How far in advance do you usually book a cruise?

MiniWinnie

Back in June my boyfriend and I took a cruise to the Bahamas on Carnival and loved it! We're now thinking of taking another cruise November 2014 but, we're unsure of when to book. Last time we booked 6 months in advance, which was plenty of time to book flights, plan excursions, etc. He thinks booking now, early January, is too soon. I think the sooner the better! When do you usually book your next cruise?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We usually average 9 months to 1 year. There are advantages... cabin choice, dining choice and you can book early saver and watch the prices.... POSSIBLY drop!!

Go for it!

Catrin

Back in June my boyfriend and I took a cruise to the Bahamas on Carnival and loved it! We're now thinking of taking another cruise November 2014 but, we're unsure of when to book. Last time we booked 6 months in advance, which was plenty of time to book flights, plan excursions, etc. He thinks booking now, early January, is too soon. I think the sooner the better! When do you usually book your next cruise?

The furthest out we've booked was 441 days. We usually book way in advance so we can choose just the right balcony cabin on the Lido deck. I watch the prices and contact out PVP when the prices go down. He adjusts them as needed.

We usually book a year out. There are 2 great points to booking this far in advance.

1) If the price goes down before your final payment you can lock in that price and if it goes up you've locked in at the lower price.

2) You get more time to plan what you're going to do while on the cruise and enjoy Cruise Critic & your roll call

Edited by Cupcrazy

I've been on about 10 cruises and the longest I've booked in advance was about 4 months, but usually about 2 months. I go on four vacations a year and usually book the next one within a month or two of being home.

Edited by RCH1234

We booked our upcoming February cruise in March of 2012!

Thanks for all the responses! Seems like the general response is as early as possible to get the best pick of cabin and dining time. As long as we do early saver to protect us from any price drops. Carnival allows you to just place the deposit up front, so if we do need to cancel/ change the dates we wouldn't be at a total loss.

Thanks for all the responses! Seems like the general response is as early as possible to get the best pick of cabin and dining time. As long as we do early saver to protect us from any price drops. Carnival allows you to just place the deposit up front, so if we do need to cancel/ change the dates we wouldn't be at a total loss.

I agree with booking early because of the early saver and price drops. However, I've never had a problem getting the cabin location and dining time I want within two or three months of sailing. And I'm picky with my cabin location and always get late dining.

I've booked as late as 5 months in advance and as early as a year. I like to handpick my cabin and give plenty of time to pay & save up. With kids and work schedules, there's no room for last minute. But plenty do it that way. I have a family friend that books days in advance. She just decides and goes. She's also retired with way more money than me.:D

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I really like to have another cruise booked before my upcoming one takes place. Makes it easier to come home knowing when I will cruise again.

It just happened that my last cruise and my two upcoming ones were all booked at 16 months out. I expected to be a little more spontaneous now that I am retired but that has not happened yet (I do love the planning and the anticipation:)).