quoting copyrighted material on CC boards

Host Star

please be advised you may post a link to copyrighted material but you cannot cut and paste quotes or quote from copyrighted material.. any questions please contact a moderator..

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This probably needs to be clarified. Technically, by definition, anything that is written down by anybody is copyrighted. If this request is followed to the letter, then nobody would ever be allowed to quote anything ever written by anybody else!

Theron

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

OK I understand about the copyrighting and using a link to it but what about all the pictures, icon, and photos from movies, books, magazines... that is next to people's names? Is that considered copyrighted. I know I am not using the correct terminology but isn't a photo, from lets say Pirates of the Caribbean, copyrighted by the movie company? I want to post a picture next to my name but not sure if it would be legal for me to use it?

• 2 years later...

i just stumbled across this and thought it was a joke at first. since when did a cruise related message board become like grad school? i'm sorry, but planning my vacation is the ONE time i get to rest from being paranoid about proper citations and formatting in my writing. i haven't found the need to copy paste anything, but seriously,is this just some kind of disclaimer?

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
i just stumbled across this and thought it was a joke at first. since when did a cruise related message board become like grad school? i'm sorry, but planning my vacation is the ONE time i get to rest from being paranoid about proper citations and formatting in my writing. i haven't found the need to copy paste anything, but seriously,is this just some kind of disclaimer?

like this? jk :)

Actually, there has been a somewhat recent development in this issue. A "company" (I am loath to even describe them with what is usually a word reserved for legitimate people) named Righthaven has been created and exists solely to hunt down copyright violations on blogs and message boards, and sue the owners and settle the cases for cash in lieu of going to trial.

Google "Righthaven" and you can read all about them. I personally think they are worse than the slime of the earth, and I hope that they are soon shut down for this egregious abuse of the US legal system. I hope their lawyers are at least disbarred, if not incarcerated.

Ask me nice and I'll tell you how I really feel! ;)

Theron

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

As a follow-up to my earlier post, I am extremely pleased to report that Righthaven, the company that was founded solely for the purpose to pursue illegitimate copyright infringement claims against internet message forums, has been quite soundly defeated, and is now in receivership, even having had to auction off their own domain name to raise money to pay their debts.

I can't tell you how pleased I am that the US legal system has seen to it that justice has prevailed in this case.

Although the current news is that they are trying to gain permission to appeal one of their groundbreaking losses, it appears that will be quite a long-shot.

This development should provide a significant relief for the draconian rules that many message forums have had to impose concerning the fair-use copying of published material.

Hopefully the owners and managers of Cruise Critic will take another look and relax their rules as well.

Until that time, here is a link to a very recent article on the Righthaven case, and their significant losses in court, and their current status. Since I cannot quote even one sentence from the article, I will ask you to read the link, and search for the one sentence that describes out of the many thousands of cases that were filed exactly how many of them Righthaven won, once they actually made it to a courtroom. :D

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/07/righthaven-second-life

Theron

• 10 months later...
As a follow-up to my earlier post, I am extremely pleased to report that Righthaven, the company that was founded solely for the purpose to pursue illegitimate copyright infringement claims against internet message forums, has been quite soundly defeated, and is now in receivership, even having had to auction off their own domain name to raise money to pay their debts.

I can't tell you how pleased I am that the US legal system has seen to it that justice has prevailed in this case.

Although the current news is that they are trying to gain permission to appeal one of their groundbreaking losses, it appears that will be quite a long-shot.

This development should provide a significant relief for the draconian rules that many message forums have had to impose concerning the fair-use copying of published material.

Hopefully the owners and managers of Cruise Critic will take another look and relax their rules as well.

Until that time, here is a link to a very recent article on the Righthaven case, and their significant losses in court, and their current status. Since I cannot quote even one sentence from the article, I will ask you to read the link, and search for the one sentence that describes out of the many thousands of cases that were filed exactly how many of them Righthaven won, once they actually made it to a courtroom. :D

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/07/righthaven-second-life

Theron

Looks like Righthaven is gone for good.

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/05/9th-circuit-no-relief-copyright-troll-righthaven

Music to my ears! Thanks for posting.

Although the Ninth Circuit is well known for being the "most overturned" circuit in the country, I think they hit the nail square on the head with this one.

Theron