Enchanting Rhine - AMA Waterways review - excellent customer service!

coolerchick

This was my first river cruise and it was nice. I'm not sure if I would do it again - not for anything that they did wrong, just don't think it's really my cup of tea.

I also asked other passengers their thoughts so I will add those too.

AMA Waterways - Enchanting Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam, Sept 2014

The ship - immaculate! Clean and classy. The rooms were lovely, the dinning rooms were always put together with white linens, the ship was always pristine and the staff were always cleaning. The boat was the Amacello. It had a small gym - I walked PAST it:) And the area upstairs was nice to walk around. Coffee machines available on the lounge 24hrs a day.

Food: The food was non-stop! I thought it was just 3 meals a day but it's more like 8 times a day. Early risers breakfast, then breakfast in the dining room, then late risers breakfast (pastries and doughnuts) then lunch in DR, then light lunch, then cake at 4, then dinner and then night snacking thingy. You will NEVER go hungry.

The food was OK. I would not say gourmet but it was okay. Sometimes cold, other times... meh. We only had lunch once in the dinning room (preferring the light lunch or eating out if docked) and that was for the suckling pig - I think that was probably the best meal we had on board. Bread was lovely.

Good selection of meals and there was always steak or chicken if you did not want the chef's recommendations. The service by our waiter made everything better though - a sweetheart (thanks Young!)

The thing that surprised me was the cakes - we tried the cakes several times (well, we HAD to - it was there!) and the cream part was fine, the cake part was terrible. Like cardboard. Of course, I remedied that by buying several slices at each port we visited (OMG - I am SO on a diet!).

Other passengers comments: they thought it was ok, not excellent but normal for a cruise line.

Staff: AMAZING! The best customer service I have ever experienced. You pay through the nose for these river cruises so you hope the service will live up to the cost - and it does. The staff are courteous, friendly. professional, just amazing. The receptionist was an absolute love! Our waiter and housekeeper were always smiling and on top of their game (these guys work so hard - 7 days a week for 8 months!) and their smiles never fade.

Other passengers comments: Everyone agreed that service on the Amacello has always been excellent.

Cruise Director:I don't have any experience with how they should be but for me, the cruise director was nice. She was very sweet. She seemed very young and I'm not sure if this was her first cruise. She was a tall, blonde pretty girl but she walked and talked like a 12 year old - she did not seem sure of herself but I think that experience will change that. Since I didn't really have much interaction I'm not really sure how to review.

Other passengers comments: She was not as interactive as other cruise directors. She kept herself to herself. Other CD's would joke and find time to hang out with the cruisers (again, my opinion is that she was just young and that will change with more cruises). Most of the other people I spoke to said she was "not that good".

Passengers: Older crowd, which I was expecting. 40% American, 55% Canadians, 5% other. My OH and I were prob one of the youngest couples on board (late 30's - he 40's).

Tours: The tours were ok. We stopped at several ports and I won't bore you with the details but I did not really care much for the tours. For me, the bus rides were long and boring and did not really seem worth traveling for several hrs for the end results.

I really enjoyed when we had time on our own to explore.

Other passengers: They said it was "the usual" for river cruises. Some had really good guides and enjoyed them, others not so much. One mentioned that since we were docked so far from everything, there really wasn't that much of a choice. Others complained that the tours were too slow.

Room: Our room was excellent - a suite. I loved the space and the bathroom was a very good size. Comfy bed and very quiet.

Entertainment: Not my thing. Only one night there was a motown singer - he was great. The rest of the local talent - not so much.

Dress Attire: I overpacked! I lived in my jeans and capris. The rest of the ship was the same. I dressed up for Captains Dinner but most people were in jeans and very casual clothes (only those who ate at the Cap's table were dressed up.)

Other tips: We stayed in Lucerne for a couple of days (LOVED Lucerne) and took the train to Basel on the day of embarkation. We were quoted 45 euro for a taxi to take us to the port. The guy in the information booth told me to take the tram, that it was super easy and would cost 3 euro.

And it was super easy! We actually bought a day pass since we went to the ship, dropped off our luggage (it was about 11:30am) and then went back into Basel to look around. The port is about a 10 minute walk.

Public transportation is excellent is Europe.

We disembarked in Amsterdam and stayed a couple more days there. I didn't know that we would arrive so early in Amsterdam (by ship) or I would not have booked a stay for another couple of days. I really have nothing nice to say about Amsterdam except that there is a train that will take you directly to the airport and it's also very easy.

If there is anything else you would like to know, please feel free to ask.

Edited by coolerchick
forgot to add

Like you, we our doing our first river cruise in December on AmaSonata Budapest to Amsterdam. I enjoyed your comments and always appreciate an honest perspective. We have only been to Amsterdam once but enjoyed the city. We found it clean, easy to maneuver, and fun. But hey, I love New York City too! (No flaming please:D) We are spending several days there also after the cruise. If you think of anything else please post.... Thanks again!

Interesting comment about Amsterdam. We loved it-ate our way through the city, took HOHO canal boat, wine and cheese canal ride in the evening.

How was the evening wine and cheese canal ride? Sounds like something we might enjoy. We will be in Amsterdam next June for a few days before embarking on a Uniworld cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Coolerchick - Did I understand you correctly? I think you said it was a 10 minute walk to the ship from where the tram left you off in Basel. Is that right? Were you schlepping your suitcases during that 10 min. walk?

I've heard from others that it's better to take a taxi from the train station, so that's why I'm asking. Thanks for a very good review!

What sort of long bus rides did you encounter on this itinerary? We did same on another line and the only bus ride was optional to Alcacse wine country

The first tour was the Breisach & Freiburg excursion - 1.10 mins by bus going, 45 walking tour, then 30 mins (I think) free time, then 1 hr by bus back to boat. This bus ride felt very long, first there was no panorama, just corn and tobacco fields. The tour guide was not good at all. She had this monotone voice and we all agreed that she was putting us to sleep.

I found out later that a tour guide makes or breaks the tour. Once we got there we were fortunate enough to be taken around by a wonderful guide. I later found out that 3 couples that were in her group left and came over to us.

The other was Heidelberg excursion - that was going to be another 2 hrs total bus ride. I heard from others later than it was a good tour but they would pass next time.

The others I believe were walking tours or city tours.

Coolerchick - Did I understand you correctly? I think you said it was a 10 minute walk to the ship from where the tram left you off in Basel. Is that right? Were you schlepping your suitcases during that 10 min. walk?

Yep and yep! Now bear in mind that our ship was the first one there - so depending on which ship or line, it may be further away.

We had one rolling case each, I had a smaller rolling carry-on too and my OH had a backpack. We rolled through the street easily enough. It's not a pretty walk but it's easy.

I've heard from others that it's better to take a taxi from the train station, so that's why I'm asking. Thanks for a very good review!

At the time I felt we were the only ones who would do something so stoopid. But then I found out several others had too.

So it's really a preference. To us it was an adventure.

On first time AMA next week. Trying not to pack so much....from what you said sounds like most were very casual. I'm trying to avoid Sports Coat dress shirts etc. are nice slacks and a sweater for evening ok or should I take the Sportscoat, etc??

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On first time AMA next week. Trying not to pack so much....from what you said sounds like most were very casual. I'm trying to avoid Sports Coat dress shirts etc. are nice slacks and a sweater for evening ok or should I take the Sportscoat, etc??

Thanks

We have done three AMA cruises. No jackets needed. Nice slacks and sweater will be fine.

Have a great cruise!

Like you, we will be first time river cruisers aboard the AMA Certo Enchanting Rhine cruise next Oct 2015.

We too are also considering staying pre cruise in Lucerne. I know Switzerland is expensive but wondering where you stayed and what kind of costs are we looking at for accomodations and food ?

Nice to see that the cruise attire is casual. Have done a few big ships cruises and get tired of bringing a suit.

Thanks again for taking the time and providing us feedback on your cruise.

Yep and yep! Now bear in mind that our ship was the first one there - so depending on which ship or line, it may be further away.

We had one rolling case each, I had a smaller rolling carry-on too and my OH had a backpack. We rolled through the street easily enough. It's not a pretty walk but it's easy.

At the time I felt we were the only ones who would do something so stoopid. But then I found out several others had too.

So it's really a preference. To us it was an adventure.

Thank you so much for answering my questions! I appreciate it. Guess we'll decide at the time how pampered we want to be or if we feel a little more adventurous. Thanks again! ;)

What sort of long bus rides did you encounter on this itinerary? We did same on another line and the only bus ride was optional to Alcacse wine country

We did this cruise on AMA, from Amsterdam to Basel, and did not find bus rides to be a problem [and DW hates bus rides!]. Cologne--short bus ride; Koblenz--no bus; Rudesheim--short "mini-train," no bus; Heidelberg--90 min. bus ride, but only because we chose the Heidelberg option, and it was worth it; Strasbourg--the bus ride was interesting because it covered the new town and EU HQ; Colmar/Riquewihr--there must have been a bus ride but my notes don't mention it so it can't have been long or boring.

My notes do mention that those passengers who chose the Breisach/Freiburg option--rather than Colmar/Riquewihr--were disappointed in their tour overall. A boring tour would certainly make the bus ride much more tiring, and coming early in the cruise--in OP's direction--this might set the tone for other shore excursions.

When we visited Cologne with AMA, we were docked in the center and walked to town, which was only a few minutes. In Koblenz, we were also a short walk to town.

I was surprised to read the criticism of the long bus rides in the OP's post. It is easy enough to find out in advance this info about an included or optional tour and decide accordingly IMO if a bus ride does not appeal.

We are on this cruise in December and already know that we will opt of Breisach and in for Heidelberg. A look at a map and some basic research showed me that we will have a decent ride to get there but it has been on our list for awhile and we are looking forward to seeing it.

We did this cruise on AMA, from Amsterdam to Basel, and did not find bus rides to be a problem [and DW hates bus rides!]. Cologne--short bus ride; Koblenz--no bus; Rudesheim--short "mini-train," no bus; Heidelberg--90 min. bus ride, but only because we chose the Heidelberg option, and it was worth it; Strasbourg--the bus ride was interesting because it covered the new town and EU HQ; Colmar/Riquewihr--there must have been a bus ride but my notes don't mention it so it can't have been long or boring.

My notes do mention that those passengers who chose the Breisach/Freiburg option--rather than Colmar/Riquewihr--were disappointed in their tour overall. A boring tour would certainly make the bus ride much more tiring, and coming early in the cruise--in OP's direction--this might set the tone for other shore excursions.

Excellent review Coolerchick. Every bit of input helps when planning. We are also taking our first river cruise on AMA, Paris to Prague, in September 2015. At least one of our stops will be the same as yours along the Rhine, so I love reading every review. I wish more people would post reviews, so again, loved reading yours.

My question for anyone who has cruised with AMA, is based on Host Jassbeau's comment above about chooing the Breisach/Freiburg option -- rather than Colmar/Riquewirh. When do you - or can you - receive the information telling you which tours are available, and which tours are optional. I would like to do research ahead of time, and least have a pretty good idea which tours I will be selecting. Some of my decision making will be based on bus rides and the time to get to a destination.

We have only made a small deposit so far, so would not request that information yet. . . but after making final payment is this something that can be requested from AMA. I know they send you documents 3 or 4 weeks before travel, but again, can that information be requested sooner.

Thanks for any input.

My question for anyone who has cruised with AMA, is based on Host Jassbeau's comment above about chooing the Breisach/Freiburg option -- rather than Colmar/Riquewirh. When do you - or can you - receive the information telling you which tours are available, and which tours are optional. I would like to do research ahead of time, and least have a pretty good idea which tours I will be selecting. Some of my decision making will be based on bus rides and the time to get to a destination.

We have only made a small deposit so far, so would not request that information yet. . . but after making final payment is this something that can be requested from AMA. I know they send you documents 3 or 4 weeks before travel, but again, can that information be requested sooner.

Thanks for any input.

If you read the detailed itinerary on their website, it states most of this info. When you receive your travel documents a few weeks prior, there will be a more detailed agenda.

I assume you are on "Europe's Rivers and Castles"? This is the detail for just one of the ports:

COCHEM - KOBLENZ – RHINE RIVER GORGE – RÜDESHEIM

Today, enjoy a guided tour of Cochem that takes you to the spectacular hilltop Reichsburg Castle, offering fantastic views of the river valley below. Or, opt to take a walking tour of Koblenz and explore its charming town square and quaint shops. Return to the ship for a scenic afternoon cruise along the most beautiful stretch of the Rhine, with castle ruins, fortresses and the legendary Lorelei Rock. We arrive in Rüdesheim this evening and visit Siegfried’s Mechanical Musical Instrument Museum. The ship moors overnight in Rüdesheim.

If it is optional (meaning extra cost), it states: You may choose to join an optional “Seine Cruise & Eiffel Tower” tour today which offers different views of the city. Tonight, an optional “Montmartre & Illuminations” is also available to give you a sense of Paris after dark. (B)

Thanks

Nice slacks and sweater perfect.

Most only wore that on Captains night. There were about 20 people who wore the shirt and tie thing but they were all together and took pictures afterwards.

For all other nights, most men wore either jeans, docker like trousers and golf shirts.

Whatever you feel comfortable in.

Like you, we will be first time river cruisers aboard the AMA Certo Enchanting Rhine cruise next Oct 2015.

We too are also considering staying pre cruise in Lucerne. I know Switzerland is expensive but wondering where you stayed and what kind of costs are we looking at for accomodations and food ?

Nice to see that the cruise attire is casual. Have done a few big ships cruises and get tired of bringing a suit.

Thanks again for taking the time and providing us feedback on your cruise.

Oooo, you'll have a great time!!!

We stayed at the Hotel Des Balances. The Hotel location was great - the room not so good - I'm sure they gave us the worst room since we paid with points.

It's expensive so if there is a chance to bid on priceline - any of the Hotels in that area (which overlook the river and is an 8 min walk from the train station) would be great to bid on. (I think it's about $200.00 per night).

The food price is not sooo bad. The only thing that really disgusted us was that my water was more expensive that OH's beer! (water 6.50 euro, beer 4.50).

You can get great sandwiches at the train station or any of the Cafe Heini places. The food along the river will be more expensive. We had a pizza at one of the places there and it was really good. Split a pizza, 1 beer and 1 water. 30 Euro.

Also, ice cream is a MUST! OMG - Movenpick - very expensive but very good.

And if you like chocolate - you won't find better than Laderach. Locations everywhere.

Edited by coolerchick

When we visited Cologne with AMA, we were docked in the center and walked to town, which was only a few minutes. In Koblenz, we were also a short walk to town.

I was surprised to read the criticism of the long bus rides in the OP's post. It is easy enough to find out in advance this info about an included or optional tour and decide accordingly IMO if a bus ride does not appeal.

We are on this cruise in December and already know that we will opt of Breisach and in for Heidelberg. A look at a map and some basic research showed me that we will have a decent ride to get there but it has been on our list for awhile and we are looking forward to seeing it.

Hey Caviargal - I think you are the reason we booked AMA. Your reviews were so positive. So, thanks!

Regarding bus rides - I hate bus rides but will do them in order to see the sights. We were told that the bus ride would be about 35-45 minutes each way. Again, that was fine - I really believe that the tour guide was the one that ruined it for us.

It was longer but seemed really, really long. She was so bad. Again, I asked around since I didn't know if this was the norm and was told that she was really boring.

The other tour bus had a guide that sang french to them and told jokes.

So I think it's just a preference thing.

Yes, it really put us off BUT it was fine since we had more time to do our own thing.

We spoke to the passengers who took the Colmar tour and they loved it - again mentioning the guide as lovely and entertaining.

Edited by coolerchick

Hey Caviargal - I think you are the reason we booked AMA. Your reviews were so positive. So, thanks!

Regarding bus rides - I hate bus rides but will do them in order to see the sights. We were told that the bus ride would be about 35-45 minutes each way. Again, that was fine - I really believe that the tour guide was the one that ruined it for us.

It was longer but seemed really, really long. She was so bad. Again, I asked around since I didn't know if this was the norm and was told that she was really boring.

The other tour bus had a guide that sang french to them and told jokes.

So I think it's just a preference thing.

You are welcome and I am glad your cruise was mostly enjoyable.:)

A tour guide can really ruin an excursion - sorry you had a bad one! At least on a walking tour, you can just excuse yourself. But on a bus, it is more difficult. I hope you were honest and detailed on your comment card at the end of the cruise.

I, too, hate bus rides, and sometimes we will DIY a train instead to have more freedom. I research things thoroughly to try and determine our best option.

Thanks for sharing your experience.