Are Women OK To Wear Shorts?

MikeyS

We are on our way on a 12 Day cruise next week orginating in Barcelona with stops in France, Greece, Itay and Turkey. My wife has heard from somone it is not recommended or appropriate for women to wear shorts while on excursions due to local customs. This is very hard for me to believe given the countries we will be visiting. HELP

Shorts are absolutely fine in France, Greece and Italy, just tell her to bring a sarong in her handbag to tie around her waist when you visit cathedrals (she has to cover her shoulders too in many of them, so 2 cover ups if she plans to wear tank tops with her shorts).

I'll let others weigh in on Turkey, I've never been. She may prefer a long skirt or light pair of pants there.

I think maybe the person telling your wife was mixing up the facts a bit. There is no problem culturally with women wearing shorts in the countries you mention, with the possible exception of some places in Turkey.

That said, European women -- especially in cities -- would rarely be wearing shorts. In a city like Rome, Athens, Barcelona, local women will have on skirts or pants (jeans are fine). Tourists will be wearing shorts; so if you are okay with that then there is no problem other than, as mentioned above, some cathedrals (and mosques, in Turkey) require you to have both knees and shoulders covered for entrance.

In Turkey, especially in Istanbul, I probably wouldn't recommend shorts. You'll see some, but probably fewer than in other cities. However, in Kusadasi, which is more of a resort area, shorts are fine.

Ladies in shorts are not fine in churches and cathedrals. She would be denied entry into a number of places. Crops and Capri pants are a better choice IMO

On the beach in Greek islands, sure.

But in a Greek church in Athens...... not a good choice. IMO

I agree with Cruisemom. I have never seen a European lady in shorts on a city street in any major European city.

ladies in shorts are not fine in churches and cathedrals. She would be denied entry into a number of places. Crops and capri pants are a better choice imo

on the beach in greek islands, sure.

but in a greek church in athens...... Not a good choice. Imo

i agree with cruisemom. I have never seen a european lady in shorts on a city street in any major european city.

ditto!

I wouldn't wear shorts in September on a Mediterranean cruise -- not really worried that it wouldn't be "allowed", but that I would feel underdressed. I wouldn't wear shorts to tour NYC either, but they are certainly fine all year where I live in Arizona.

If your wife doesn't care that she is dressed like a North American (as opposed to a European), no one else will care either.....I certainly didn't care and wore shorts all over Spain and Portugal. However, covering knees and shoulders in places of worship is appropriate and often required for admittance.......If she wants to wear shorts she can carry a sarong-type of wrap to put over it to cover her knees.

Archived