Rick Steves' Velocé Shoulder Bag

crystalspin

In light of the other Rick Steves bag question, I'll throw one out there about the full-size Velocé (not the iPad mini Velocé). By description it is about the capacity of the daypack of other thread (about 800cu.in), plus it has a zipout gusset to increase that by 20%.

Its dimensions are very similar to the Miche Prima bag I took on our last cruise (and flights), except all of the 'depth' is usable where I had to underpack the Miche bag so it would close at the top. And since the Prima opens on its long side (like a valise not a daypack) that was considerably larger amount of space lost. I estimated useful space was about 720cu.in. compared to 825 (unexpanded) for the Velocé.

Anyway, I think I'm in the market for a new "personal item" bag for flights, and it would be handy if it served for bus excursions (we are not much for beach days, so raincoats not towels!). The description of the Velocé says it's made super durable high-density polyester, so thinking that is beefier than the daypack that was panned in the other thread? I don't want super heavy (that's the other problem with the Miche Prima which is probably bulletproof), just substantial enough that I don't feel like I'm gonna put my finger through it!

Anyone have this bag?

http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=8&id=217

Edited by crystalspin

I have a similar bag made by Eagle Creek - pretty much the same dimensions and features. I don't think the Eagle Creek bag is currently available. Regarding the Rick Steves bag - I like the exterior water bottle pockets, fit over rolling luggage feature and flexibility. I would not use the shoulder straps on the Rick Steves bag. I don't use backpacks when traveling, but prefer a cross-body style where I can keep my things close. Also, I don't use bags with obvious USA company logos that are featured as prominently as the Rick Steves embroidered logo. I don't like broadcasting that I'm an "USA American" tourist.

I have a similar bag made by Eagle Creek - pretty much the same dimensions and features. I don't think the Eagle Creek bag is currently available. Regarding the Rick Steves bag - I like the exterior water bottle pockets, fit over rolling luggage feature and flexibility. I would not use the shoulder straps on the Rick Steves bag. I don't use backpacks when traveling, but prefer a cross-body style where I can keep my things close. Also, I don't use bags with obvious USA company logos that are featured as prominently as the Rick Steves embroidered logo. I don't like broadcasting that I'm an "USA American" tourist.

I have the EC bag you are talking about, I believe. Bought it back in 2007. Called the CarryOn ES. Great bag. But, too big and too constructed to be an everyday cross-body bag.

Edited by slidergirl

Thanks for your comments! I went searching for Eagle Creek, that led me to eBags, which reminded me of a bag I had considered of their own label -- the Kalya Town Square:

http://www.ebags.com/product/ebags/kalya-town-square/57682?productid=1246634&rlid=HOME_RR

I mentally went back and forth on the main differences: "landscape" vs "portrait" orientation (i.e. briefcase vs daypack) and the ability to carry as a backpack (which I would not do on an excursion but might in an airport or during embarkation if shuffling additional things along [i.e. WINE]). Different color choices (I know, silly criterion!), different arrangement and number of pockets... I could not make up my mind!

I took a break and ran some errands, one of which was a stop at the office supply for a pocket folder to start organizing the paperwork for cruise and ports. AHA! the only one with enough pockets had the landscape orientation, so like that, my choice was made.

Here's one for you -- before going back to eBags.com, I checked my email and (can you believe?!!) there was a message from eBags giving me 15% off any purchases OF THEIR BRAND-LABELED items, for today only! Then when I applied it to my purchase, I actually got 20% off! I should buy a lotto ticket!

With the discount, I needed a few dollars more to make the free shipping threshold, so I got some Travelon 2-oz Smart Tubes for shampoo. We never use anything like 3.5 ounces so why carry it?!!

(Oh yeah, I bought the Eggplant color. Our suitcases are already marked with purple ducktape.)

P.S. contributing factors to the decision -- have done business with eBags before, both through eBay and their website... including returns that were handled smoothly. 100% guarantee/warranty on their branded items. And, quite importantly -- tons of reviews of the Kalya, 99% favorable, the only repeated "complaint" was that it was too big for people who wanted to use it as an everyday purse!

Edited by crystalspin
P.S.