciates :), as I do not have to make any new decisions. Of course I could make spur of the moment changes when dressing if I chose to or needed to, but I don't think I ever have!

I use this system for all vacation wardrobe planning, and it has been working very well for me for years. I have re-used outfit pages for different cruises, and referred to sheets of past outfits to plan new ones. I also enjoy looking back at the pages to remember what I wore on different cruises or vacations.