Tropical Treasures 2014

We are off on the cruise in Jan next year first time to Caribbean on the itinerary it says that the ship gets back into Barbados at 06:00. What time do you have to leave the ship as the flight home is 16:20.

Spending money on the islands is it best to take US Dollars.

Thanks

We had an afternoon flight last year and had the morning on the ship. You are ok to eat and drink till your coach comes in for you, and can store any hand luggage. Reception keep you informed. Our flight was delayed so we were ok for lunch before the coaches came in. We are on Tropical Treasures January as we booked 2014 after enjoying 2013 so much.

We are off on the cruise in Jan next year first time to Caribbean on the itinerary it says that the ship gets back into Barbados at 06:00. What time do you have to leave the ship as the flight home is 16:20.

Spending money on the islands is it best to take US Dollars.

Thanks

Thomson are really good in this respect. Because they control the fly/cruise package they do not expect you to leave the ship until an appropriate time for your flight home. My guess would be that you will be taken from the port to the airport sometime around 14.00 for your flight. Until that time you have free run of the ship, lounges, with access to the restaurants, still with AI (if you have it) and you can even go off into Bridgetown/to the beach in the morning should you wish.

You will however be asked to vacate your cabin some time perhaps around 9.00 (anything later will be a bonus) so that the stewards can prepare the cabins for the new guests. There are some courtesy cabins available to use during the day (details will be in the info you are given on board) and you can book a cabin for the day for your exclusive use should you wish - there is a charge for that option though. Your cases will have been picked up the night before but there is a secure left-luggage system on board where you can leave your hand-luggage (but keep your passport and essentials with you) so you don't need to be carting stuff around until you leave the ship.

Yes US$ rule in the Caribbean - only exception we found was in Guadeloupe whihc is fiercely French and therefore demand € - but I don't think Thomson have that on their itineraries this season. Just check that if you are dealing with market traders etc in any islands which use Eastern Caribbean $ (EC$) that they will give you change in US$ as you may not be able to use the EC$ up if the next islands you visit don't use them. But we've never had a problem just taking US$ - it's a good idea though when you go to get your currency to ask at the currency exchange to supply you with some small value notes, 1$, 5$ and 10$ bills as especially for taxis, tips etc small currency can be useful.

Have a great time. It's a fab area to visit - especially in the depths of the winter! ;)

Hi :)

We are on this cruise in March and plan to take US dollars for Barbados, Euros for St Barths, and I think it's East Caribbean Dollars for Dominica, St Vincents, Antigua and Tortola and will take some sterling too. But I think US dollars could be used for all except St Barths may be wrong though as this is the first time for us.

yep....us dollars are accepted all over the caribbean

agree on the small notes....sometimes they will give change in local currency which you may not be able to use up? and many will not accept an $100 dollar bill

no need to take any aruba florin/east caribbean dollar/barbados dollar (s)

however if will be travelling on local busses...they usually only accept local currency....but very cheap

have a great time:cool:

Hi kruzseeker....just read your reply so think we will take mostly US dollars + Euros for St Barths and a few East Caribbean dollars.

Hi barnowl - yes US$ are pretty universal. We've been to quite a lot of the islands (not St Bart's though) and have never used anything else and not used/taken EC$ although they have been the currency in some islands we've been to. The thing to remember with the Caribbean is the volume of American tourists they receive - all carrying US$ with little thought that the mighty $ will be anything other than very welcome. And indeed it is. The islands are so dependent on tourism they make it very easy for you to trade with them. Good idea re the € though - you can always use them again (sure you'll be going somewhere you can spend them!:D) And there is nothing surer than you can find plenty of interesting, local souvenirs - or local rum(!) to use up the left over currency. ;) :D

I'm sure you'll just love the the atmosphere, warmth (ot the people as well as the weather!) and culture of the Caribbean, barnowl. We never had it on our radar until we spotted a bargain on the Destiny - and were bowled over and have just loved it each time we've gone back. Enjoy! :)

Hi kruzseeker....have some Euros left from last week (Benidorm):D so can use them at St Barths it's French but they take US dollars too. Agree that taking US dollars would be best.

Must remember to keep some Euros from Adriatic cruise to use in St Barths too. :D:D

Must remember to keep some Euros from Adriatic cruise to use in St Barths too. :D:D

You're beginning to show signs of a committed (or is it addicted) cruiser, Jakanne! Any left over currency ......................... and you've just GOT to book another cruise to use it up!!!! ;):D:D

You're beginning to show signs of a committed (or is it addicted) cruiser, Jakanne! Any left over currency ......................... and you've just GOT to book another cruise to use it up!!!! ;):D:D

Committed or addicted Kruzseeka ......must be both because I already have the next one booked. Caribbean 23rd February with 3 girlfriends! :):)

yep, it is usually on the sea day....I have noticed over recent years that, yes the caribbean cruises are becoming more casual...but many do still wear dj's for formal night.... you can easily get away with a shirt & tie (you wont be out of place with either)

OMG I so love the Caribbean! I've just returned from a Greek Isles cruise on Ruby Princess - it was fab. We did b2b Caribbean on Dream back in March - so great to have that lovely sunshine in winter.

On our leaving day we had a great morning just off the ship in that shopping mall (complete with wifi) and drank a few beers at the bar outside. On our first Barbados departure last year we just sat at the back of deck 7 and enjoyed the sunshine till we got the call. It's great that Thomson leave you on the ship till nearer your flight time.

Sent from my mobile using Tapatalk.

Archived